HELP with nail cutting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstiBunners

Reaction score
I've been trying to cut my buns nails on my own for the past couple of weeks now, but I cannot get her to settle down. She doesn't like being carried and definitely won't let me put her on her back. We've tried wrapping her in a towel, but she either struggles or will bite whoever is holding her. What should I do? I can only get a couple nails here and there.

since you said "we've tried", my assumption is you have a partner the can help. My son holds the bunnies in the "prairie dog" position while I hold one leg at a time and clip.He holds them securely so they can't squirm around and I hold the leg in such a way that they can't pull it away. I always tell everyone to talk to the vet tech and have them show you how they do it.

You can make a Bunny Burrito. I've never done it, but it seems simple enough.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3okPKg9Fc8[/ame]

And if you do a search on Youtube, you'll find a bunch of videos on clipping bunny nails.

I've used the "Bunny Burito" before after seeing our vet use it every time and it's a very good trick. I highly recomend it. Also, lots of treats helps them sit still.

I find that my bun actually is extremely tough to get into a bunny burrito regardless of the fact that he is constantly socialized, he is just slightly skittish. I have to rush to wrap the towel around him, surprising your bun might work better for you if she's anything like my Peter Cartier.

Good luck! I always find clipping nails stressful simply because it makes me look like the bad guy, although after wards he can binky with ease :)

bunny burrito is the method my boys HATE the most lol.
they feel like the shirt is some weird predator snake strangling them, so they struggle like hell :(
I'll usually get my boyfriend to help hold them because he has larger hands and a firmer grip, while I cut their nails.

if I'm doing it alone, I'll cradle the lil one and just talk to him. My 3 boys always fall asleep when i talk to them, maybe you can try it :p not for too long though, they'll start struggling :B

All right, now you guys have me wondering what Max would think of the bunny burrito. Going to go try it now and then (provided I have arms and hands left) I'll let you know how it works with a VERY spoiled French Lop doe going through Teen 'Tude. lol

wendymac wrote:
All right, now you guys have me wondering what Max would think of the bunny burrito. Going to go try it now and then (provided I have arms and hands left) I'll let you know how it works with a VERY spoiled French Lop doe going through Teen 'Tude. lol

Offer her some banana after. Might make that attitude wear off faster ;) oh and watch for the nails. Good luck :] she's pretty btw xx

So the bunny burrito doesn't work very well for Asti :(
She fusses so much that it falls apart or we let go of her because we're afraid she'll get hurt. We ended up just taking her to the vet to get her nails trimmed... Any other ideas? I'd rather not pay every time she needs a manicure :p

All mine get scared when I tried to bunny burrito.

This is what I did to get my bunnies nails clipped. I first started touching their feet. I had to win their trust. I evenstarting flipping themso they would get usedtoit. I handled them very day. After about two weeks, I introduced the clippers. Just let them smell it. Put it near the feet. etc. After another couple days, I started to trim a couple nails at a time. My husband was right there helping me.

Though some still struggle, it is getting better. Dobby is so relaxed now, that I can flip him over, lay him on my lap on his back, and he won't move. Very relaxed and the nails are cut. And with no husband around. All bymyself.

It does take time. I know about manicures through my vet ($12 for each bun) so I knew I had to find a way to do it myself. With the help of my husband, I got there.

Plus treats after all sessions, do work wonders.

Hope this helps!

K:)

I burritoed up Harriet whenever I couldn't take being clawed anymore. She didn't like it and I accidentally clipped a nail too short and felt horrible. It was a bad experience all around, but she got a banana afterwards and seems to have forgotten the whole ordeal.

Latest posts

Back