Help with Male Bunny pulling out his fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukupecpec

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this was better suited for health and wellness or nutrition and behavior so I'll just go with behavior.

I've got a friend with a male black lop eared rabbit who was found in an empty lot and brought to her (she runs a dog and cat rescue) and she's done a bunch of research and has been taking care of him but something is just wrong. We've gone over his diet - 1/4C pellets twice daily, 1C fresh veggies twice daily, he's on timothy hay with a little alflafa because we aren't sure of his age - he seems to eat well, drink well, a little underweight but he's fattened up a little since coming to her. He's got an entire empty bedroom to himself with a dog crate for a litter box. He like to run and jump and play and hide in boxes and he uses his litter box really well, they gave him a tower to hop up on so he can look out the window even. He's very people friendly and indifferent to her dogs and cats. BUT he is pulling clumps of his fur out from all over his body! She wants me to take him because she just doesn't feel like she's doing everything she can. They love him to death and I think it's just a good a home as mine would be. Is there anything I can suggest to her to help him with his problem? I don't think taking him in would do any good because I don't know what to do either.

We are sure he is a HE, I'm pretty confident in my sexing
So he's not pregnant. He's pulling out fur all over his body, not just his belly

Has he been to the vet and checked for mites or other skin conditions?

If he is indeed a male, it should be very apparent as there will be testicles on each side of his genitals.

Has he been to the vet and checked for mites or other skin conditions?

If he is indeed a male, it should be very apparent as there will be testicles on each side of his genitals.

There looked like a little bald spot on either side but not massive like my unfixed boy so we suspect he is either young or neutered.

He has not been to a vet, I tried to convince her to do it but she just doesn't have the funds. Her vet that does discounted rates for the rescue doesn't do rabbits.

Back