Help With Litter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternationalBunnies

Reaction score
You'll hear a lot of "absolutely no softwoods (pine and ceder) for rabbits", because of the harmful aromatic chemicals in the wood. This is a generalization, because there are ways to remove those aromatic chemicals. I use kiln-fired pine shavings, the heat treatment removing them. I believe that forming the wood into pellets also makes them safe. They're not the cheapest option, though, because you're paying extra for the pelleting process. I can get a gigantic bag of the shavings, which lasts me probably 4-6 months, for $7 at a farm feed mill (or a similar size for $24 at a pet store, because the pet industry is shamelessly overpriced).

If you want to be absolutely safe, hardwood litters (typically aspen) are always safe, as are nearly all things based on paper (Yesterday's News). Clay-based cat litter is never safe, clumping cat litter most of all. Carefresh products are considered the best for rabbits, but they're horrifically expensive.

We can find 40lb bags of wood pellets at the local tractor supply for 5-6 bucks. The ones at tractor supply are for horse stalls but it's the same thing. Maybe see if any places to buy livestock equipment have pellets (that's if the pellets pictured are a little expensive). Those look fine though from what I can see

Last edited:
Back