Help with Kitten Please - Dandruff and fear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hi

I have a question. My kitten has severe dandruff. I just noticed this morning. She was absolutely fine last week. She is on Nutrience kitten food but I will switch her to Science Diet. I didn't think this food could cause such a problem. However, I got her some Luv treats and was wondering if those could cause the dandruff? Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I feel terrible. When I brush the kitten she absolutely freaks. She is terrorized and makes me feel awful. I have tried consoling her and showing that the brush won't hurt her but she grips at my neck and burries herself in me. I thought the brush might have been hurting her though I was super gentle (since I know a bad experience will cause problems in the future) but she freaks out even with the rubber brush :?She's not just scared... She is traumatized. She shakes like crazy and last time she even pooped :(She also freaked at the vet's for her shot. They had to be 3 people to hold her down. :(

How can I change that? I feel so bad :?She is so sensitive. She's like a baby, so innocent and it breaks my heart to see her so scared. :(

Can cats get mites? I don't know anything about cats, but dandruff in rabbits means mites. Maybe that is why she doesn't like to be groomed?

If it were mites I imagine she would scratch? She hasn't been at all. And if it were mites, since she has been playing with Ashton, he'd show signs as well right?

She hasn't been outside at all and it's so cold. :?Can the cold weather cause dry skin? I noticed that her fur did have a greasy look to it last week... Does that mean anything?

I know that cat fleas are not fans of rabbits, would mites be the same for each type of animal? I don't even know, lol.

Our cat gets the greasy look when he moults. and actually, Badger (a rabbit)gets dry skin when he moults.

Ok, I'll stop talking now because I have no idea what I'm waffling about. Do cat forums exist? Maybe they might give you an answer quicker than you might get on here?

Edit,I didn't mean that to sound rude and like I was trying to get rid of you or anything.

My cat sometimes gets dandruff.

As long as you know for sure it isn't something else (vet trip may be in order) you can mix a little olive oil in with her food, and it will moisturize her skin.

:)

Lol it's ok :)This is my first real cat experience. I do remember that we would tell clients to switch the food if it were a bad quality. I also remember that if the food was a recommended brand we would suggest a lamb-based food instead of a chicken-based one as it had more fats and kept the skin from being so dry. I think tuna was supposed to help too.

I just don't know what exactly is causing it at this point. The weather kinda changed abruptly... What if it's weather related? The other food is really expensive :?Lol.

Well I checked and there is no redness, no sores, and she doesn't scratch so I guess it's just plain dandruff.

Olive oil huh? I wasn't sure if the oils were good. Okies thank you :)

Kitty Eve had dandruff pretty bad as a kitten too. The problem was cruddy food. She needs the good stuff. Cruddy food being Science Diet and Eukanuba. Good food being more real meat, no meat by-products, etc. She did the best on Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, which is a fancy holistic food but for the same price as Iams and similar foods. Unfortunately my other kitten Lily has a sensitive stomach and couldn't handle that food. Eve also does well on Lily's necessary foods- California Natural (Chicken and Rice) and Nutro Naturals Chicken.

I have no idea what available by you, although Nutro is pretty much everywhere. I really prefer foods like California Natural, Chicken Soup, Innova, and Felidae which have better quality ingredients and no wierd chemical additives from China, the land of recalled junk.

Edit: treat the brush as a toy. Leave it on the floor and let her check it out. Try to get her to play with it while you hold it. Then pet her and occasionally give a soft wipe with the brush. Use treats as a bribe, too.

I don't think we have those here :?

These are the brands I know:

Iams, Whiskas, Nutrience, Naturmix, Eukanuba, Science Diete

And maybe some other not so great foods.

I will look into the others though, just in case..

I hate to ask, but has anyone ever done a homemade diet? Not necessarily meaning the raw diet... But like things that you can make yourself?

I've never done a homemade diet, but there are some different recipes available. You have to do some research though.

This is a great forum for cat info, and some of the people there know a lot about home made cat food. They might also have some suggestions about better brands of cat food available in Canada.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/

Check pet stores and see what you can find. I have better luck with smaller chains or mom and pop stores than with major chains as far as quality cat food goes. Although sometimes you can find some good stuff at the major chains too.

Or order online. Here's one for Canada that has some great cat foods available. If you comparison shop, sometimes you can buy food cheaper online even when you count the shipping costs.
http://www.petacular.com/

We feed our cats Wellness. We used to give them nutro until the pet food scare. We did some research and found that Wellness was our best bet. They love it and all have healthy coats. Regular grooming also helps but you probably already know that. I have little to offer on how to calm her down. Does she hide or not like to sit with you? If that's the case, I have some advice but I don't want to assume anything. This is the website for Wellness:

http://www.omhpet.com/

No.. She clings to me :?She's traumatized and wraps her arms around my neck and buries her head into my neck and trembles. It's pretty heartbreaking to watch seriously :?She doesn't run from me, she runs to me. It's a bit strange that way. I thought I was hurting her but I wasn't. I feel so bad. But she needs to get used to it :?

I'm going to look into the various food options... I am going to the exposition tomorrow so maybe I can find good stuff there :biggrin2:

I remember you announced her arrival but I don't remember where she came from. Was she from a shelter? It sounds like wherever she came from, it was a rough start. If she was with me, I would keep her close, maybe in a baby bjorn type thing, whenever I was home. She needs to feel safe as much as possible.

Well... I got her from the pet shop but they are good. I met the lady who brought her in and she is an obvious cat lover. I don't understand where the fear is coming from. :?

She does play a lot and loves Ashton like crazy. It's just when it comes time to groom her or clip her nails though other than being scared she doesn't fight or anything. But she cowers and trembles and makes me sad :(

She is really sensitive though. Like if I get mad she will get all sad and curl up in a ball :?She sleeps with me every night and she is having a heck of a time adapting to me working. She even cries if I go to the bathroom. She follows me everywhere.:?

Maybe she was taken from her mother too early? I dunno. I think she was bottle fed but I cannot remember exactly for how long...

Latest posts

Back