Help with cleaning a dirty bottom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello!

Sorry second post in two days from me! I just wondered if anyone could help with advice on cleaning a dirty bottom, mostly urine and a bit of dried poo. We had a go today using the method the vet suggested which was to soak cotton wool and wipe him down but honestly felt like we weren’t getting anywhere it just seemed to make him wet rather than remove much of the dirt. We were very worried about being too rough given how sensitive bunny skin is. Would multiple attempts across several days help break it down or are we doing something wrong!

It was his first ever bum wash and he behaved so well just wish we could have done a better job for him. I feel a bit defeated :(

Thanks all

If it's really dirty, a butt bath is what I would do. Though it needs to be done carefully to make sure the risk of stress and injury are minimized, and the fur thoroughly dried after. If in doubt whether a butt bath is safe or what the proper procedure is, it's best to consult with your vet, or a knowledgeable rabbit vet if your vet isn't one.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/bathing-bunnies/
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/baths--cleaning.html
Dirty wet or damp fur, will put a rabbit at risk of flystrike, so it's important for a rabbit to be clean and dry. Is a dirty and/or wet bum, a reoccurring problem with this rabbit? And if so, has your vet discovered the cause?

Thanks Jbun those pages were very helpful. It’s his first time with a dirty bum, our vet checked him on Friday and said it looked like a grooming issue causing him a problem so she checked his teeth and said he had minor spurs but didn’t think they would be enough to stop him grooming. She adviced to clean him up using cotton wool and water and if he becomes dirty again we have to take him back where they will do his teeth and take an x-ray as he also has a history of bladder stones. We were also told to swap newspaper which he has been using as a toilet for something more absorbent as he is likely sitting in the urine.

We have two rabbits that tended to get dirty bums. I suspected soft cecotropes and read everything I could about them. The best advice for us was to switch from alfalfa-based pellets to timothy pellets. That did the trick.

Those two still tend to get a bit dirty; so, every time I brush them I use a sharp barber scissors to trim their bums. Be careful! It is very easy to nick the skin! Ordinary scissors will work; but, sharp barber scissors work far better.

After the trim I'll hold a warm wet washcloth on their butt for a couple of minutes to soften what remains. Then, I gently brush their behinds.

We have never since had any problems. A little prevention goes a long way.

Back