Help with catching runaway rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness your kindness makes me cry…you kissed his face??? You are so kind and gentle! The best thing for this bun is to ge caught by you and taken home. He will never find a better home or better caregiver!
I am praying very soon you can hold him in your arms and take him to his new home where he will be loved and protected! You are the best thing that has ever happened to this bunny! Again I thank you for your care and concern and amazing patience and determination!!👍👍💕🫶🫶🐇🐇
Thank you :). I am highly sensitive person so I suppose empathy comes with all the disadvantages :) . I thought he should get used to human touch as it's been a while, and while my hands could mean danger, since I was laying on my arms, thought my face could be used to touch him as he was close enough. I want him to feel safe and trust me, so I need to feel safe and trust myself.
I am not sure how would Vito like another bunny plus my room is like 12 m2 and am worried there wouldn't be enough space for their bonding. We got no other bunny prooved room in the home. I am not planning of keeping him but definetely to stay in touch with who does.
Also, thanks to this I met few other amazing caregivers and am thinking of making at least a group or association of people who care of bunnies as pets in my city so we have easier time reaching out and working on education. But so far it's just idea from yesterday.
I am hoping he will agree to get into transporter and we will take him in it to the vet and further, I hate holding bunnies since it's stress for them and only times I did it is if their nails need to be clipped or they were ill. I really can't wait for him to get the home he deserves to, though, and be loved and cared the way he deserves.

Any time, I just think if it was Vito I hope somebody else did it like I did. Also, back when Tina was alive we went to family vacation and left her to my grandma to take care of. Horrible mistake. When we returned Tina had fleas. I got a gut feeling somebody might have left this one to the person who had no idea how to take care well enough and (since this one is young and lively just as Vito was) he ran away. It's just theory so far... Anyway step by step, catch, vet, temporary stay and then see in few more places if he ran away from them. If we can't find the person then we got somebody who is looking for partner to her rabbit so this one could get into bonding process with that one :) .

Thank you :). I am highly sensitive person so I suppose empathy comes with all the disadvantages :) . I thought he should get used to human touch as it's been a while, and while my hands could mean danger, since I was laying on my arms, thought my face could be used to touch him as he was close enough. I want him to feel safe and trust me, so I need to feel safe and trust myself.
I am not sure how would Vito like another bunny plus my room is like 12 m2 and am worried there wouldn't be enough space for their bonding. We got no other bunny prooved room in the home. I am not planning of keeping him but definetely to stay in touch with who does.
Also, thanks to this I met few other amazing caregivers and am thinking of making at least a group or association of people who care of bunnies as pets in my city so we have easier time reaching out and working on education. But so far it's just idea from yesterday.
I am hoping he will agree to get into transporter and we will take him in it to the vet and further, I hate holding bunnies since it's stress for them and only times I did it is if their nails need to be clipped or they were ill. I really can't wait for him to get the home he deserves to, though, and be loved and cared the way he deserves.

Any time, I just think if it was Vito I hope somebody else did it like I did. Also, back when Tina was alive we went to family vacation and left her to my grandma to take care of. Horrible mistake. When we returned Tina had fleas. I got a gut feeling somebody might have left this one to the person who had no idea how to take care well enough and (since this one is young and lively just as Vito was) he ran away. It's just theory so far... Anyway step by step, catch, vet, temporary stay and then see in few more places if he ran away from them. If we can't find the person then we got somebody who is looking for partner to her rabbit so this one could get into bonding process with that one :) .
Thanks for the update and further details
Hoping she’s “caught” soon and finds an amazing home 🏡 a forever family 🐇🐇🫶🫶

Thanks for the update and further details
Hoping she’s “caught” soon and finds an amazing home 🏡 a forever family 🐇🐇🫶🫶
Hehe you would guess it's she? :D I got no idea actually, was asked but have no clue so far as I didn't see bunnies personal area... In Serbian nouns have genders and both kunić for rabbit and zeko for bunny are male nouns so I keep refering as him. Anyway, he/she is one really capable kiddo (seems either as true dwarf or as not fully grown yet). Will go later as the day get colder to see what can do... I didn't notice signs in transporter so far except bit bit banana but will see how it goes.

Hehe you would guess it's she? :D I got no idea actually, was asked but have no clue so far as I didn't see bunnies personal area... In Serbian nouns have genders and both kunić for rabbit and zeko for bunny are male nouns so I keep refering as him. Anyway, he/she is one really capable kiddo (seems either as true dwarf or as not fully grown yet). Will go later as the day get colder to see what can do... I didn't notice signs in transporter so far except bit bit banana but will see how it goes.
Good luck!!👍👍🙏🐇🐇

Keep going, you're doing a fabulous job for this bunny! He's lucky you found him! 😍
Had an issue tonight. Met forth guard and he was like they were told by their employers we shall not go in that backyard any more. After a lot of talking he said he will let me go in take my transporter just so once I convinced him we got person willing to adapt him he said he will let me go in the future again. I can see now that there is sense of urgency, not only because of heat waves, but also because if they are getting into trouble we might lose a chance to catch him.

So, is there any herb or medication or anything I could give him to calm him down (he ate from my hand so it won't be much of an issue)? I can't risk trying to catch him just to drop him or him scratch me too badly. I had tried catching my own bunnies before so I know what it's like. Mom suggested calling ZOO. I am not sure if they would let us keep him though. I am struggling to see how to quicken this up, but I really don't want to put him into sleep by accident or get heart attack from stress.

Turns out somebody really dropped him and he's been there for 2 months, that is why guards seem to be sure he is very safe where he is and will be fine. Please... anything I can do on my own without ruining all odds or getting him hurt is welcome.

I caught my rabbit using a trap. I just put food inside and waited for him to go inside, then the door springs shut. You don’t necessarily have to buy a trap, if you have a local animal control or cat rescue organization nearby, they may have a trap that you can borrow. Good luck!

Attachments

• 2442A063-2FB0-4848-9026-35A14728EFC0.png
    2442A063-2FB0-4848-9026-35A14728EFC0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I caught my rabbit using a trap. I just put food inside and waited for him to go inside, then the door springs shut. You don’t necessarily have to buy a trap, if you have a local animal control or cat rescue organization nearby, they may have a trap that you can borrow. Good luck!
Is it safe? I know who has such a trap, but is it safe? That is my only concern because we are not able to keep an eye on the trap non stop, could he survive in it for an hour or two? I see it is the best shot, but I seriously don't want him to get hurt.
They use it to catch cats, but with kittens it's also not reccomended as woman said because they are too light. This bunny is still young... What if it activates too late or not at all?

Ok well we bought a trap, tunnel like that can't harm him and left it there with bananas along the way. I tried to catch him but he slipped through my hands before they touched his body. Days are getting shorter and temperatures are staying pretty high. They are forecasting thunderstorms so more dogs might run away from homes again. Mosquitos are insanse, I am itching at 4 places and saw them going around him.

I don't know what to do. Please, if there is any magical calming medication I can put onto the food he eats of my hand, that won't kill him of course, please tell me. I see no way out of this and it is approaching the point where the whole point of my day is to try and just fail. I look into his eyes and want to save him but he just doesn't trust my touch.

Is the cat trap the only remaining choice? I would much more gladly carry him drowsy in transporter than risk him getting harmed by cat trap but if that is all that is left, we need to borrow it... I don't know what to do anymore :(

You're doing a great job, trying so much for that one rabbit. Don't lose hope just yet.
I would try, even if it is hard, to get the rabbit while he's eating from your hand. A very quick and fast move, if you can. In theory, if you put your hand on his shoulders and press down, the rabbit won't get hurt and it should not be too easy for him to escape that way. It would give you just the moment to get a good hold of him and move him into a carrier, a box, anything more permanent than hand-holding.
Or, if you can get him to come near you, maybe you can get someone else to guide his movements with a blanket or something? To block off or narrow the directions he can move into. Then it would be possible to guide him into the carrier?

Is it safe? I know who has such a trap, but is it safe? That is my only concern because we are not able to keep an eye on the trap non stop, could he survive in it for an hour or two? I see it is the best shot, but I seriously don't want him to get hurt.
They use it to catch cats, but with kittens it's also not reccomended as woman said because they are too light. This bunny is still young... What if it activates too late or not at all?
I’m not an expert on these traps, but I would guess that they are pretty safe. When the rabbit goes for the food he steps on a plate that triggers the door closed, on the other side of the cage. So I wasn’t worried that the rabbit would be injured.

However I was a little concerned that the rabbit would be stressed out if he spent too much time in the trap cage. So I repeatedly went outside to check it, on the night I set it up in my front yard. Finally at 4am he was caught in the trap, and I brought him inside the house. That marked the beginning of our great friendship! We’ve been buddies for about 5 years now.

Good luck to you, whatever you do!

I’m not an expert on these traps, but I would guess that they are pretty safe. When the rabbit goes for the food he steps on a plate that triggers the door closed, on the other side of the cage. So I wasn’t worried that the rabbit would be injured.

However I was a little concerned that the rabbit would be stressed out if he spent too much time in the trap cage. So I repeatedly went outside to check it, on the night I set it up in my front yard. Finally at 4am he was caught in the trap, and I brought him inside the house. That marked the beginning of our great friendship! We’ve been buddies for about 5 years now.

Good luck to you, whatever you do!
Thank you, I will ask our local organization if they can borrow us that too. We bought safe trap but I got a feeling he is too smart for it. We also struggle keeping the constant check on it so from that point also kinda worried with traps. Well... Still thank you, got a lot of thinking to do but it might be really the fastest way (though he is not that hungry so still unsure if it will work)

You're doing a great job, trying so much for that one rabbit. Don't lose hope just yet.
I would try, even if it is hard, to get the rabbit while he's eating from your hand. A very quick and fast move, if you can. In theory, if you put your hand on his shoulders and press down, the rabbit won't get hurt and it should not be too easy for him to escape that way. It would give you just the moment to get a good hold of him and move him into a carrier, a box, anything more permanent than hand-holding.
Or, if you can get him to come near you, maybe you can get someone else to guide his movements with a blanket or something? To block off or narrow the directions he can move into. Then it would be possible to guide him into the carrier?
I'm really thining of trying this tonight if trap we have set doesn't work. Need to check if anybody else can come at that time too though.

We caught him. 1689265810480.png
I listened to your advice. I went earlier and he was still hiding under broken Skoda Fabia. I lured him out with banana, tried to catch once but he escaped and went back under the car. Second time I managed to catch him and knew I will not let him go. I walked for who knows how long and jumped a bit to prevent him from trying to run away and then walked towards the guard who saw it on camera and came asked if I need help and then ran to bring me transporter. We packed him into it and then well I called people, waited for them, called uncle he was on his way to go home from work so we went to vet together. Well he doesn't have fleas, I left him in transporter in our living room, need to look after him for 7 to 10 days in order to see if he is sick of anything. Will need help with choosing the cage and further tips, since he needs to maintain his original diet, but for tonight he is safe to adjust in it :)
Thank you all so much for help.

We caught him. View attachment 64976

I listened to your advice. I went earlier and he was still hiding under broken Skoda Fabia. I lured him out with banana, tried to catch once but he escaped and went back under the car. Second time I managed to catch him and knew I will not let him go. I walked for who knows how long and jumped a bit to prevent him from trying to run away and then walked towards the guard who saw it on camera and came asked if I need help and then ran to bring me transporter. We packed him into it and then well I called people, waited for them, called uncle he was on his way to go home from work so we went to vet together. Well he doesn't have fleas, I left him in transporter in our living room, need to look after him for 7 to 10 days in order to see if he is sick of anything. Will need help with choosing the cage and further tips, since he needs to maintain his original diet, but for tonight he is safe to adjust in it :)
Thank you all so much for help.
Well we celebrate with you! You deserve a medal for your persistent attitude in helping this bun! Kudos to you! I’m sure she is going to make someone a great pet and she’s a blessed bunny for all you have endured in trying to capture her! I commend you and your diligence to save a precious bunny. She looks very healthy and so cute 🥰
I thank you for her!!!👍👍🫶🫶🤗🤗
I’m just kind of wondering what you are going to do with yourself now that you have caught the bun? You are going to be so bored 🥱 Big hugs to you both 🤗🤗👍🐇🐇

Well we celebrate with you! You deserve a medal for your persistent attitude in helping this bun! Kudos to you! I’m sure she is going to make someone a great pet and she’s a blessed bunny for all you have endured in trying to capture her! I commend you and your diligence to save a precious bunny. She looks very healthy and so cute 🥰
I thank you for her!!!👍👍🫶🫶🤗🤗
I’m just kind of wondering what you are going to do with yourself now that you have caught the bun? You are going to be so bored 🥱 Big hugs to you both 🤗🤗👍🐇🐇
Hey thank you :) Nah, I got a lot of projects on hold. Now that I have somewhat calmed down, I got few more questions:
vet said we should not change his died much, so he should eat a lot of greens despite being so young. Is there specific greens to avoid at this age? We collected what we have in garden so far.
We need to keep him seperated for 7-10 days in order to make sure he doesn't have myxamatosis. He doesn't have any symptoms yet, but is there a test for it that might be available? Do you have general idea if such thing exists? I don't want 10 tense days and I would love to know before I buy the cage and full equipment.
The rest is so far okay, maybe tips for bonding on already other bunny's territory would be useful once those 10 days pass, if he is ok. It is only bunny proofed room in the house and if the woman who wanted to adapt him is not ready for it, I need to make him space in mine with Vito :)

If you have access to good quality fresh grass, that would be the best thing. A medium soft longer growth with seed heads beginning to bloom, is better than young soft growth (can be too rich) or mature hard stems (deficient in nutrients). Good quality green grass hay (no mold) will work too if he'll eat it, though you'll need to make sure he is OK drinking water when feeding dry food like hay. Fresh rabbit safe plants that he might have had access to outside, would also be good. I wouldn't introduce store bought greens and veggies that he wouldn't have already been eating outdoors, as his digestive system won't be used to those. He could eat new veggies eventually, but it's best to not make sudden diet changes with rabbits, with the exception of good grass hay, which is usually well tolerated.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp
Having a blood test done can give an indication of a potential health problem if your vet is experienced with rabbits, but not myxomatosis specifically.

If you have access to good quality fresh grass, that would be the best thing. A medium soft longer growth with seed heads beginning to bloom, is better than young soft growth (can be too rich) or mature hard stems (deficient in nutrients). Good quality green grass hay (no mold) will work too if he'll eat it, though you'll need to make sure he is OK drinking water when feeding dry food like hay. Fresh rabbit safe plants that he might have had access to outside, would also be good. I wouldn't introduce store bought greens and veggies that he wouldn't have already been eating outdoors, as his digestive system won't be used to those. He could eat new veggies eventually, but it's best to not make sudden diet changes with rabbits, with the exception of good grass hay, which is usually well tolerated.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp
Having a blood test done can give an indication of a potential health problem if your vet is experienced with rabbits, but not myxomatosis specifically.
Thank you. He has been eating hay I buy for Vito since we put him into transporter so he seems okay with it. I want to gradually get him used to hay, as fresh grass is really hard to find in urban areas (especially not polluted one). I will read the article you posted to see if any of it we have here. So far dandellion leaves and mint plant is what I gave him as I know those are safe.

Thank you, I suppose we will just have to wait to see if he is ok or not. Odd thinking he didn't get ill until I started trying to catch and he could have gotten since I did. Hope its not the case. Well need larger enclosure anyway since I can't keep track of his poop in transporter.

Hey thank you :) Nah, I got a lot of projects on hold. Now that I have somewhat calmed down, I got few more questions:
vet said we should not change his died much, so he should eat a lot of greens despite being so young. Is there specific greens to avoid at this age? We collected what we have in garden so far.
We need to keep him seperated for 7-10 days in order to make sure he doesn't have myxamatosis. He doesn't have any symptoms yet, but is there a test for it that might be available? Do you have general idea if such thing exists? I don't want 10 tense days and I would love to know before I buy the cage and full equipment.
The rest is so far okay, maybe tips for bonding on already other bunny's territory would be useful once those 10 days pass, if he is ok. It is only bunny proofed room in the house and if the woman who wanted to adapt him is not ready for it, I need to make him space in mine with Vito :)
I’m here cheering you on.!💕👍💕👍
I’m going to let the experts take over and help you along with your other questions! They are amazing and very well qualified to help you!🤔🤔🙃💕💕💕🐇🐇👍❤️

I’m here cheering you on.!💕👍💕👍
I’m going to let the experts take over and help you along with your other questions! They are amazing and very well qualified to help you!🤔🤔🙃💕💕💕🐇🐇👍❤️
Thank you :) Well he has gotten used to the transporter, I am trying to plan out delivery for cage somebody said will borrow, and he is both drinking water, eating hay, some fresh leaves and his poop so it seems okay so far. I can sense Vito being a bit jealous though, but hope he knows he is my favorite nonetheless :) I plan on, if he is alright by day 10, to take him to another vet that will do more theral exam and blood tests to be sure he is alright before either taking him to the person that is willing to adopt him or putting him into room with Vito. Only thing I am sure he is not ever again ending up outside. So yea, so far Bear Grills/ Srećko mom gave him the second name, but we don't know the sex yet, is as good as he could be. Hoping for the best.

Couldn't do all this without your and help of others so thank you so much :)

Back