Help With 4-H

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BratBunny

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in 4-H as most of you know, and I need some help. In my rabbit book, it says to interveiw as many people as I can that have careers that involve any kind of animal or animal help.So if anyone could help, it would be GREAT! :happybunny:

These are the questions that need to be answered:

1. What is your career or job?

2. Why did you choose your present career or job?

3. What do you like best sbout your career or job?

4. What do you like the least?

5. How did you get the training needed for your career or job?

6. How is your career or job changing?

Again, I would very much apreciate some help.

:bump

BratBunny wrote:
Okay, so I'm in 4-H as most of you know, and I need some help. In my rabbit book, it says to interveiw as many people as I can that have careers that involve any kind of animal or animal help.So if anyone could help, it would be GREAT! :happybunny:

1. What is your career or job? ARBA Judge

2. Why did you choose your present career or job? Enjoyed raising rabbits.

3. What do you like best sbout your career or job? Meeting people and getting to handle great rabbits.

4. What do you like the least? Long driving trips.

5. How did you get the training needed for your career or job? Practical experience raising rabbits and working with judges.

6. How is your career or job changing?Gas prices are having an effect and I ambidding on less shows.

I wish I could help, Lexi, but I dont work with animals as my job (although it sure feels like it :)).

Im trying to think who else besides Pam would work- try PMing Leaf bc she probably wont see this. Also, bluegiants and Tinysmom could probably comment as breeders. Trailsend runs her own little rescue so you might try her as well.

Good luck!

Haley

1. What is your career or job? vet tech

2. Why did you choose your present career or job?I have always wanted a job helping animals

3. What do you like best sbout your career or job? seeing sick/injured animals recover

4. What do you like the least? dealing with people who don't take care of their pets

5. How did you get the training needed for your career or job? I started as a kennel assistant and trained while I worked

6. How is your career or job changing? new advancements are constantly being made

BratBunny wrote:
I am a foster partent to rabbits who need more one on one attention.
I think it chose me. I was given a flemish giant who had major agression issues and I started working with her so she could trust me. I than had some of my buns become ill. One in particular became so ill we were fighting to keep him alive. So when they continued to tell me that I could do alot of good fostering bunnies like my guys how could I say no?
How I help some of the rabbits come out of their shell, and watch them bloom. They go on to have very happy homes and families.
Receantly had to put one of my former fosters down. He recieved some horrible care in his first home and by the time he came to us it was to late. It was heart breaking because he was coming around, and had become part of a family. Even if it was brief.
I got it from my mom. Growing up she was always helping animals. She taight me to love them and care for every single one even if you scared if them. My mother is petrified of cats yet she feeds the strays and calls when ever she sees babies so that they may have a chance at surviving and finding a home.
I am getting harder and harder cases. At first my charges were just neglected attention and love. Now I am seeing them come to me in very bad shape, physical and mental.
Hope that helps.

I'm an animal control officer.

I love animals and want to make a difference in their individual lives.

When I go to physically remove animals from bad situations there is a sense of relief in the sadness - at least the animals' situation will be resolved.

Working one-on-one with animals that need extra care there is a sense of accomplishment in affecting that animal.

Placing animals in adoptive homes that are truely the best match.

Seeing the suffering some animals go through, and knowing not all of the animals I work with will be adopted.

I started as a volunteer working with a humane society and later started fostering for different rescues. Later, when I became an ACO there was more in depth training that the state facilitates, usually in Columbia, Mo.

We have specific guidelines to follow as far as Animal Control goes, but new situations always arise, new by-laws and laws are introduced in areas, and as new strains of diseases arise there is always further education in the control of cross-contamination.

Thanks everyone! This really helped. It's my first year in 4-H with rabbits so, I might be needing more help soon! ;)

Leaf wrote:

I'm an animal control officer.

I've thought about doing that when I'm older (of course), but there aren't any places such as that aroung here. In a way it makes me sad. I just wouldn't want to leave Indiana. :(

That could change, Lexi.

We have animal control under a division in the Sheriff's office. Indianapolis has something but I think it's similar.

Our Humane Societie's work directly with them.

I wasn't going to do this because I don't officially have a "job" working with animals. However, I'm going to go ahead and share my answers with you just in case you can use a breeder.....

BratBunny wrote:

It is actually more of a hobby because I don't really "make money" at it - but I was a lionhead breeder for almost three years and have only recently "quit" breeding.

When I got my rabbits, they really helped me through my depression. I was so fascinated about how these bunnies could add so much joy to my life that I wanted others to have as much joy. Nobody in our area raised exotic rabbits (vs. meat pen rabbits). I had experience with Netherland Dwarfs, Holland Lop and Lionheads and I liked the lionhead breed the best. Also, lionheads were less likely to have "stuck kits" at birth when compared to the other two breeds and I was really scared about issues like that which could come up.

I love playing with the babies and socializing them. I also love just playing with some of my rabbits and calling it "work" because I am socializing them or grooming them for a show. I am not big on showing my rabbits because I prefer to keep them at home where they aren't exposed to any potential illnesses from additional rabbits. However, in order to sell rabbits in this area you sort of have to show them and gain a reputation.

I hate the 31 day wait to see if a doe I've bred will have kits and be ok. I keep thinking to myself, "will she be ok? Should I have bred her? Will she be a good mom?".

I also hate it when I lose a litter of kits for no good reason (like the mom was a bad mom or we had some genetic defects show up and I had to put them down).

Of course, I hate it anytime I lose a rabbit to anything.

I hooked up with other more experienced breeders who became my mentors. I also did a lot of reading about the genetics of colors, etc. from a couple of books and on some websites. I talked to other breeders a lot to learn what qualities lionheads should have to be considered showable.

I've left the field of breeding for now because I can't "play God" with my rabbits anymore. But I've found that more information is becoming available on the internet to help with rabbit illnesses (and the rabbitsonline.net forum has great information).

That is probably about all I can think of.

I'm a dog groomer :)

I didn't really "choose" it. I kind of fell into it. I was in college for vet medicine when I obviously needed a job to try and pay for my tuition. I found a job at Petsmart as a dog bather and they "trained" me (horribly but it was a start) and ended up staying with it for the past few years.

I work more with the dogs then the people :p

It is VERY physical labor. I'm only 5' and 85 lbs and I'm dealing with dogs that can be much larger than me and very stubborn. I also often get bit, scratched, and jerked around so there's a lot of pain involved.

Petsmart started my training and then I retaught myself through books and advice from other, better, groomers.

There's constantly new breeds and new cuts coming around so I have attended seminars and I have to learn new breed cuts and listen to new ideas customers come up with for cuts on their mutts.

Hope that helps!

I WOULD LOVE TO WORK WITH ANIMALS....
I think I'm too young at th mo though.
:grumpy:

Latest posts

Back