HELP! What if Puff won't eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Reaction score
Ok so we just adopted a rabbit from the humanesociety and he was neutered recently (within the last 2 days) thereceptionistsaid that heHAS to eat, it's a definitemust, but he isn't interested in anything we've given him so far. Sowhat do we do if he doesn't eat? Should we try and syringe feed him? ifso, what mixture should we blend up?

Main question -- is he pooping? If so, what do they look like?

And, is he drinking?

When did he last eat? What were they feeding them at the shelter?

He definitely has to eat, yes, but he can't have an abrupt change fromhis previous diet. And right now, if it'sdifferent, he may not recognize his new diet as food.

Your best bets at the moment are to get some Nutri-Cal (it's made forcats and dogs but works great for rabbits) and squeeze a 1/2 inchribbon ontohis foot, mush it down and let him lick it off. And some Pedialyte from the drugstore (baby electrolytereplacement fluid) may help. If you can get him to taste itfrom a dropper or syringe, he should take it willingly.

You can also try Critical Care, which is something the shelter or thevet should have -- it's a powdered pellet and nutrient mix.

Or,soak his pellets in water for 10 or 15 minutes to make upa slurry mix and try syringe-feeing him that. If he doesn'ttake it willingly, try spiking it with just a bit of carrot juice orbanana.

Another thing to try is canned pumpkin.

Let us know how he's doing! If he's not pooping or drinking, he has a serious problem and has to get to the vet.

sas et al

I saw him drinking and there's poop in the cage.So far I've given him hay, a small piece of apple,pellets,grass and a leaf of romane lettuce. At the shelter he had pretty muchthe same thing. He's actually started eating a bit. He had a bite ofthe apple, some hay and some grass. He just got home about an hour ago,so I'm assuming he'll also need some time to settle in. He's also got alittle female next to him so he's pretty interested in her at themoment too. Also another question. Is there anything I can put on hisstitches so he won't lick them? or should Ijust get anelizabeth collar from the vet?

Heh! I thought you meant he hadn't eatenfor two days since the neuter.

He'll be fine. Mineonly actually really eat acouple of times a day (except for the constant munching on hay), and anew arrival with either be too stressed or too interested in his newsurroundings to care much about food. He soundslike the latter. :)

And unlikely he'll pull out his stitches. Just keep an eye onthem. Neuters for boys are usually pretty easy and don'tbother them much.

Congrats on the new bunny!! :bunny18 So sweet of you to take him in!! :hug:

sas et al

A question about the stictches. There's somepuss coming out of the stitched area, but it's not red or swollen. Doesthis just mean it's drying up and healing? They're the stitches thatdissolve.

There shouldn't be puss. I've hadthree girls spayed with dissolving stitches and I've never seenthat. When Fey had to be stitched up after a fight withMocha, she did have a tiny bit of thin pale-yellow drainage from thestitched area. My vet looked at it and said it was okay andjust part of the healing process, especially since the stitching wasn'tperfect because of the way the skin had been torn. But aneuter done with a clean sharp scalpel shouldn't have that.And is it thick like toothpaste, like most rabbit pus?

I think you take him in to a vet.

Is he eating okay now?

Yeah he's eating fine now. And it's not likethick it's just dort of a light yellow, sorta thick. And it's kind ofcoated around it a bit. Gah.. hard to explain. if only I could getpictures.

Back