Help! Urinary Problem!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Girl

Reaction score
Washington, DC, District Of Columbia, USA
My 4 year old angora bunny, Fabrizio, was originally from upper Maryland. I rescued him one day before he was to be sold in a meat market.

Since May or June, I noticed that he stinks like pee and his rear is a bit dirtier than before.

Since last week, he wets himself so bad (brown/orangish pee stain) all around his rear legs and butt.

I took him to a vet, who I don't think is too experienced, said that tit must bu due to the cage and bedding. I told him that his cagemate is just fine and doesn't wet himself.

I said that I thought that he might be suffering Urinary Tract Infection. The vet gave me a bottle of antibiotics and ointment for his legs and butt that have bad pee rashes.

For a couple of days, he has been improving, I think. But,this morning, hewas wet again, even though it was not as bad as before our vet visit.

I touched the bottom of the cage where he was lying, and it was kind of wet. I might have to take him to other expensive vet in Virginia. It's very far and costs five times more!

Before that, please share any thoughts/experiences/advices.

What do you think his problemsa are? Is he just getting old?

Thanks so much.

If the vet is inexperienced....it scares me to think of the meds you were given. What are they? Your description could be several things...all needing to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet. A urinary tract infection is very likely. Other possibilities are some type of calcifications (stones and/or sludge) or possible the inital presentations of EC.

Randy

The first thought would be urinary tract infection. It might help us to know how good the vet you're seeing if you could tell us the antibiotic they put her on. A different antibiotic may be needed to solve the problem.

Latest posts

Back