Help! Trouble peeing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmerfalen

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Bunny Lovers,

Dopey is having trouble peeing right now, he's struggling to go. You can see and hear him struggling... and it's breaking my heart because I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what the problem is or if there is anything I can do immediately to help him? I can take him to the vet in the morning, but that's 9 hours away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

His some facts about Dopey:
- I just noticed around about an hour ago that he was acting differently. He wouldn't go back into his cage and he peed on the couch. He's litter trained and has never peed on the couch before. When we finally got him to the cage, that's when I noticed him struggling to go. He's alert and trying to go, every once in a while he reaches back to lick himself.
- He has not eaten his nightly veggies (kale, carrot, and broccoli totaling less than a cup).
- He's a 5 year old mini lop and weights 3lbs + a few ounces (I don't remember his exact weight).
- He has plenty of access to Timothy Hay and water. He eats about 1/4 cup of pellets every two days.
- He gets exercise everyday.

Please help...thank you!!!

You'll need to see a vet as soon as you can, I think his problem could be related to bladder sludge, I think that causes issues. But definitely need to make a trip to the vet. Surely you have one closer than 9 hours away?

I second him seeing a vet ASAP. Do you still live in San Jose? If so, there are definitely vets near you that can treat rabbits. Here is the Rabbit Savvy Vet listing for CA. You shouldn't have to drive so far to find a vet if you are still in California.

I'm sorry I meant that the morning is 9 hours away. It's about 11pm PST and the vet doesn't open until 8am. I will call and take him first thing in the morning. Dopey has a wonderful vet in San Jose who adores him. I just hate seeing and hearing him struggle so much right now.

That is probably the best thing for him. Did you say that he peed on the couch tonight? If so then he's not completely blocked up, which is good. When you say struggling, what exactly is he doing? Sometimes when litter trained animals (cats, rabbits, etc.) are uncomfortable or having a hard time passing urine they will look for something other than their litter to use. Could you maybe put a towel or an old pillowcase in his cage/pen for him to try?

You can see and hear him pushing. He puffs up a little (which is normal when he goes) and you can hear him make a noise (which is not normal). He's trying to go in various places in his cage from the litter box, to the corner where his hay is, to outside of his litter box and he's changing positions a lot. I'll try putting a towel in the cage, thank you for the suggestion.

Back