Help stop abusive treatment of Rabbits in pet shops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
[font="verdana, sans-serif"]Hi bunny fans![/font][font="verdana, sans-serif"]
[/font][font="verdana, sans-serif"]Hope you all don't mind getting this email, but it's more direct than Facebook.[/font] [font="verdana, sans-serif"] We have a little 'project' for you all to do in your day to day goings on.
Walk into any of your local 'pet stores' that you know sell rabbits, and inquire about purchasing one. Tell them something like,
"I'm not able to have a dog or cat and thought a rabbit would be perfect, but I know absolutely nothing about them. Can you tell me about them or do you have anything I can read?"
What we want to know, and create a database of, is weather any of the stores offer you any 'appropriate' literature or informationon the care and keeping of a rabbit. Please email your findings to [email protected] or [email protected].
[size=If you can, please provide :][/size] - Store Name- Location- Date & Time - A brief summary of your experience, the how the bunnies are housed in the store, and the information you were given on caring for them.... if you were given any at all.
This also applies for all our 'overseas' followers as well. We'd be interested to know what it's like all round the world.
The purpose for this 'project' is to collect factual information on Pet Stores and their knowledge, attitudes and treatment of rabbits. Bryce has several proposals in the wings to change laws and regulations on the buying and selling of pet rabbits, but governments and councils think pet stores aren't doing anything wrong. The information you all collect, will help make Bryce's proposals more 'concrete', and ultimately help get them through government.
Together, we can make a change...Thanks for your time,
Ben

just got the above in an email - thought i should probably share. it's the same people who run the rabbit rescue in melbourne that just got shut down by council!
[/font]

This is good thinking. The only pet store in Shreveport-Bossier that sells rabbits don't like me snooping around. I complain too much about the rabbit housing and their condition. I think it's more the employees than the owners, but that's just my opinion

This is a great idea. I am impressed though that none of the pet shops in my area offer bunnies for sale. They may have other pocket pet type animals, but no rabbits. It honestly makes me happier to shop there.

where i bought butsy, i was holding buns to see wich one i wanted. i picked one up properly, and the lady said that was incorrect and picked the bunn up by the ears, i was totally shocked!

Tiffany- Oh no! Poor baby. I hope you corrected her? I would have had a hard time not demonstrating on her why that is incorrect. How would she like to be picked up by the ears?

That's terrible!
Kinda like how the "reptile expert" from expertvillage says the only way to pick up your pet snapping turtle is by it's tail. Picking up a turtle by it's tail is like picking up a dog by it's tail(and a rabbit by it's ears!). It's painful and can cause permenant neurological injury to the poor turtle. Not to mention make it more mean.

butsy wrote:
where i bought butsy, i was holding buns to see wich one i wanted. i picked one up properly, and the lady said that was incorrect and picked the bunn up by the ears, i was totally shocked!
OMG WTF

Petland is a major seller of rabbits here in Iowa city, Iowa and all of us who are pro animal rights hate a lot of there business. They sell puppy mill puppies and have tons of rabbits. The rabbits are well kept in the store but when people buy them they neglect them like my bunny i had who came to me with a serious case of ring worm. They aren't responsible and a lot of people like me and my friends foster animals and a lot of our foster dogs are pet land puppies who people decided to get rid of. Add pet land to your list of bad stores.

Alek wrote:
Petland is a major seller of rabbits here in Iowa city, Iowa and all of us who are pro animal rights hate a lot of there business. They sell puppy mill puppies and have tons of rabbits. The rabbits are well kept in the store but when people buy them they neglect them like my bunny i had who came to me with a serious case of ring worm. They aren't responsible and a lot of people like me and my friends foster animals and a lot of our foster dogs are pet land puppies who people decided to get rid of. Add pet land to your list of bad stores.

I will back this, as I'm from Iowa City (I'm in Des Moines).

Here in Des Moines we have a terrible pet store called Aqualand. They intentionally and openly breed rabbits, threw two litters (male and female) into a tiny cage together, and told me one of those small wire cages was appropriate for an adult rabbit. It was disgusting. I might go back and see what more I can find out.

However, praise to Petsmart and Petco for doing adoptions through our local no kill shelters. I'm still upset that they SELL small animals (don't forget the rats/hamsters/gerbils and ferrets) but they're making an effort and they're not supporting puppy mills. Always a plus!

Latest posts

Back