Help - stasis??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellalop

Reaction score
I'm currently awaiting my vet calling me back but meantime can anyone help what I should do meantime?? Stella not eating and this is her poop :( she's eaten a tiny bit of lettuce and dandilion root but nothing else this morning. She was sitting funny but is now hopping about - I'm worried about what to do meantime whilst I wait on vet :(
PXL_20220618_101812362.jpg

Is she producing any normal fecal balls? Did she get any new foods, veggies that could have been spoiled, or been in the garden ane possibly eaten something bad, in the last 48 hours? Is she hopping around acting normal now, and has she started eating anything else?

No, she hasn't produced any normal poops in a while. They have been oddly shaped in the past day and a couple had fur in them so I brushed her yesterday and this morning.
She's had fresh veggies but the lettuce leaf I gave her yesterday she's never had before. I thought ok as just red lettuce but maybe it was a different type I didn't realise.

She has just in the last 30 minutes eaten some dandilion leaf and root and pellets and is seeming much better in herself as is hopping about ok.
Previously she was hunched up.
I have an appointment with vet in a couple hours so just keeping an eye on her.

She's just had some more 'normal' poops but they still have a bit of the goopy stuff on them

Maybe one of the veggies was a bit off. It's good she's starting to act more normal and eat something. Maybe whatever she ate that caused the upset, has passed through her digestion. I think about all you can do is monitor her behavior, eating, and poop, and pass any changes or improvement to the vet when you have the appointment. Hopefully by then your bun will be completely back to normal.

I would mostly suggest keeping an eye on the fecal poop. That's good they're semi normal. The goopy stuff will be from irritation to the digestive tract. But if the problem food has passed through, the fecal poop should continue to improve.

But if it doesn't and if it's all coming out watery or pudding like, as in that photo, that's true diarrhea and is seirous and is usually an immediate emergency. If there is just some mushy poop but also normal fecal balls still being produced, or even irregular shaped but still firm and not watery or pudding like, that's not usually as serious a digestive problem.

Thank you for your help.
I think you're right about something being not quite right that I gave her. I will make doubly sure everything is ok before I give her it next time.
She's just had a big drink of water and is now eating pellets she wouldn't eat this morning.

Update for anyone else who comes across similar problem:
The vet prescribed antibiotic baytril as a precaution. She checked her and no teeth spurs, no issues that seemed apparent so she considered if there was an infection.
I have just got another rabbit a week ago from a rescue she thought it could be possible from him. (They are not bonded yet, they are apart in seperate pens but have touched noses through bars)
Stella has pooped a little more and not quite right but not not mushy like the photo.
She is drinking and eating a little. Vet advised just to give hay for the next while.

If she continues to not eat very much, I would suggest asking your vet for a syringe feeding mix, so you can syringe feed and keep her digestion moving. You just don't want GI stasis setting in.

Thankfully she seems to be on the way back to her old self. I have given her a small amount of pellets and she's been eating hay and drinking. She's been running about like usual and although her poops aren't totally right yet, I've just noticed a few normal ones in the tray this afternoon ☺️ sooo relieved. I am still keeping a close eye on her but hopefully over the worst of it now

Back