Help! Sneezy/Snotty!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyemondRabbitry

Reaction score
Alright, I've been doing this for 10 years and have NEVER had a problem like this one. I'd appreciate any and all help asap- please and thank you!

Let me first explain- I run about 15 breeding New Zealand Does. Some are red, some are white. My whites never, ever have had a problem with sneezing or snotting. What I mean by that is the white, icky snot mostly associated with snuffles. My Reds, on the other hand have now developed in some of my juniors a constant snotting that almost seems triggered by stress. Sometimes fresh air helps most of them, other times it doesn't. Only Certain rabbits are exhibiting it! My does don't snot hardly at all but now I'm seeing one red doe starting. My herd buck is almost 4 and hasn't had a sick day in his life! WHERE is this coming from? I'm to the point that everything that snots is going to be culled tonight.

Please please.. anybody that can give me any ideas.. they are so welcome. I don't want to lose my herd.

I know it's not cocidi, I'm almost POSITIVE it's not contagious because it's only certain rabbits but of course they're the best ones.. AND it's not a continual thing.. some days they look terrible and some days they look great.. I'm at my wits end.

The white snot is usually due to a bacterial infection. Most of the pathogens that cause these infections are always present in the rabbit's system at sub-pathogenic levels. It is impossible to completely eradicate the bacteria from the rabbit's system, but that doesn't mean that it is impossible for the rabbit to be healthy.

For this reason, most rabbit upper respiratory infections are not contagious. Many people think of "snuffles" as some terrible, fatal, highly contagious disease that can run through a rabbit barn and strike down the whole herd. This is just not true. The reason it can appear to be contagious is that the real cause of an active upper respiratory infection, stress, will sweep through a barn in that way. A bunny can be stressed from going to a show, seeing a predator through a window, having a noisy bunny in the cage next to them, or even from seeing another bunny that is sick.

The reason stress can cause an active infection is that it weakens the immune system of the rabbit, and the bacteria that is there is highly opportunistic and will take hold, causing the active infection. A rabbit whose immune system is not under stress has strong enough defenses to keep the bacteria from causing an active infection. If stress is experienced, the immune system is weakened to direct more of the body's resources to dealing with that stressor, and an active infection can occur.

Rabbit upper respiratory infections are so dependent on stress rather than contagion that when one bunny in a bonded pair gets a URI, it is NOT recommended to separate them because the bond-mate already has the bacteria.

SO, what is happening with your herd is most likely that the juniors get stressed out from any number of things, like you said, and they get an active infection. Something else is stressing out the rest of your herd, and they too are getting the infection in the same way. Maybe it is the change of seasons, maybe molting, maybe the temperature change in the air, dust or mold in a newer batch of feed, anything. Try to give them a stable environment and treat them all with antibiotics. I would recommend Bicillin injections every other day for all the sick ones for at least a week, 2 weeks if you can stand it.

Dosing instructions are here:
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm

If that doesn't work, you may want to seek a vet's help to get a different antibiotic, like zithromax. I do not think teramycin in the water will be helpful at all for this.

While you carry out the treatment, try to keep the environment as stable as possible. Keep the temperature inside the rabbitry consistent from day to day if you can, maybe even providing some heat at night so they can get used to the change of seasons. Check their feed to make sure it's ok. See if any other animals have been getting into the barn and maybe scaring them.

It certainly does not need to be culled for.

I am afraid that your buns have pasturella by the sound of it.
I have known in cause problems in breeders stock.....and infect a whole chunk of a bunny rescue/sanctuary.

heres some links that may help

http://www.celebratingrabbits.com/stories/pasteurella.html

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

my boy doesnt have discharge and matted fur on his paws...but he has snotty now and then..and when e sneezes white thick snot..im off back to the vets for some more antbx
he had a culture done and his responds to baytril.

he has sneezing attacks every day....every now and then he has a course of piriton antihistamine tablets...the nasal linings are left uber sensitive for stuff to irritate it and leave the bun sneezing.

Unfortunately I figured this out yesterday. I knew they were becoming stressed but the question was- what from?

I took a look at the feed bag because some very young rabbits, just a week or two after being weaned were "bound up" and bloated. My feed has a very, very low crude fiber.. now this is Purina Professional. I had not given hay in a couple weeks (we ran out and were getting it in the barn.)

So guess what? Their guts were bound up, stressing them out and causing the sneezing. 17 rabbits left for meat yesterday. Since the hay everybody else seems to be doing very well. I culled the sneezers though.

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
I'm almost POSITIVE it's not contagious because it's only certain rabbits but of course they're the best ones.. AND it's not a continual thing.. some days they look terrible and some days they look great.. I'm at my wits end.
I mostly agree with what tonyshuman said, but make no mistake about it, the pasteurella bacteria IS highly contagious.

The difference between who shows symptoms and who does not is a case of immune health. Rabbits with strong, healthy immune systems will rarely show symptoms, whereas a rabbit with a comprosmised immune system (due to any stressor) will develop an infection as the bacteria multiply.

You can treat pasteurella, but it cannot be cured. Once a rabbit tests positive for the bacteria (whether they show symptoms or not), they will be a carrier. Some pasteurella positive rabbits never show symptoms, some show symptoms only when stress triggers it, and some get horribly ill.

The best thing to do is either treat the rabbits and find them pet homes with full disclosure of their health needs. Or to cull them from the breeding herd. But never keep around a snotty rabbit- quarantine them immediately. Because show and breeding herds are under constant stress from litters, shows, etc., and it's not difficult for pasteurella to sweep through the barn in no time.

Like I said, those rabbits and the ones around them have all been culled. This has developed into something else though. The Pasturella is not the root of the problem. What we've come to, without a doubt, by doing a couple atopsy's (yes, I can't spell today) is they are totally bound up! The fibre content of their feed is so low and like I said, we ran out of feed and just got some made (so they were out for about 2 weeks). Everybody's getting no pellets, free choice hay, and I gave pumpkin to the ones that haven't had a bowl movement in a bit.. any suggestions? Anybody have corn problems? I need to pin-point EXACTLY where this is coming from. I culled 5 due to even showing signs of sneezing or being sneezy.. or next to ones being sneezy (thank god they were spread out) BUT this isn't the problem right now.. my problem is constipated, bloated rabbits :(

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
The Pasturella is not the root of the problem.
It may not be the root of the problem, but precautions still need to be taken while your herd is under this stress because they have been exposed to pasteurella. As noted, stress is what can bring out symptoms in pasteurella-positive rabbits. In this case, the sudden diet change seems to have compromised their immune systems and brought about symptoms. So it would be a good idea to go ahead and bleach all the cages that the culled rabbits were in, as well as their water bottles and feed bowls. The bacteria can linger, so make sure you disinfect anything they came in contact with. Even though the rabbits are gone now, the bacteria may not be so it's just something to be sure you clear up so that it doesn't affect anyone else.

I don't mean to beat this topic to death, I'd just really hate for you to lose anymore rabbits.:(

As far as the diet complications though, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Free choice hay is an excellent idea, along with the pumpkin. Make sure the rabbits are staying hydrated (syringe water if you need too). Massaging bellies and/or letting rabbits out in a play pen to run could help too...exercise would be good if they're willing to move around.

Done done and done. First thing I ever do is grab the bleach bottle and go on attack mode.. lol! Just an FYI guys this seems to spread MUCH MUCH further than just me. I have word that many breeders in Ohio are having the same problem and have witnessed three other local breeders with the same situation! Exactly! EXCEPT they all feed different corn-containing feeds! Corn-free feeding breeders are fine!!! I am going to a show (not taking any animals) to talk to some people today... very scary situation we are in!

That is scary. It doesn't surprise me though that corn can cause GI upset--the simple sugars and carbohydrates in it can cause a big GI bacteria imbalance, especially if they got a not-so-great load of corn used in several batches of feed. I know Purina Green Bag got a bad reputation for this happening.

Looks like everybody is doing OK- we may loose 3 more that I've tried everything with.. they may be too far gone I'm not sure. Went to corn free and high fiber with everybody else and they're doing wonderfully! I'm waitting to hear from Purina today- I think they'll be getting an earful! They changed Fiber 3 to a very low protein (no notice, no nothing) and so we went to Pro and now this. The oil content in Sho is so high.. but I think we will be going to that now and changing our conditioning regime. RRRR~!

My glasses broke so I'm having a hard time reading the screen - I may have missed this...

Did Purina change the formula for Pro? That's what I use for my flemish .... so far no problems...

No no change for Pro- they changed fibre 3 last winter down to a 15% I believe.. much too small for you or I. Pro so far hasn't changed but I've got a bad batch on my hands. Please watch yours. They are supposed to be calling back today after testing their sample.

Latest posts

Back