Help! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alifoo

Reaction score
A week ago, my bunny suffered a spine injury. He's been on steroids and doing much better. He's been hopping around, eating/drinking on his own, pooping, etc. He's not made it back to his normal energy level, but he was doing a lot better.

All of the sudden today, he's doing terrible. He's not moving, has labored breathing, not eating or drinking, and not really taking food and drink from the syringe. What is going on? What should I do? Thanks!

I'd advise getting him back to the vet asap.

Try not to move him around any more than necessary.

See if you can get some fluids into him. Hydration is important.

He's been a steroids all this time? Really should have only been a one time shot. :( he probably has an infection.

He'll need ER vet treatment, shots of antibiotics, subq fluids.

Keep him warm, don't move him much, definitely dont try and give him fluids or anything else orally if he's cold and/or lethargic.

sas :pray:

The vet gave him a shot of steroids and 30 5mg prednizone pills. I'm suppose to give him 1/2 2x/day for 10 days, then 1/2 pill per day for 10 days.
What do too many steroids do? Where should I take him that will know about rabbits? That vet is the only one in my area that treats rabbits. Will they see him at the emergency vet?

I would get him to the emergency vet. Like Pipp said, they can do fluids and heat. In addition, they can give extra oxygen either by putting him in an incubator or intubating him and doing forced air ventillation. Not all vets are comfortable intubating a bunny, but they should be able to do it, or at the least put him in an incubator.

Sadly, Teddy did not make it, he passed away last night. He was getting so much better until yesterday. I don't know why the vet had me giving him steroids. I miss the little bun already.

OhI am so very sorry.... :(; I thought that he had made it :(
We can say that is not good to give a bun steroids over time but we really cannot say that is why he died.
It is still possible that there was an injury last week that did not resolve properly

I am sure that you are not thinking in this direction but only a necropsy bya vet who really knows rabbit anatomy could at least have ruled out problems with the spinal cord
All in all you did the best that you could have possibly done for him..

:hug:

Latest posts

Back