HELP!! Rabbit peeing during digging behavior.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claw-markes

Reaction score
I just adopted a rabbit a few weeks ago, came from a friend who's child turned out to be allergic to him. He is a one year old Holland Lop and is litter trained. But he has started displaying digging behavior on my couch and whenever he does it, first he poops and then he urinates A LOT.

I tried making him a digging box, and he went nuts for it - but did the same thing! I tried giving him his own towel and his own little mat, same thing. Every time he starts digging he does this. And it seems to be getting worse.

He's extremely well-behaved other than this. Very affectionate, loves to follow me around the house and snuggle. I'm not sure what to do as I know that digging is a natural instinct and not something I can stop. How can I separate these actions in his mind?

Is he neutered? Could he be scent marking if not?
No, he's not neutered. I was worried it might be something like that. I was wondering if maybe they tend to pee when they dig their burrows so that other rabbits know it's their's, but I couldn't find anything online saying that was the case.

They'll also dig to move something out of their way, try and get to something, dig down to cooler 'dirt' to flop down on because they're hot, to get your attention, to express irritation, and/or communicate something they want from you (eg food, treats, nose rubs).

It could be he smells something you don't, is trying to dig down to it, and is just adding his scent to the spot, especially if he's primarily only doing it in certain places. If you're picking him up to place him on the couch as opposed to him hopping up there himself, he could be doing it to express his irritation at being picked up, which I would suggest letting him hop up on his own and really not be picking him up except when absolutely necessary. Most buns hate being picked up(being a prey animal)and it can affect having a trusting relationship with them. Or it could be he needs to pee and can't get to the litter box, or forgets he needs to. A lot of rabbits just like peeing on soft surfaces.

If you don't want him peeing there, you'll need to block access to the couch or put a waterproof barrier down. Putting a litter box up there may also work. Neutering may help the issue, but even fixed buns will sometimes not be able to resist peeing on soft surfaces.

They'll also dig to move something out of their way, try and get to something, dig down to cooler 'dirt' to flop down on because they're hot, to get your attention, to express irritation, and/or communicate something they want from you (eg food, treats, nose rubs).

It could be he smells something you don't, is trying to dig down to it, and is just adding his scent to the spot, especially if he's primarily only doing it in certain places. If you're picking him up to place him on the couch as opposed to him hopping up there himself, he could be doing it to express his irritation at being picked up, which I would suggest letting him hop up on his own and really not be picking him up except when absolutely necessary. Most buns hate being picked up(being a prey animal)and it can affect having a trusting relationship with them. Or it could be he needs to pee and can't get to the litter box, or forgets he needs to. A lot of rabbits just like peeing on soft surfaces.

If you don't want him peeing there, you'll need to block access to the couch or put a waterproof barrier down. Putting a litter box up there may also work. Neutering may help the issue, but even fixed buns will sometimes not be able to resist peeing on soft surfaces.
Thank you for the detailed reply! He is freely hopping on and off the couch, not me picking him up. It's definitely not a litter box issue because it ONLY happens when he digs, he is otherwise very good about only peeing in his litter boxes (one in his cage and one in the corner of the living room). It's happened on the couch, it happened on the floor on a little mat that I bought for him to play with, and it happened on the floor in a different location when I made him a digging box to try to keep him from digging on the couch. I think I am just going to need to get him neutered, I was hoping there might be another solution. I'm just worried that won't stop it and I put him through that for nothing. It's always scary to subject an animal to surgery.

I was scared about getting my bun neutered too. He is my first rabbit ever. But I got it done. He did really well. I don't know if that helps you feel better about it or not. But just wanted to say I understand the fear of it.

I was scared about getting my bun neutered too. He is my first rabbit ever. But I got it done. He did really well. I don't know if that helps you feel better about it or not. But just wanted to say I understand the fear of it.
Thank you, that actually does make me feel a little better.

It does sound like maybe he is scenting. My female mini lop after I have cleaned out her pen and laid out clean wood shavings will often dig and move it and then pee. I know this is her scenting her territory, but often I have seen her dig a bit where she goes to the toilet and then pee.

So maybe your bun is scenting or is being a natural digger and then scenting whatever new thing you give him.

It does sound like maybe he is scenting. My female mini lop after I have cleaned out her pen and laid out clean wood shavings will often dig and move it and then pee. I know this is her scenting her territory, but often I have seen her dig a bit where she goes to the toilet and then pee.

So maybe your bun is scenting or is being a natural digger and then scenting whatever new thing you give him.
If he's scenting, does that mean he will stop when he is satisfied or will he keep wanting to continually do it?

Well, I reckon those are rather short digging bursts, that go with the pooping and peeing?
That would be normal male marking behaviour, they dig fist sized holes all over the place and leave their mark. That's actually a way I could pick out missexed bucklings from the doelings groups - does mark too, but don't do those short digging bursts , when they dig it's a tunnel.

My intact buck Pacino (and his spayed cuddlebun Dotty) is my free roam house bunny, but he does that outside in the garden (can go out during daylight hours). What annoyes me is that he sometimes tries to spray Dotty, with no regard where he is. There is quite some mopping up to do, including furniture up to hip height. He's about 4 now, so age doesn't settle it, from what I have heard that's less of an issue if intact males are alone.

I think if he weren't my breeding buck I would have gotten him neutered long ago.

Well, I reckon those are rather short digging bursts, that go with the pooping and peeing?
That would be normal male marking behaviour, they dig fist sized holes all over the place and leave their mark. That's actually a way I could pick out missexed bucklings from the doelings groups - does mark too, but don't do those short digging bursts , when they dig it's a tunnel.

My intact buck Pacino (and his spayed cuddlebun Dotty) is my free roam house bunny, but he does that outside in the garden (can go out during daylight hours). What annoyes me is that he sometimes tries to spray Dotty, with no regard where he is. There is quite some mopping up to do, including furniture up to hip height. He's about 4 now, so age doesn't settle it, from what I have heard that's less of an issue if intact males are alone.

I think if he weren't my breeding buck I would have gotten him neutered long ago.
Thank you, that is incredibly helpful insight into his behavior!!! I made him a vet appointment for his pre-surgical exam, hopefully neutering will help. He REALLY loves being on the couch and isn't happy that I am not letting him right now.

Our naughty lionhead girl, along with all our sanctuary buns, are spayed and neutered. For some reason, 3 yr. old lionhead girl who is very territorial about her space (as rabbits can be!) is a talented digger and chewer. Of the more than 40+ or so buns who have shared our home, or come thru our rescue, little miss lionhead is a professional digger of soft sheets or bedding (as JBun referenced). She simply enjoys digging!

@claw-markes, I hope you have a rabbit-savvy DVM you can also consult. I feel JBun and Blue Eyes provide excellent tips and advice all the time.

Thank you for your patience and giving this rehome-needy boy a chance to share your home!

Q; Do you have other pets in your home?

Another helpful article on rabbit behavior and digging:

https://bunnylady.com/digging/

Our naughty lionhead girl, along with all our sanctuary buns, are spayed and neutered. For some reason, 3 yr. old lionhead girl who is very territorial about her space (as rabbits can be!) is a talented digger and chewer. Of the more than 40+ or so buns who have shared our home, or come thru our rescue, little miss lionhead is a professional digger of soft sheets or bedding (as JBun referenced). She simply enjoys digging!

@claw-markes, I hope you have a rabbit-savvy DVM you can also consult. I feel JBun and Blue Eyes provide excellent tips and advice all the time.

Thank you for your patience and giving this rehome-needy boy a chance to share your home!

Q; Do you have other pets in your home?

Another helpful article on rabbit behavior and digging:

https://bunnylady.com/digging/
I am so glad I found this forum, all of you have been so helpful!!!! Thank you!! I am definitely consulting you kind folks if I have any future rabbit questions.

I can tolerate the digging, I have couch covers and towels that I don't mind if he shreds, it's the peeing that needs to stop if he wants to share the couch. (Which I really want too, because he is so much fun to snuggle with! But, he sits by and nuzzles my feet when I am on the couch, and that is beyond adorable.)

The only other pets are 4 very small parrots. They don't really interact as the birds prefer to stay high up on their perches.

The main thing I would suggest if you're concerned about how safe it is getting him neutered, is finding the absolutely most experienced and best rabbit vet available to you that you can afford, if the vet you're already going to isn't. It can sometimes be a lot more expensive, but it can increase the chances of a safe neuter.

I had an experience of going with a cheaper less experienced vet, and almost lost my rabbit, who didn't end up getting neutered at the time because of the complications. Luckily he survived, and a year later when I got up the nerve to try again, I went to the best(and most expensive) rabbit vet in my state, and he was neutered with absolutely no problems.

This vet did presurgical bloodwork, IV access for the surgery, and intubated him(which I think was very important for my rabbit to have done). An experienced rabbit vet can make all the difference. Getting that pre surgical blood work done to ensure proper kidney/liver function, making sure there is IV access during the surgery, and choosing a vet experienced with intubating rabbits, can all increase chances for a successful surgery.

This list has some good rabbit vets, but it's not absolute, so I would suggest also doing some research.
https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://hare.as.miami.edu/opcare.html

The main thing I would suggest if you're concerned about how safe it is getting him neutered, is finding the absolutely most experienced and best rabbit vet available to you that you can afford, if the vet you're already going to isn't. It can sometimes be a lot more expensive, but it can increase the chances of a safe neuter.

I had an experience of going with a cheaper less experienced vet, and almost lost my rabbit, who didn't end up getting neutered at the time because of the complications. Luckily he survived, and a year later when I got up the nerve to try again, I went to the best(and most expensive) rabbit vet in my state, and he was neutered with absolutely no problems.

This vet did presurgical bloodwork, IV access for the surgery, and intubated him(which I think was very important for my rabbit to have done). An experienced rabbit vet can make all the difference. Getting that pre surgical blood work done to ensure proper kidney/liver function, making sure there is IV access during the surgery, and choosing a vet experienced with intubating rabbits, can all increase chances for a successful surgery.

This list has some good rabbit vets, but it's not absolute, so I would suggest also doing some research.
https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://hare.as.miami.edu/opcare.html
Thank you for the detailed reply and resources! Looks like the closest vet to me on that website is about 5 hours away but in my own internet searches of local vet's who treat rabbits, one is the vet who treated my long past cats and my current birds (I was shocked how many of the websites I looked at made no mention of rabbits when they are such a common pet.). I have a pre-surgical appointment booked for Wednesday of this week.

Coconut had his surgery today, everything went well and he already has a hearty appetite. They told me he was "perfect" and "a delight". I have him resting in a recovery pen I set up in a quiet part of the house. Thank you all for your amazing and compassionate advice!!

Ok, I have another question for you guys. I was starting to panic, thinking he wasn't urinating and that the surgery was botched... But it turned out, he's just not urinating in his litter box.

He has the kind of box with the little grate over it to keep it sanitary and he loves to sit in it. He is still doing that, so why would he choose to leave the box to go somewhere else? Could this be him expressing upset emotions about the surgery?

Other than this odd behavior, he is doing fantastic. Alert, energetic, great appetite, affectionate. He has completely stopped his sexually aggressive behaviors that I don't think I mentioned before (humping combined with light nipping).

Did he used to use his litter box fine? Has anything about it changed, different litter, been moved to a different spot, etc?

Back