Help, questions about rabbits and breeding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyFofo

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum and some to house rabbits (not outdoor rabbits, I lived ona rabbit farm for four years when I was young). But, I got an American fuzzy lop buck (he is now 9 1/2 weeks old). I got a female lion head from the feed store two days ago. I have them in separate cages, and am keeping them that way till my boy gets neutered. I let them out at separate play times and such. My daughter accidental let the boy bunny out when I was in the next room with the girl (she is 8 wks old). I set the girl on the floor to play, and she runs out in the hall way and meets male bunny. He runs over and instantly jumps on her and does his "business" for about three seconds before I can run over and break it up. :scared:Oh my gosh! I feel terrible. They are both young and I hate backyard breeders! I know that accidents can happen (as mine did), but I would never intentionally breed my rabbits. They are not even the same breed!

Please help with info! Can she have possible gotten pregnant at only 8 wks? I know bunnies do the hump thing for show of dominance, but I am still worried!

Ahhhhhhh! Will it kill her if she is pregnant, being so young? I feel horrible!:cry2

Trust me, daughter knows not to EVER touch the bunnies cage again when I am not around! Oh, brother!

As far as I'm aware, 12 weeks is the earliesta doecan get pregnant but I am not a breeder and would not be able to say for sure.

And he might not have been breeding with her, he might have been showing his dominence.

Anyways, accidents happen and as long as you realise it isn't alright to keep doing it (once is an accident, twice isn't)and take the proper precautions then there is no problem with it. Even thebest bunny owners have accidents happen. :)

Now can anyone answer this question for sure? I was just speculating on what I've read.

I would never let it happen at all! Kids are a lot of causes for these "accedents". They want to see the bunnies "play together". I really had a long talkto my daughter, and made sure that this would not happen again! I hope nothing really "happened". They are both getting fixed when they are old enough.

Thank you for your reply!

More than likely your doe isn't pregnant. She's too young to be interested in that stuff and the buck was probably doing a dominance thing. I've kept males and females together until about 9-10 weeks before with no accidental breedings.

Ellie

Yes, I will be happy to post some more pics. I have to get a battery for my camera though! Probibly later this week. I have college finals till tuesday! Than I am done for a month! Yippy!

Liz, fufu & Feefee

pamnock wrote:
She is too young at 8 weeks old to conceive, and it is unlikely that the amorous little buck had viable sperm at 9 1/2 weeks of age anyhow. I wouldn't worry.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/
As was my belief until I met a Mini Rex doe who kindled at 11 1/2 weeks old :shock:.

Liz... during those few seconds that he was "doing his business"... did you ever notice him grunt & fall off?

~Sunshine

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
Liz... during those few seconds that he was "doing his business"... did you ever notice him grunt & fall off?
:roflmao:

I'm sorry. It's probablyWAY wrong of me to laugh at that, but I can't help it.

When Shadow did that to his stuffed bunny pal, hubby said we should give him a cigarette. Hee hee.

No, he just jumped at her with his back-end going, then I ran over and scared them apart...

He ran off. I was sooo worried about the two of them breeding that Ibrought the female back, and am only keeping the male till he isneutered. I would feel horrible if something like that were to happenagain. And with a six year old in the house, it is best to be safe thensorry! Kids seem to have a way of letting "accidents" happen. They letthe rabbits play together, in the time it takes you to finish goingpotty---its to late! ;)

I've had a male who was able to mate at 9weeks....but that was unusual. I do happen to know it was him thoughwhen the doe got pregnant.

But I agree with everyone else - thankfully your doe was too young..

I hope your family enjoys the rabbits and I'm sure that they can learn to not put them together again...

Peg

oh, you took the female back to the store?? didyou warn them about what happened? It scares me that on the possibilitythat she did happen to get pregnant, and then this place is stuck witha doe and her babies. Could you ask them to hold her for you oranything???

Hate to see a rabbit without a home...

Latest posts

Back