HELP PROTEST: RABBITS KILLED, SKINNED, BEHEADED FOR “THEATRE”

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkybinky

Reaction score
As part of the Lincoln Center (New York City) Festival, the Royal Shakespeare Company
will be putting on a production of “As You Like It” starting
Wednesday, July 6 at the Park Avenue Armory in New York City for six
weeks of repertoire.
The article states that the Company will get a freshly killed rabbit
prior to each performance. Then, as part of this COMEDY, the rabbit
will be skinned and beheaded on stage!
Source: http://rabbitwise.org/blog/alerts-n...e/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook
Apparently, this has been going on for years! Please help protest this and continue spreading the word to your friends or others that may be helpful in protesting this horrible act! It'd also be great if you can help post a message protesting this on the Facebook of RSC and Lincoln Center Festival Facebook! Thanks!!

If you click on the link, it gives a phone number to call. We should all call it!

There is also a link on the page to email. This is the email I sent:

I read in the Wallstreet Journal that your performance of "As You Like It" includes a "freshly killed rabbit... as part of this COMEDY, the rabbit will be skinned and beheaded on stage!" How is this comedy? If a dead rabbit must be included in the play, why not a plastic, or some other fake rabbit?

I am thankful that the times I watched one of your Shakespeare plays, dead animals were not included in the story.

Just when one thinks our society is finally evolving past brutalty, something like this has to pop up. PLEASE stop!

I do not understand how dead animals are funny. Except for the Friends episode with the turkey, that skeeved me out and made me laugh.

Yuck, that sounds messy and smelly and not very hygenic.

There is a report that the performance will not use a real rabbit in New York.

Have a good day!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/linc...use-of-rabbits-from-the-rsc/10150293236709047

The Royal Shakespeare Company has decided not to use rabbits for its performances of As You Like It in New York.

The production opened in Stratford-upon-Avon in 2009 in the rural heart of the U.K. Thedead rabbits used for the performances in Britain—part of a scene illustrating the contrast between court and countryside, where lifewasharsher and people hunted and prepared their own food—were sourced locally from gamekeepers as part of a farming control program.

The RSC and the RSPCA (the U.K. equivalent of the ASPCA) were satisfied that the rabbits used for theperformances in Britain were sourced responsibly and killed humanely.

Yeah, I emailed them and this is the reply I received:

Thank you for raising your concerns. We've received a number of letters on this issue and we would like to share our statement:

The RSC has decided to drop the use of rabbits for its performances of As You Like It In New York.

The production opened in Stratford-upon-Avon in 2009 in the rural heart of the UK. The dead rabbits used for the performances in Britain were part of a scene illustrating the contrast between court and countryside, where life was harsher and people hunted and prepared their own food, and were sourced locally from game-keepers as part of a farming control programme. The RSC and the RSPCA (UK equivalent of the ASPCA) were satisfied that the rabbits used in the British performances were sourced responsibly and killed humanely. It has not been possible to source rabbits in the same way in New York.

Royal Shakespeare Company Audience Care Team

Latest posts

Back