HELP!!!! Problem with 1 week old ND's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewlingcricket

Reaction score
Okay, so we had 4 litters last week. 2 ND and 2LH One ND litter turned 1 week yesterday and the other 1 week old today. I check the boxes daily to make sure the kits are doing well. Everyone was fine yesterday, this morning I find that Jessica my first time ND mom has removed all the fur from her litter, drenched both kits in urine and is walking around the cage with hay in her mouth like she wants to build a new nest. I cleaned out the nest box, put in fresh materials but kept the babies out to clean them. She immediatley started building a new nest, and is alternating between putting hay in the box, and laying/panting beside the box. I think she may think she is having a second litter. Is it safe to put the kits back or should I foster them to the other 1 week old litter???

Help Please:shock::?

Sounds like she was stressed and felt her babies were in danger there so wanted to move them.

Foster them, I wouldn't keep them in with her she might do it again.

I have fostered the kits and am watching to make sure the doe accepts them (shouldn't be a problem, shes a great doe) Jessica was bred on 10/24 and had her two kits on 11/24. She was only with the buck a few minutes and then has not been with another buck since. She has completely built a new nest and lined it with fur, this time though she built walls all the way to the top of the box, and wove it to make a roof on the nest too, the hay is coming out of the box and you have to look down it like (ha ha) a rabbit hole.

Fidgety doe. Maybe she didn't like the way she did it the first time. There are people who do that too! haha

So I thought I would give everyone an update. Jessica has not had any new babies but is still acting funny. Thumpette has done a great job fostering so far! And since I mixed the litters and have the opportunity to see the kits side by side I think I may have some chocolates on my hand! (i'm really excited.....) Or at least I hope that is what I am seeing. Below are some pics :)

Jessica's litter (which is now being fostered by Thumpette)

12828_021826_010000002.jpg

Thumpettes litter

12828_021826_000000000.jpg

The two litters together

12828_021826_010000001.jpg

oh and the crazy nest that I jessica has built

12828_021825_060000000.jpg

Latest posts

Back