Help please!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpc

Reaction score
Blaze my new zealand red had a litter of kits onmonday she made a great nest lots of hair pulling, this morning after itook the kits to feed ( i have them inside due to the weird weatherhere) at 5:30 a.m. she was fine well when my husband went to work hechecked on her again well this is where i need the infp or help she isis pulling a tun of hair again (we didn't know that a male was in thecage untill the babies showed up monday we were told by the breader itwas a female ) could she be preggers twice and have them this close ifso will the second set of kits live, will she still care for the firstset of kits or will i have to try to hand raise them (hope not i lost alot of kits this way)thanks kim

Has it gotten colder there? I had a doe pull extrafur a day after kindling due to a drop in temp.

Lanna

the temps are the same mabe a little warmer thetemps are to drop by this weekend to 25 at night and 45 day i waswondering if that could cause her to pull more fur i put a new nest boxin her cage in case she has more

I wish I could answer but I honestly dont know. Ihave read that because rabbits have two uterine horns they can becomepregnant in both. So, in theory, it's very possible. But I think it's arare occurance. I cant see the harm in putting in another nest box"just in case." If she doesnt have any more babies then you can savethe extra fur in case the other nest box gets soiled and you have toclean it.

Lanna

P.S. If she has a second set of kits I would put them in the nestboxwith the first set. I would think she'd care for both of them.

It can happen that they get pregnant the night they have a litter.

I know of a member of this forum who's rabbit became pregnant the same night she had a litter.

I think Lanna's thoughts and advice to youis right on.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

lanna21974 wrote:
I wish I could answer but I honestly dont know. I have readthat because rabbits have two uterine horns they can become pregnant inboth. But I think it's a rare occurance.
Lanna

It is very rare to have it happen in a rabbit,but has evenoccured in humans. It is common in hares and called"superfoetation".

Thecommon reasoning of the double uterine horn doesn't makesense because most animals (dogs, cats, cows, pigs, horses, etc.,etc.,) have two uterine horns, and on rare occasions, a humans uterusdevelops into two horns. The rabbit has what is known as abicornate uterus, which is actually very similar to that of the horse,cow or dolphin.

The explaination for most "double" litters in rabbits is the fact thatthe doe breeds again immediately after giving birth and producesanother litter 30 days later.

It's not uncommon for a doe to rebuild or add to the nest. Dokeep an eye on her and let us know if another litter arrives.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Theexplaination for most "double" litters in rabbits is the fact that thedoe breeds again immediately after giving birth and produces anotherlitter 30 days later.

It's not uncommon for a doe to rebuild or add to the nest. Dokeep an eye on her and let us know if another litter arrives.

Pam

Sorry! I misunderstood what you had asked, kpc. Ithought you were wondering if you'd have another litter in 30days.

Thanks, Pam, for clarifyingthat.

How's she doing today, kpc?

-Carolyn

I don't think she was exposed to the buck after the litter was born (but I may have read it wrong).

Pam

Well,I didn't know there was a buck in with heruntill after the litter was found:shock: I had what I thought was 3females in a 6 foot by 3 foot cage with a dog house for a shelter thisis about 3 or 4 feet off the ground so they have room to play therabbits were outside rabbits when we got the . I knew 2 were does theyhave had kits before but the new rabbit I got 3 months age was onlyabout 2 or 3 months old all 3 rabbits bonded very well no fights wewere told that the new bunny barnie aka bonnie was a doe.

I've had many does who have pulled more hairafter they kindled...sometimes for a couple/three days. Iused to kid them that they better watch out or they'd be bald.

However, if you didn't know that there was a buck in there untilafter the litter was found, you could very well be expectingkits again in roughly 30 days. And, how about the other doe?

- Dolores

My mom had a doe when she was young that decidedto reach thru the cage wires to her buck and take his fur as much aspossible too! LOL.

Unfortunately, she took skin with it a few times and he had to be moved away from her!

the other doe does not seam to bf preggers then icould be fooled again. blaze has stoped pulling fur and she has stoppedfeeding her kits with her last litter she didn't biuld a nest or pullfur she also did not have any milk, i didn't realy want her to haveanother litter. my husband and i hand fed them drop by drop a littlewhile ago

Latest posts

Back