HELP PLEASE THANK YOU

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitlover04

Reaction score
My name is katie. i am 14 years old. i reallywant a rabbit for christmas this year. i have never had a pet in mylife because my mom is allergic to cats and dogs and birds are to loud.i heard that hamsters and guinea pigs can bite alot, so i think arabbit is my best bet. i will be keeping my rabbit in a cage on a standin my room. i am a animal lover and i always cry whenever i go to thestore and see all the little animals cuz i have never had one but now ireally want a rabbit and i am gonna try to learn a lot so i can getone. i need to know, if my mom is allergic to cats and dogs, then willshe most likely be allergic to rabbits or not necessarily. I also needto know how long rabbits usually live, how long they normally have togo to a vet, if female holland lop rabbits are nice or mean and if theymake good pets, and does a female rabbit really need to be spayed orcan it do without it? i am really lost and i need sum1's help. i willtake any responses ican get. i have been posting topics allday but no one will reply! i really need help! i want a rabbit! thanksand have a great day!

rabbitlover04 wrote:
My name is katie. i am 14 years old. i really want a rabbit forchristmas this year. i have never had a pet in my life because my momis allergic to cats and dogs and birds are to loud. i heard thathamsters and guinea pigs can bite alot, so i think a rabbit is my bestbet. i will be keeping my rabbit in a cage on a stand in my room. i ama animal lover and i always cry whenever i go to the store and see allthe little animals cuz i have never had one but now i really want arabbit and i am gonna try to learn a lot so i can get one. i need toknow, if my mom is allergic to cats and dogs, then will she most likelybe allergic to rabbits or not necessarily. I also need to know how longrabbits usually live, how long they normally have to go to a vet, iffemale holland lop rabbits are nice or mean and if they make good pets,and does a female rabbit really need to be spayed or can it do withoutit? i am really lost and i need sum1's help. i will take any responsesi can get. i have been posting topics all day but no one will reply! ireally need help! i want a rabbit! thanks and have a great day!

Rabbits live 8-10 years. You may want to check if your mom is allergic to the bunny before you get it.
Rabbits can bite too, but most of them are nice and cuddly animals. Especially if they get lots of love.

I think its very important for a bunny to get outside time from thecage, since they need space to run around and play. They have lots ofenergy and need to spend it or they can become sad and bored.

Im not sure about the allergies but ifshes allergic to cats and dogs, shed definately be allergic to birdsand Guinea pigs!! more than likely rabbitsalso

does she agree to you having a pet? your best bet would be toresearch theres tons of websites out there., They can live up to 12yrs, if kept indoors, and I think its a good idea to spay a female,they live longer, it lowers the chances of getting certain illnessesand females can have alot of false pregnancies which can really stressher out, also females can spray just likes unaltered males can!!

do you know of anyone with a bunny? if so what if you *babysat*for a few days to see if thats what you really want and to make sureyour mom isnt allergic to it! you would have to bunny proof your roomalso, being 14, Im sure you have lots of stereo wires, computer wiresetc laying around!!

abotu the vet, they need to see the vet whenever the needarisies, some never need a vet some need one all of the time, you dontknow until you have your bunny!!

oops I said 12 yrs, I thought some lived that long??

they live longer if you alter them!!

also unlatered males can have a rough time during teenage yrs,either sex, its best to get them fixed!!check around tho, alot of vets wont fix females, like my vet wont,,justmales

My mom is allergic to cats and dogs, but neverhad a problem with my buns. But definitely see if you can'babysit' a bunny for a couple of days from a friend or even from ashelter to make sure that a bunny is the right pet for you!

If money is a issue why not maybe check outgetting a rabbit from a shelter. I got both of mine from one and paid30 for one with all her supplies but food and hay and i got the otherone for 45 with his cage and no supplies. With the shelter i adoptedmine from it depends on what they came with. Luv was left with her cageand dishes and water bottle and Roger was dumped there with nothing, soi paid more for him. Both Rabbits were fixed so thats a expensive ididnt have to worry about. Both my rabbits are grown so i didmiss out on the baby stuff.

Cristy

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Both Rabbits were fixed so thats a expensive i didnt have toworry about. Both my rabbits are grown so i did miss out on the babystuff.

Cristy

I am not sure thats a bad thing. Just think about the fact that you missed the spraying and teenage years.

yea thats very true!!! Only been pee'd on twiceby roger and that was when i didnt listen to him and put himdown. Now i know better.

Cristy

I never got sprayed yet, and I am still planningto neuter my bunny. The first time he sprays me, I am neutering him thesame day.

If you have a cage on a stand, keep in mind thatyou'd have to reach in to get your rabbit down and not all rabbits liketo be picked up. In fact, most of them hate it. The ideal situation isa cage on floor level, or to have a ramp so the bunny can go up anddown on its own.

Rabbits do make wonderful pets though, and bring me so much happniess.I think it's great of you to be doing this research first and educatingyourself before taking it on.

i am not tring to sound condesendinghere but you may want to get a book or TWO onrabbbits also do some reserch on the web . rabbits are not like cats adogs . the are very very different. and most people but arabbit deside they dont like it because (most) of them dont like to beheld. or they scrach or bite. i have a guinea pig and have hadhamsters and both are GREAT pets and would love you and thereqiure alot less then a rabbit .i have had lyla my hollandlop since june i belive it was. and only about 2 months agodid she start to really want to hang around with me. and what i mean bythat is i let her out of her cage to run around every day and she runsand dose her own thing and come over for her pets. until recently wereshe wont leave me alone lol. haveing a rabbit is rewarding but takesalot of work. i am going to give you some good websites withinformation.

good luck and please try to know what you are getiing into. i am nottring to discourge you only help you to make sure that this is what youreally want and to help against more bunnys being put intoshelters.

sara

http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html

the site above is great browse the hole site to lear lots of things on bunny care.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/children.html

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/brandolino-poem.html

I agree withgjsara. Make sure you understand that bunnies are different than catsand dogs in the sense that they aren't "normally" the kind of pet thatyou walk into the room and they come to you, want to be picked up,cuddled, and played with. Some are, but most are not. They also havevery fragile health issues. I didn't understand this when I got mybunny. If your bunny gets sickyou must take propercare of itor it can die quickly. Bunnies are wonderful,smart, beautiful animals and make terrific pets, if you know what youare getting into. Do your research, and if that's what you decide todo, we will help you all along the way! Good Luck!

RaspberrySwirl

Latest posts

Back