Help! Our two "male" rabbits just had babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not fond of the Kaytee brands of food. The Fiesta mix has a lot of "puffs" and "seeds" that are high in sugar. (Sugar is not good for a healthy rabbits digestive processes.) Pet Store foods tend to sit in plastic bags on warehouse shelves for many months before being delivered to stores where they sit under florescent lighting. They are not always fresh and may not have much nutritinal value by the time you feed it to your rabbits.

Are there any Feed stores or Farm stores near you?I prefer a plain alfalfa pellet, from a distributor thatkeeps his stock fresh. Feed should come in a solid, light proof bag. There are SO many feeds available... Blue Seal, Nutrena, Purina, Heinold, Nature Wise, etc....

Or you can feed Oxbow, they have a timothy based pellet (15% protein) that is very well balanced. (Also available through mail order, but shipping can get expensive).

You have to see what works for you and your bunnies. And what they are willing to eat. And with the number of bunnies youare going to be feeding over the next couple months, you might be better off buying a 25 or 50 lb bag of feed... it would be a LOT cheaper than buying the 5 and 10 lb bags you get now.

Before you buy a big bag, ask if they have samples you can try out. Mix it with what you usually feed and see if they will accept it. (Although, with the Kaytee Fiesta, it may be hard weaning them over... it's very sweet.)

Do you feed hay? That is really very good for their digestion, even the babies can nibble on it! (Again, Feed stores have fresher hay than the stuff you get in plastic bags in the store.)

I'll have to look around, I'm sure there is something in the orlando area like that.
Yes I do feed them hay, Timothy hay usually, though alfalfa as a treat on occasion (as I read somewhere it was high in something that wasn't good to give them a lot of.)
Fresh vegetables as well, we tend to have a lot on hand since we are both vegetarians. I always check online to make sure the vegetables are okay to feed them, and since I dont buy iceberg for myself don't worry they get none of that awful nutrition-less stuff.

Timothy hay is excellent for them. Alfalfa can be high in protein and too much is not good. And the fresh vege's and fruit is good for diversity... sounds like they are doing fine. :bunnydance:

Everybody looks like they are doing well today. If I take them out they'll bounce around my lap and then curl up and go to sleep. The cats have been a little interested in them, especially our youngest mayfly, but I keep a hold on them if they come over, so far its only be harmless sniffing, and as they hang out with the mama and papa just fine and have never done anything but groom them I'm hoping nothing disastrous happens. Still keeping a close eye on them just in case.
Already have had a few friends who want one, told them to do some research first, and really think about it over the next 8 weeks or so until they are ready to find new homes.

So happy they are doing well! Yeah, it's best to keep an eye (or hand!) on the cats, although most cats adapt to mature rabbits very well...at this stage, they might mistake them for a small rodent!)

Glad to hear you may have responsible homes for them. It's good that they have time to think about it.

You sound like a wonderful pet owner! Though you found Rabbits Online out of necessity, I hope you continue to frequent it and be a part of our community!

My neighbor had the same thing happen - she had two definitely female rabbits (one was one of my Hollands, the other was a friend's Mini Rex) and her son's girlfriend had a Rex "female" rabbit she needed to find a home for. That rabbit was put in with the other does and I only got the panicked phone call "we have babies and three females... could a wild bunny have gotten in to the enclosure?"

I sexed the newcomer and she was a boy. He also came to live with me until he passed away at the age of eight.

The baby bunny is cute!

I feed Blue Seal Bunny 16 to my herd and they are doing well on it. Being on a farm they also get timothy hay and veggies during the growing season although mine have been enjoying carrots and parsley from the store...

Welcome!

Denise

Yeah most people have problems sexing rabbits. I know I did when I did it the first time.

Now it will be easy to sex the babies. Look at mommy and daddy. The babies with the same plumbing as mommy are girls and the babies with the same plumbing as daddy are boys.

It will probably take a few weeks before you can tell the difference between the boy and girl babies.

Thank you everyone for your good ideas and support!
Everyone is still looking healthy and good. I got a couple more pictures, their eyes are all open now.
P1010349.jpg

P1010351.jpg

P1010344.jpg

OH! They are just SO sweet looking!:inlove: Congratulations, they are precious. Looks like Momma did a great job.

Eyes are open! Now the fun begins! They'll be running all over the cage, momma won't get a moments peace! (She may enjoy some time away from the "kids", especially since they are going to be searching her out all the time now. A little time out of the cage, away from them might be appreciated, especially as they mature.)

Fortunately for momma the cage is 3 levels and the baby's can't get up to the top level >.>. she goes down to the bottom on occasion and then they chase her around, she gets annoyed and jumps back up to the top level.

I'll be adopting them out to people after they are 8 weeks old.

Gave momma her hay and dry food for the morning and the baby bunnys all hopped up onto the second level and started eating it! A couple of them also tried to wiggle under momma but she would have none of it and jumped up to the top level which they still can't get to (except for my favorite, the white one, she can hop up the cage bars somehow and get to the top level... it was like watching a magic trick haha) Everyone still looks healthy, and they are getting more and more energetic by the day.

baby.jpg

Here's a friend of mine who came by to see the bunnies, they really liked him and where crawling all over him, they seemed to really like his arms haha.
He's interested in taking one home, I told him to really think about it over the next 7 or so weeks, and do some research and if he still wants one then he can have one.

The babies can start having pellets now. Leave a dish for them on the first level. I make sure my babies have food and hay in front of them all the time. They might Momma some peace if they have their own dish and hay. :)

Latest posts

Back