help! no pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonfarm

Reaction score
We live in the middle of nowhere and our local feed place is out of pellets and no idea when the next shipment is. So, I've been feeding my rabbits rolled oats and carrots, apples, whatever safe peelings and such I can scrounge up. There also seems to be a hay shortage and I can't seem to buy a bale from anyone. I can get a bale of grassy horse hay which I guess is better than nothing.

So, is this ok short term or should I be adding something else to their diet? Any ideas for a homemade rabbit feed?

I'm not totally sure what to offer by way of advice...but wanted to let you know that I'm asking various people to lend their advice. :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

I would try to get ahold of any type of grass hay. Hay would be the biggest part of a no pellet diet. I would try to give as much hay as possible, and a wide variety of veggies.

Try to have lots dark leafy greens and try to have at least 5 different kinds of veggies per meal time.

If at all possible, get more than one kind of hay.

--Dawn

Hey there - what Dawn said is what I was going to say :)

Check this thread for some lists on safe vegetables to be feeding:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

try to stay away from too many treat foods like apples and things, but check the lists in that link for lots of vegetables you CAN feed.

Also - the hay really is important, do you what other kinds you can get?

Nadia

What kind of pellets do you use?
Maybe they can be purchased online....or maybe one of our members has some that they can send/bring to you.

The list of what you're feeding them may add on unwanted weight after a while. Apples & carrots have kind of a high sugar content.

Timothy hay would be the best hay, but a mixture would be okay.

If they're not used to a variety of veggies, start of with one kind (maybe romaine lettuce)and then add others in gradually.

JimD wrote:
If they're not used to a variety of veggies, start of with one kind (maybe romaine lettuce)and then add others in gradually.
Jim's right, take the veggie thing slowly. Leafy greens are your best start. Romaine, parsley, basil, watercress...

I'd avoid cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc) and high sugar ones (carrots) at first. Use those sparingly and only introduce one at a time. Monitor you bunns for any change in stool consistency when you're trying out new veggies.

We've got 2 rabbits who can eat about anything, but 2 others who are much more sensitive when it comes to veggies.

You can have Oxbow hay delivered to your door. It's not as good of a deal as buying locally grown hay, but it's cheaper than small bags of hay from a pet store. Ordering a 50lb bale is the most economical per pound if you can afford the large up-front payout.

-Mary Ellen

Hay, hay, and more hay. Try calling horse stables, they might have extra bales they can give you. If nothing else, grass/alfalfa mixes seem to be much more common than plain grass and a lot of the horse people by me use that.

Where in Wisconsin are you? Is there another feed store within driving distance? They'll probably have a different brand but it should be ok if you feed mainly hay and then start with just tiny amounts of the new pellets per day.

I'm in Sheboygan, if I can be of any help. I buy hay regularly from a local farmer and there are several different feed stores within driving distance for me.

Thanks for all your help and kind offers. I can get some plain horse hay, and I should be able to get some pellets in a few days, just wanted to make sure they weren't going to get sick before then. The main reason I'm worried is that I've got a doe with a 6 week old litter. They seem to be doing alright so far.

Latest posts

Back