Help new mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahbean

Reaction score
I'm a new mom and I don't know how to help my little guy out I think he maybe def and blind and I don't know how to help him and how to make him love me with out getting scared and running away can u help me

Why do you think he is deaf and blind? How old is he?

Don't stress out! The first few days/weeks, a new bunny will be scared of anything and just want to hide. He's in a big new world and doesn't know who he can trust. Just spend as much time as you can being a passive, non-threatening presence. Sit by his cage, talk to him, read to him, get him used to you and your voice. When you go to bring him food, sit back and talk to him while he eats. And when you let him out to run around the room for exercise, sit on the floor with him and let him work up the courage to come up to you. Don't chase or rush him - just let him know that you're there, you bring him food, and you are NOT going to hurt him.

Only 8 weeks if I wave my hand in front of him he won't respond and if I snap my fingers from behind him he's ears won't turn

He likely won't respond to close-up actions like that because he's too frightened to move. If you leave him alone in a quiet room and suddenly walk in, he should run and hide. If he still doesn't react and actually acts like he didn't see or hear you come in, then it's very unusual and I would take him to the vet right away.

Banana usually works well. Apple, tomato, papaya, honey, bits of bread, fresh herbs like basil or cilantro.

He won't take it if he is feeling very stressed, but treats are good to encourage him to like you when he's at the stage where he feels comfortable enough to check you out. Don't give too much though, treats are not the healthiest food for bunnies and you want to make sure he's still hungry enough to eat his hay!

Let us know how your bunny seems after a few days. :) I agree that if he seems to not see or hear - and he is scared he might just be freezing in place - not really blind or deaf. Rabbits aren't like cats or dogs, they freeze because they are pray animals.

To get him used to you, if you just sit on the floor with him and feed him his pellets by hand that works really well to tame them up.

Hm, I agree with what people have been saying about him freezing up because he's scared.
I would give him a few days, keep an eye on him just in case, and after a while he should warm up to you. :)
He's still young so everything is still new and scary!

Would love to see pictures of the little one too!

Oh my goodness he is so cute. He looks like a little ball of fluff! Adorable. :)

Back