Help needed!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

June

Reaction score
Hi all!

My bun LOVES the small handful of rabbit pellets that he gets each morning. However, this is the first morning that he hasn't even touched them! I put a piece of carrot in the bowl as a result, as he also adores carrot. So far, he hasn't eaten that either!

This has never happened before, in the 10 months I have had him. ANY suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
~June

In a rabbit, not eating or not pooping is an emergency.
Is he still active? Drinking water?
When you touch him how does his abdomen feel? A bloated rabbit will have a hard stomach, like he swallowed a basketball. This is absolutely an emergency and may require surgery right away. If his abdomen still feels soft he still warrants a vet visit.
While you call your vet you can try poking him in the face with some greens (sometimes they're annoyed enough to grab at them and then decide to eat them) or offer some critical care if you have it.

Exotic vet, immediately. A rabbit not eating is an emergency. Watch him, if he doesn't defecate and moves less than usual or sits slightly huntched, it means he is in pain and probably indicates a stomach that is too full. If your rabbit stops eating, he could die in a few days. The vet should do an x-ray to check there is no blockage. If there is none, he'll give you pain meds (Metacam), something to get the guts moving and something to provide fibers (Critical care, probably). You'll also have to feed your rabbit some water with a small syringe. In the meantime and until full recovery, it is important to massage his stomach to help the guts to move about every 4 hours or so during the day. You'll find videos showing how to do it if you google it.

Latest posts

Back