Help Needed with sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss8

Reaction score
Hi

I have 4 rabbits all Rex
I have a terrible problem at the moment which I need some advice on.
One of my Rabbits is really sick at the moment he has pneumonia.
He has been on 2 lots of antibiotics, and he is now on his 2nd lot of penacilin. The vet x-rayed him on Fri and confirmed he had pneumonia. He is still breathing really heavily nothing seems to be working. He has lost over half his body weight, I am feeding him 3 times a day on everything from Excel, to Greens, and Carrots, and even baby food which the vet advised me on, he is still eating really well. He really loves his food still.
He is normally an outdoor Rabbit, he lives with another Rabbit, they in they are like soul mates.
Since he has been ill for a month now, he has been indoors in my spare room, with my other rabbit who he lives with. So I can keep an eye on him. Is this a good idea, or should he be outside where he is use to being.
He is going to the vets everyday for his penacilin injection that must be stressing him out, being put into a carrier and being put in a car. I don't know what to do for the best. What would you guys do. I am in a awful state I am worried sick about him. He doesn't seem to be getting any better, or any worse. PLEASE HELP.

HI, I'm glad the vet is open to using penicillin, some vets aren't. What I would do is ask for a culture and sensitivity test--they try to get a sample of the bacteria from the nose, and culture it on a plate. They can then determine which antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive to.

I think it's good that you're keeping him inside. You can also try a humidifier near him. You could also ask to learn how to do penicillin injections yourself at home to make it easier on him, if you think you can do it. It's not very difficult. I think that the penicillin isn't working on these bacteria--the bacteria are probably resistant to penicillin.

Thanks I will ask my Vet tomorrow, about the sensitivity test. The vet was prepared to show us how to give him his penacillin injection. But we thought it was easier and safer if the vet did it for us. I dont want to hurt my poor little man. His name is Archie just thought I would introduce myself.
I have 4 rex rabbits, they are Archie, Coco, Wendy, and Zac. I will put some photos on the forum so you can see them.
Thanks for your reply.

Lower respiratory infections are most difficult to treat. I would ask your vet about using Chloramphenicol in this situation....and it might be benefical to use a nebulizer in order to get appropriate drugs directly into the infection. We have used diuretics in some cases with mixed results. While a culture and sensitivity would be good, it is not possible in some cases of a LRI.

And most vets don't dose penicillin properly. There are different protocols depending on the exact penicillin you are using (and there are many variations). Penicillin should also be buffered with fluids to prevent burning and sterile skin abscesses. If you do continue to use penicillin, move the injection points around to different parts of the body....sub-q can be administered anywhere you can scruff.

Randy

Latest posts

Back