Help needed for bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannemc1957

Reaction score
I am new here and have a problem..I love animals and have a big heart for those who are hurt..Here is my story...I move here over a year ago and during my walks in the morning have seen some bunnies running loose..I have talked to them as I pass by them.They are wild and could not get close to them..I found out they where someones Easter bunnies that someone has thrown out..well I noticed 2 days ago that one was hurt.. think it got hit by a car...He was hopping on three legs and trying to use the other but couldn't..Well I found something to pick him up with and put him in some bushes thinking he would be safe.. well the more I thought about it during the day I couldn't stand to think of him out there so I went and dug through the bushes and poison ivy to get him...I brought him home knowing my DH would be so mad...I called a vet school and have called 2 vets here and no one will see it..One vet out of town would see him but want so much money and I just can't afford it...I have rescued and have 3 cats that I have sent a lot of money on...what do I need to do...someone is going to gave me a cage..He is eating good and using the bathroom..I put a towel now for him to sleep one and last night there seem to be some blood on it where he pee peed.
He is scared and being wild I can't pick him up and look under him to see where the blood is coming from...He doesn't seem to be hurting and like I said eating like a pig! Any advice??? Please?

You could attempt to contact a humane society or a rescue; I would check into them first. Some rescues do not take rabbits and/or euthanize if the animal is injured so you want to avoid that.

It was the right thing to take this rabbit in. These rabbits probably have become feral from being outside but they were not bred to live like wild animals.
If his leg is injured you want to keep him from moving around so a cage that is smaller is best for the rabbit to heal. Give him a bowl of fresh water or a water bottle, fresh grass hayor timothy hay and some plain rabbit pellets. Don't give him a free access to all the pellets that he wants because it could be too much for his system if he has not had enough food recently. You can also give some fresh grass from outside because he most likely has been living off the land and you want to change his diet slowly.

You really do need to see a vet and I am unsure as to why the vets close to you won't see him; did you explain that he is a domestic rabbit that was disposed off?

Maybe you could work out a payment plan with the vet that would see him. I believe that some vets have a plan called Care Credit in which you pay a certain amount monthly instead of paying all at once.
I would continue to try calling vets that you have not contacted. some vets do not see rabbits because they are considered an exotic pet but most vets could take a look at an injured leg

The"blood" could be his urine. if it is an orange-red color it most likely is his urine ; it is natural for rabbits to have an orange red pigment to their urine at certain time. Blood would be bright red and really look like blood or dark red if dried without the orange color
if it is blood it could be from the injury; if he was attacked by another animal it really is imperative to get him to a vet who can administer strong antibiotics.

I have had rabbits for many years and they are my passion.
My first rabbit was rescued by me in a simlar situation except that she was not injured. She had been dumped in a park in Chicago in late winter and had been living outside for weeks. She allowed me to pick her up and bring her to my apartment. I intended to give her to House rabbit Society of Ill but within several days I loved her so much that i kept her. I knew nothing at all about rabbits. That was about 20 yrs ago LOL

I hope that you decide to keep her but if You cannot I will attempt to help you find other options.

The humane society was the first I called asking for help to get the bunny out of the bushes but they wouldn't...and they would probably put it to sleep if I take it there like it is..I just moved it outside on my screen porch. He is in a cage and I covered the cage with a sheet so he wouldn't feel so out in the open...Thought some fresh air would do some good..don't know if it is going to be too hot out there..but this rabbit has been use to outside..in freezing cold and 100 degree in the summer..guess he will be ok? He or she is pulling his leg up under him some this morning..I do hope he gets better and so I can find him a new home!
My cats I don't think well be to happy with this new addition.!:big wink:

You need to watch the outside temperature--85 degrees can be fatal to a rabbit in a hutch. They burrow underground and have fairly constant temp in the Summer that is lower than the air temp and the same with Winter with their burrow usually warmer than the outside temp.

It is on the screen porch which is covered and has 2 ceiling fans..This bunny has lived out side for a couple and I have seen it laying under cars when it was 90 degrees or hotter..it is in a cage with no sides and just a sheet over it to make home feel he is safe..so if it get 80 or higher out there I need to out him somewhere else..?? I just don't know where I am going to put him if he can't stay out there..he is never in direct sunlight on the porch..I will get a temp gage and put out there and keep up with it..Thanks I am new at this!!

You can always try puting some things in her cage that would assist in cooling him. Frozen 2 liter bottle, place a large granite or marble slab in the freezer and place in cage for him to lay on. Looks like we have the feeding and watering covered in the above reply.

Sounds like a lucky bunny for you helping her.

Back