help, my rabbit is seizing!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muchloveforbunny

Reaction score
once again, a rabbit of mine is sick during the weekend. NO ONE is returning my calls. I'm so scared. the rabbit is being destructive and seizing everywhere. his head is tilting. he is ramming his head in the wall. i put him in a crate. he is hitting his head on the metal.

this is so sad. no one is helping me at all !!!!! i have no idea how to keep him safe or what to do. he's a nice bunny.

Keep him in a small box or crate with towels to limit his movement. Is he actually seizing or is his head tilted and he can't keep his balance?

Until you are able to get him to a vet, you can carefully syringe or spoon some water into his mouth. Keep him calm and warm.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Keep him in a small box or crate with towels to limit his movement. Is he actually seizing or is his head tilted and he can't keep his balance?

Until you are able to get him to a vet, you can carefully syringe or spoon some water into his mouth. Keep him calm and warm.

Pam

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for your response.

Before placing him in the crate, he ran to the corner and hid his head. His neck is twisting. When I got him out of the corner, heran confusedly in circles, hitting the walls, the cage bars. Then he would go on my skirt and hide his head. He did this a couple of time.

WhenI gave him water and food before I knew what was wrong, he ran right into the bowls.

I called several vets. One vet said she would see him, but admittedly knows nothing about rabbits. She knows nothing at all. She could really just see the rabbit, but couldn't give it anything or do anything.

Should I wait until 8 in the morning? What do you think? Will he be okay?

Right now he is laying on his side with his head smooshed on the ground. His nose is poking out of the cage. He keeps pressing his nose in the cage. I'm afraid he's going to get stuck.

I've never seen this before. I'm very scared.

This is so tragic. He is a bunny with such a remarkably wonderful personality. :tears2:

In your experience, do you think its likely I'll have to put him down? I hope i can do something. I'm so sad. :tears2:

I'm so furious!! one lady at a vet said this is why i should have a regular relationship with my vet. i had a vet for my last rabbit. they didn't have emergency care. i have a new vet because my last rabbit died, and now their emergency care is not available. the vet is not there!! he wont pick up his cell. im so furious and sad :(

If the poor little guy has head tilt, he's probably more comfortable laying on his side. Is he alert? He's probably panicking because he doesn't know what's happening, either, and is frightened and confused.

As Pam said, important to keep him warm and calm..They can pick up on your emotions, so try and be calm and soothing around him, too.

This could be anything from a minor ear infection to E. cuniculi to a neurological issue and everything in between.It may just be something that a regiment of Baytril will help, or hemay be permanently tilted, which some bunnies can handle, and some can't.

You may have to help him with his balance issues, maybe even to the point of holding him when he eats and drinks, and keep him from walking into things and running in circles. He'll need soft bumpers, again as Pam noted, like towels, to protect him until you can figure out what's causing the problem.

Here's the Resource Center links:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11840&forum_id=10

Good luck... :clover::pray:

sas

please, i have another bunny. will my other bunny get sick too? im so upset. i cant believe this happened. i really loved this bunny a lot. he was so sweet. i never saw a bunny that sweet.

i dont know what happened. all of a sudden he ran confusedly this way and that. i dont know.

i sure hope he didnt pick up on my emotions. i was crying. i hope my crying didnt make it worse. he was just 6 weeks old. honestly, i think he was so out of it. i dont think he knew what was going on.

the vet said he was healthy but underweight. i wonder if something was wrong with him? the other bunny is very plump. i should go comfort her.i hope she wont die too. this is awful. this whole day. it was such a nice day and now this. my older rabbit died about a month ago. i just cant take it.

muchloveforbunny wrote:
please, i have another bunny. will my other bunny get sick too? im so upset. i cant believe this happened. i really loved this bunny a lot. he was so sweet. i never saw a bunny that sweet.

i dont know what happened. all of a sudden he ran confusedly this way and that. i dont know.

i sure hope he didnt pick up on my emotions. i was crying. i hope my crying didnt make it worse. he was just 6 weeks old. honestly, i think he was so out of it. i dont think he knew what was going on.

the vet said he was healthy but underweight. i wonder if something waswrong with him? the other bunny is very plump. i should go comfort her.i hope she wont die too. this is awful. this whole day. it was such a nice day and now this. my older rabbit died about a month ago. i just cant take it.
Poor little guy. :( And yes, he was obviously very sick and was panicked enough on his own that he probably wasn't even aware of your emotions.

Hopefully Pam will chime in with better info, but I think getting the other bunny tested for E. cuniculi would be a good idea,althoughI haven't checked the Resource Center files to see what is or isn't contagious.

Was he pooping, peeing andeatingnormally before this happened?

So sorryyou lost him. It's a heart-breaker. :tears2:

sas :sad:

Pipp wrote:
Was he pooping, peeing andeatingnormally before this happened?

yes, poop and pee were normal. he ate a lot. actually, we were thinking how much they were like little piggies. he alsolooks so healthy. completely unexpected, except for the fact the vet told me he was underweight and to stop feeding him timothy hay. she said that alfalfa hay would make him put on weight. but that was about it.

i dont know what to do with my other rabbit. if she had e. cuniclui (sp?)can she be treated? should i go to the pet store right now and buy a clean cage?

I am so sorry :( You can use disinfectant to clean the cage -- once it's dry, it is safe for rabbits.

Consider having the vet do a necropsy to try to determine the cause of death so you'll know if this is something that may be communicable. "Wry neck aka head tilt" is often caused by an inner ear infection. The parasite E cuniculi is often associated with this condition, but it is not know if the parasite is a cause, or a secondary infection that sets in when the rabbit's immune system is weak.

It is also possible that your rabbit suffered an injury. The actual cause of death may have been due to stress rather than what caused the head tilt.

Hard to venture a guess on what is going on without a vet actually taking a look.

My thoughts are with you -- I know this is a heartbreaking loss for you.

Pam

awww i am sooo sorry you had to see your bunny go through something like that,i would have been so scared and a total mess if it was one of my buns,i just couldn't imagine what you went through with your little boy,and especially so soon after losing another bunny:(

:bigtears:

goodbye our little friend, your mummy will always love you:(

cheryl

I'm so sorry. :sad:

I second the necropsy if you want to know what happened. I didn't know that standard cases of head tilt could progress that quickly. Is it possible that he ate something that he shouldn't have? Or bit through a wire? That would explain the seizures and head tilt can be caused by trauma to the nerves.

It would probably be a good idea to have your other bunny checked by a vet. If nothing else, it will give you some peace of mind.

Binky free, little guy.:(

I don't know much about what was wrong but I just wanted to say how sorry I am. I know you lost another bun recently and it is a terrible thing to have it happen again so soon. I hope you are ok and I so hope your other bunny doesn't get sick. Hugs

Katy x

hi thank you for your notes yesterday and today.i do appreciate them a lot. i felt so helpless yesterday, that just at least connecting here made me feel better. thank you.

i just wanted to update. i brought the bunny to the vet for a necropsy this morning. and i made an appt for my other bun for Monday. i will update on Monday when i find out what happened.

naturestee, i don't think he chewed a wire. he didn't have access to wires. you're right though. i was kind of thinking maybe it was the hay,but im not sure.i put this new hay away in the meantime.

will update Monday. thanks again:rose:

Aw honey, I know what your going through I lost Flopsy four weeks ago. He was very loved and now has no pain. I'm so sorry for your loss.You'll meet again someday.

[align=center]:rainbow::runningrabbit::rainbow:
Binkie Free Bunny

[/align][align=left]-Ashley :rose:& Flopsy :bunnyangel: & Fluffy :apollo:
[/align]

Latest posts

Back