Help! My bunny is attacking me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadensierra

Reaction score
My Netherland dwarf bunny Satine has recently begun attacking me and biting me, and also attacking my other bunnies. Today she got into a huge fight with her fellow roommate and tore out a bunch of her fur. When I stepped in to stop the problem Satine reared up and bit me several times on my finger. One of the cuts almost needed stitches…it was bad. This is the second time this week that sateen has attacked me, she has never in the past attacked me before. Does anyone know what could be going on?
I have many bunnies, all of which ever since an extremely young age. My Satine has never been aggressive. She’s always had attitude but she’s never been an aggressive bunny. I recently moved them from my house to my boyfriends house where I am living now my boyfriend is extremely kind to the bunnies and has never hurt them and never will so I know this is not the reason why she’s acting this way.

Attachments

• 40C2F3D0-CB7F-45D9-8B9F-944BCEDB4462.jpeg
    40C2F3D0-CB7F-45D9-8B9F-944BCEDB4462.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 0
Has your bunny been spayed yet? You said you have many bunnies from an extremely young age so my guess is she has gotten old enough for her hormones to kick in, coupled with moving house, and assuming your other buns are also with you she has become very territorial and aggressive.

If all your bunnies are unspayed and unneutered, you need to separate them all especially since it may result in unwanted pregnancies or escalating fights and injuries. They will most likely all need to be fixed or they may not be able to bond in the future.

First off, your rabbit needs to be immediately separated from the other rabbits, and kept separated for now. Then all bunnies need to be very carefully checked over for injuries and any injuries need to be properly treated. Any deep wounds need to be assessed by an experienced rabbit vet. If in doubt, have your rabbit checked by the vet. You don't want any of your rabbits to end up developing an infection or abscess.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
When a rabbit inadvertently redirects an attack from the rabbit it's trying to get to, it's called referred aggression. All they're thinking in the moment is attack, and not that it's your hand in the way. And a rabbit in full out attack mode can cause significant damage to you, or to the other rabbits. They can latch on and tear flesh. Rabbits can even cause fatal injuries to one another. So separation, possibly even permanently, is absolutely essential.

Like Moonshadow mentioned, are all of your rabbits spayed/neutered? Also, how were they bonded together(any sort of bonding process), how long have they all been together, and how old are they? How long has it been since you moved them to the new place and did you do any sort of area transition with them with the move, to minimize these kind of issues that occur with changing a rabbits territory? Like reducing space and gradually expanding it once they have all settled in and seem ok? Or having things in their new space that have they're scent on it(eg. litter box, toys, beds, etc)?

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

You will need to seperate satine and do an assessment on the buns.
I too feel this is hormonal.

Keep her seperate from the others and try just sitting with her allow her to come sit with and on you but don't force her and see if this helps at all.
Something isn't right for her.. and I do hope she will come around soon.

Latest posts

Back