help my bunny has had 2 surprise litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnygrandma

Reaction score
My female (who the pet store told me was a male, and I put her in the cage with the male - unbeknownst to me she was a female) had a litter a month ago. the are all doing wonderfully and I have amazing homes for all, but she had a another litter two days ago... since then the second litter has all passed. I had separated the first litter immediately and placed them in a cage next to hers. My question is, can i put the first litter back in with her without her harming them. I feel awful for separating them. The father has been separated from her since the day i found the first surprise. I just do not want her to attack the first litter.. Any help would be appreciated...

I'm not a breeder so I'm not 100% sure, but I would think it would be ok. If they've only been separated a short time, and been living next to each other, it should be alright. If you do, maybe try reintroducing just one baby and keep a close eye and it everything looks ok, bring the rest back in too. Most rabbits are very good at fostering other doe's kits, so I should think it would be ok.

She should accept them back as it's only been a day or two they still need mum's milk as they're only four weeks, you really shouldn't of separated them to begin with.

I'm editing my post because I must have missed that the new litter passed away. I agree with azerane. Introduce one and see how it goes. I have a doe that went to a show with me(her babies didnt weigh enough to come as well) and two babies from the doe under her cage. I put them on a table together at the show and momma Dana started grooming the babies. It all depends on how mom acts but you could certainly try reintroducing. Just keep a sharp eye out for any fighting and separate the troublemakers

Last edited:
Yes, I'd try putting them back with her. If she doesn't accept them, you will need some critical care to feed them for the nest two weeks, then Calf Mana to give the each 1 TSP per feeding (twice a day) with normal pellets for another 2-3 weeks. They need the supplemental nutrition to grow properly if they must be weaned this young.

Also by 12 weeks of age, you will wnat to separate the does and each buck, they can sometimes breed that young and, the bucks will fight with each other at 12 to 16 weeks.

Latest posts

Back