Help! My bunny has a cyst!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southernk4

Reaction score
Hey! I have a fancy rex and I have had her since Jan. Well two weeks ago I noticed a a pink sack hanging right beside her genital area and I freaked! Well I have been keeping an eye on it and it had been shrinking but today I noticed it was twice the size!! She eats and plays fine but she is urinating more than usual, can anyone help me out she is such a good bunny and I love her so much!! :cry2

Keri

I haven't taken her to vet yet but I called them and told them what was going on and they said it will be $50+ just to see her. I stopped by a pet clinic and nobody knew anything about rabbits.

Gender fairy....sounds like a boy. Males can retract the "boys" which will make the testicles appear to grow and then shrink...and they can retract to the point that they appear to be female. My concern here is you say that only one is down. Since you have had this rabbit since January....both testicles should have dropped. If there is only one there, a visit to a rabbit savvy vet is in order. In a small number of males, one or both of the testicles might not drop into the scrotum....a condition known as a "cryptorchid testicle". I often joke with vets thatthey should do a neuter and a spay for this condition. And we have had a hemaphrodite....genetically femalebut with smallmalformed male parts.But most likely you have been visited by the "gender fairy" and you have a male rabbit.

If you could post your general location in your profile, some of us might be able to help you find a rabbit vet.

Randy

wow then that's a really big testicle. the girl at the pet store looked for me when I bought macy and said she was a girl. and it is too far to the side to be a testicle. i love in new bern,nc so if anyone knows of a rabbit vet let me know. thanks for everyone's help!!

Hi,

How far would you be willing to travel? I live in Rocky Mount which is a bit less than 2 hours from you. I don't know of any vets in the New Bern/Greenville/Kinston area that I feel are rabbit savvy. I haven't seen anything special from the work I have seen.....not saying there isn't a skilled vet that I don't know in that area. The only vet that I have heard/seen anything really positive about is in Goldsboro and I don't know him personally but he followed up on a leg fracture that I treated for a local vet. If it comes down to it.....maybe we can work out something to meet somewhere in-between and I can look at your rabbit....but that may take some work since I am full with baby wildlife at this point....but maybe. Let me know.

Randy

angieluv wrote:
I think that what you are looking at is one testicle.
Is it possible that your rabbit is a boy and not a girl
That's EXACTLY what came to mind when I read her post.

southernk4 wrote:
wow then that's a really big testicle. the girl at the pet store looked for me when I bought macy and said she was a girl. and it is too far to the side to be a testicle. i love in new bern,nc so if anyone knows of a rabbit vet let me know. thanks for everyone's help!!

Can you get a photo? Boy bunnies sometimes do have large testicles...... and they are off to the side.

How did the girl at the store check? Did she actually know how to sex them cause I got my Tony from an ARBA judge/breeder and Tony was Heidi for a few months before the "gender fairy" paid a visit.

AND ..... what is a "fancy" rex? who called it that? there are Rex and Mini-rex.

Here's a photo of Tony - you can see the pink skin around his vent that is his testicle. It's not the best but he's laying back here..... think about when they are "free to dangle" LOL!

TonyPrives.jpg

OMG! It is a boy!! My rabbits private area looks just like the one in that picture!! I thought I had a girl this whole time...haha I am so glad becuase I was so worried and I have been crying so I am so glad that you guys helped me out!! Thanks!!

Well he comes to Macy when I call him so i think I am just going to keep the name and if anybody ask I'll just say that's the name I wanted. My whole family is getting a kick out of this! I am just so relieved that I know "he" is ok, we have been feeding him parsley and putting vitamin c in his water thinking he was sick and we were trying to do everything to make him better. I really do appreciate everyones help and the picture to know what I was seeing.

Awwwwwwww! LOL! Yep, congrats! it's a boy! The Gender Fairy Struck again!

I'm so glad it was only that and not a serious problem tho! Thanks for letting us know too! I've been worried about her........errrrrr....... HIM!

Yep, it's very common. I think the best example is a bunny named Sophie that's a boy and is very old (like 12 or 13+). :laugh:

Latest posts

Back