Help! Mr. Bunny's tooth has grown out!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contessa63

Reaction score
Help! My bunny's tooth has grown out of hismouth. I always give him things to chew on but he will not usethem.:(What is done in this case? I will bring him to thevettonight.Will they put him out? What will need to be done?

The vet will have to clip his teeth - they justcut them. He probably has malocclusion which is when theteeth don't line up. His teeth may need to be clipped on aregular basis. There are some people on the forum that clipthem theirselves. Is he eating properly otherwise?

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/malocclusion.htm#intro

_________
Nadia

That is brave of you to own a rabbit with malocclusion--I hope you may get him to a vet soon!

My question: It costs a fortune to get teeth trimmed at aveterinarian's office... is it at all safe for the parent of a rabbitwith malocclusion to learn how to trim the teeth?

bunnyface wrote:
That is brave of you to own a rabbit with malocclusion--Ihope you may get him to a vet soon!

My question: It costs a fortune to get teeth trimmed at aveterinarian's office... is it at all safe for the parent of a rabbitwith malocclusion to learn how to trim the teeth?

Yes, it's safe if done right - there is a post on here with step bystep photos how to do it, I'll see if I can find it. It was agreat post!

_________
Naida

The incisors can be easily trimmed by the owner(the vet can show you how). Molars have to be done at thevets office due to the small size of the rabbit's mouth.

It is also an option to have the incisors surgically removed so they will not have to be trimmed once a month.

Pam

Awesome! If I ever look for another bun to go with twitcher, I'll not be afraid of bad teeth...

Better someone knowledgeable than someone who would just let them grow out, eh?

They can still eat pellets normally if theincisors are removed. Rabbits that have theirmolars removed would have to be put on a softer food.

Pam

bunnyface wrote:
That is brave of you to own a rabbit with malocclusion--I hope you may get him to a vet soon!

My bun Gunner has malocclusion too (probably why no one wanted him,which is their loss, he's so awesome!). Our vet uses a Dremmel to sawoff the excess tooth. He charges us $8 to do it, and we take him inabout once a month. This seems inexpensive to me, do some other vetscharge more?

Since you can trim incisors at home, no youdon't have to put them under. As such, I'd ask your vet specificallyabout the cost knowing they can be awake for it.

Right. And I realize that this is no hamsterforum, but I am thinking about trimming bungles... any advice? Do youguys think I should treat it the same way?

Latest posts

Back