Help me this is a nightmare

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 6 rabbits, one bonded pair, in one roomin my house..separated by x-pens and dog fences. This morning I foundmy 6 yr old mini-lop babette (never sick a day in her life) sneezingand coughing clear liquid and breathing harder. I took her to a vet butnot my regular as I can't get someone on Sat. He gave me IM Baytril,said that I could separate all of them but they were already exposed.When I got home I heard Willow cough. Now maybe it was nothing becauseshe was chewing on a wicker basket and may have just sort of choked.She seem OK now but babette is making all kinds of sounds. What can Ido with all of them to prevent this from spreading. I have a rescuebunny in another room and am thinking she is a carrier of something. Iam afraid I am going to have a whole room ful of sick rabbits and nofunds to treat them. What do the rabbititries do? Help me

I would think you should separate Babette for now, just in case.

My Max has an infection and he has yet to give it to Basil (I know Ishould separate but Max seems so much better when his buddy is around).

Try to stay calm. It could just be allergies if the discharge is clear.I would just keep her in another room for now and wash your hands aftertouching her, just to be sure.

I'll be praying for your babies.

Haley

I'm going to separate her but not from beau ashe can't exist without her and has already been exposed the most. Can Ido something like use a humidifier to help her breathe. I know that sheis going to die as I just know it Help

Max has an upper respiratory infection as well.Hes wheezing very heavily and nose is running with clear discharge. Heson an antibiotic as well. Hes also on benadryl bc the vet thinks itallergy related.

I just ran out and bought a vicks vaporizer. It was only 10 bucks and Ibought the Vicks liquid that you can put into it that has menthol andeucalyptus. I would try that if I were you.

Praying for your babies

Haley...I didn't know that Max was sick. I havehad rabbits for about 10 yrs and have never dealt with a respiratoryinfection before. I will try a vaporizer. I just kind of assumed thatthese kind of problems don't resolve easily but i have never dealt withit. thanks

angieluv wrote:
I'm going to separate her but not from beau as he can'texist without her and has already been exposed the most. Can I dosomething like use a humidifier to help her breathe. I know that she isgoing to die as I just know it Help

Not a humidifier - Use a vaporizer with Vicksin the med chamber.

Was the vet certain that the illness is viral related and not congestive heart failure?

Pam

She is better today but i still can hear herbreathing ..but much better than yesterday. I listened to Beau'sheartbeat which was fastnormal but sounded like a hearbeat but when Itry to listen to Babette's I hear a sort of rasp on every breath. Ireally think that she is better today ,Haley , read the other post oninfirmary..the vaporizer helped her.

angieluv wrote:
No the exam was quick..are you thinking of pulmonaryedema?could I listen to her heart myself and determine anything.

Yes, this would cause similar symptoms to pneumonia.

Pam

angieluv wrote:
She is better today but i still can hear her breathing ..butmuch better than yesterday. I listened to Beau's heartbeat which wasfastnormal but sounded like a hearbeat but when I try to listen toBabette's I hear a sort of rasp on every breath. I really think thatshe is better today ,Haley , read the other post on infirmary..thevaporizer helped her.
It sounds like Babette may have pneumonia - my Jasper had the same kindof raspy, wheezing breath that came on suddenly. After an emergency runto an all-night clinic she wasgiven an x-ray which confirmedthe diagnosis. Then she was put in an oxygen tent overnight, and hashad a full recovery after IV antibiotics, Baytril by mouth,andTLC.

Even if Babette seems to be doing better, I would take her tothevet ASAP- along with Beau - and express your concernsabout your new rescue bun.From what little I know fromexperience, it may benefit them (and the others) to run a course ofBaytril all-around.

I wish the best for you - keep us posted...

I did take her to the vet on Sat. but theydidn'y do x-rays. How long before your bun ny's breathing returned tototally normal? I can only hear her breathing now when I hear the raspysound when I listen with the sthescope.I compare it with Beau'sbreathing which is silent. I know I will have her back to thevetif her breathing doesn't return to 100%. I would like totreat the whole house as a preventative measure but I can't afford itas I have 6 rabbits plus the shelter bun...maybe I could get the medsfor each but I couldn't afford to bring them all in ..unless one of thevets took pity on me and I doubt that wil occur.

angieluv wrote:
I did take her to the vet on Sat. but they didn'y do x-rays.How long before your bun ny's breathing returned to totally normal? Ican only hear her breathing now when I hear the raspy sound when Ilisten with the sthescope.I compare it with Beau's breathing which issilent. I know I will have her back to the vetif herbreathing doesn't return to 100%. I would like to treat the whole houseas a preventative measure but I can't afford it as I have 6 rabbitsplus the shelter bun...maybe I could get the meds for each but Icouldn't afford to bring them all in ..unless one of the vets took pityon me and I doubt that wil occur.
I'm so sorry, angieluv. Is Babette still on Baytril? That's usually aone-week course. If the other bunnies don't seem to be affected, that'sdefinitely a good thing. It might not be necessary to treat the wholehouse if Beau and the other rabbits seem OK. Some rabbits are moresusceptible to infection than others. How soon after the shelter bunarrived did Babette start getting symptoms?

I can totally understand the financial problems with a pet, too. It'seasy to advise someone to go to the vet, but it's not always animmediate option. I would appeal to a vet's sense of empathy - beingthat they should love animals to be in their profession in the firstplace.

I wish I could be of more help. I would be entirely willing to speak with your vet, though - just let me know.

Thanks for your support. I havehadtemendous financial cost from vets within the past month.Babette's bonded mate had 4 cheek teeth pulled..$750.00...my two ratsare sick... $103.00, and Babette so far around 110.00. They charged meas an emergency on Sat. (which it was). She is my oldest bunny and Ihave had her since she fit in the palm of my hand. I will treat her aslong as she doesn't have something like cancer (went through that acouple months ago with jacques who was PTS). She is getting IM Baytiland I plan to keep her on it for 2 weeks unless she drasticallyimproves. She is very relaxed right now and I want to give her sometime to recover on her own before taking her out again. She went on along trip about a month ago when Beau had his teeth pulled and the tripmay have been too hard on her. I wish I didn't have the nagging feelingabout the shelter bun....Babette did get sick shortly after I broughther here but they were never in the same room and the others seem fine.The shelter bun Coco is a mini-lop that looks like Babette a little,she was surrendered with her 5 ..10 week old babies. The little onesare already adopted and Coco is going to Petco on Wed. I keep themafter a spay/neuter. Coco has no symptoms other than her poop has adifferentodor than my other buns..guess that makes mesuspicious. Anyway I hope that babette recovers as I so wanted her tolive longer than 6 yrs and if she dies Beau will never make it withouther. Sad situation. Have to think more positively

You poor thing:(. If it's ofany comfort to you, I think you've been taking the right steps allalong: it's best to keep a bonded pair together when one goes in for asurgical procedure (in this case, keeping Babette with Beau when he hadhis teeth extracted). I also suspect that Coco isn’t the cause ofBabette’s problems – you have her in another room, and none of yourother bunnies have gotten sick. She may have different smelling poopbecause of the intestinal flora from her old diet. The smell could lasta while even after changing to your rabbits’ diet.

The one thing that bothers me is the amount your vet charged for Beau’stooth extraction. $750? My Jasper, who is 6, just had three uppermolars extracted last month, and it cost a little over $100 withanesthesia, medications, etc. It also sounds like your vet is somedistance from you? Is he/she an “exotics” vet, or primarily a dog/catvet? They tend to charge more for exotics, from my experience.

If you take in rescues and you give your vet that much business, Ithink it would be reasonable to expect some kind of break occasionally.I wonder what other forum members have to say…

Sending my best wishes your way.

Wow..100 dollars for 3 teeth?! Your vet is cheap.

Mine cost 400 for a front inscisor/abscess extractions. That was one tooth!

Angieluv, just for future reference, a lot of vets will give you aprescription to order baytril or other meds right from the supplier. Ifsomething ever happens where all the bunnies get sick, if one isdiagnosed a lot of times you can ask for meds for all of them. A lot ofsheltes and breeders do this to cut costs.

I really hope she fully recovers. Im keeping her in my prayers.

I am In La Crosse Wi. and there is not really a"real" rabbit vet here..I alternate between 4 of them because some ofthem are better at one thing , some at another..I think if I had arabbit with an abscess or something that not one of them would knowanything about antibiotic beads etc. They know basic fundamental rabbit101..not much more (I sound like a snob) The vet that took out Beau'steeth was 3 hrs from here near Madison Wi. and is an animaldentist..not really just a vet. I think thats why the cost was so high.Haley...I didn't know about getting drugs from the manufacturer..thatsa relief..no one else here is sick and Babette is status quo or maybeslightly better. I was supposed to go back to Madison on Nov 1 to havea recheck on Beau's mouth but you know I'm going to cancel it for nowas I'm too wiped out to make that trip and Beau would have to gowithout Babette. If Iwas a rabbit I would get pasturella right nowbecause I feel so stressed out. ....O h one more thing I take in humanesociety bunnies after they are altered and until they go to Petco to beadopted but I don't get any breaks because the shelter and Petco payfor the altering. There is a lot of stress at the humane society rightnow because the city wants to give the job of animal control to thepolice which would be a tragedy. Animal control picks up wild-life andalso all strays, feral cats, stray dogs ,cats rabbits. The policewouldn't have a clue how to do it correctly.

Latest posts

Back