Help Me!!!-RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:(My Name Is Jordan I Have a 2 and a half year old rabbit and i got him from my friend just over 2 months now he was badly treated and had mass's of furr loss as i found out he had mites he also had diaria but the owners told me i was feeding him too many carrots which is wrong because i have not given him carrots. He still has diaria he does not have mites now as they have been treated and he has lovely thick shiny thurr. I read in my rabbit book about diaria and it said it could be a desease called Coccidiosis the symptoms sounding like my rabbit because at his old home he was not cleaned out proply and he had lots of furr loss and bad diaria. In my book it also says that they don;t last for longer than a year. I dont want this to happen please could you help me because my mum won't let me ring the vet because she wont pay the vet bill will someone give me any advice at all! I dont knwo for sure if my rabbit has that desease but im just worried.... Jordan xxxx

A mod will move this to the infirmary so that you can get more help. Don't panick, we'll help you out.:hug:

Do you mind answering some questions to help us out a little better?

1) What has your bun been eating? (mention regular food and treats)

2) When did it start? Did it stop at all?

3) Are you 100% sure it is diarrhea? Is it soft or liquid?

4) What did you ise to treat the mites?

5) Is your bun moving around? is he his normal self? playful, etc.

Great questions from MsBinky.

Please let us know everything he has been eating since you've gotten him. IS he tired a lot - just laying there and not moving?

Do you have a vet that specializes in rabbits?

I feed him on rabbit deluxe food before i got him he ate plain pellets. he always has hay which he had non of before i got him. I feed him some rabbiit chocolate drops a few a week so that he dnt eat too many of them. I haven't fed him carrots since the first week i got him because i thought that was the thing that was causing the diaria. I got the mite spray from pets at home not sure wat it called as i dnt have the bottle anymore. I used a disinfectant spray for the cage which i cleaned out every 2 ays and i knw still do clean out every 2 days because he gets so messy with his diaria. He has had it since i hav had him dont know how long he has had it because every time i asked the owners they deny tht he had mites and diaria before he came to me. It stopped about 2 weeks ago for about a week then came straight bk again. He's a happy bunni.. when i first got him he was agresive but don;t blame him from the way he was treated. h did gash my finger a few times when i wen to stroke him now hes a happy buni and jumps on my lap for a cuddle every now and then. He is play ful loves his green n blue ball i bought him. Heeats very well. drinks alot aswell. Andeats his vitamin B poop aswell lol ... Hedeoes have normal poo. buthe does have diaria becaause i seen it wehen it had just come out once and it was quit long and little bit liquidy and very mushy cos then later he will stand in it. Other than the diaria he is a very happy healthy bunni. I think thats bout all i cn member that you asked xxxx

P.S. Sorry i took so long replying xxxx

Ok, so he has normal, hard round poops as well as mushy diarrhea? And you switched him from plain pellets to "deluxe" food- does that have anything other than pellets in it? If it does, that's the problem. All those deluxe extras are treats that can easily upset a rabbit's stomach and cause diarrhea. Plain pellets are much more healthy. Switch back to plain pellets, preferably a brand that has less than 15% protein (because he's an adult that already has food issues causing diarrhea) and as much fiber as possible. 18% + is best but I know that can be hard to find in the UK. Remember to switch pellets slowly by mixing them in with the old stuff, although do the bun a favor and sort out all the junky treats and throw them away.

Eliminate all treats, including chocolate drops (they sound incredibly unhealthy) and the carrots for now as those are a bit sugary. Limit his pellets, make sure he eats lots of grass hay, and don't feed him anything new for now except for the plain pellets that you switch him to.

This should help a lot, although it will take some time. If after a week or so of no treats whatsoever you don't see any improvement, take him to a rabbit-savvy vet (not all are) along with a poop sample. The vet can test for coccidia and for worms, all of which can be treated with prescription medications.

Alrighty, first - can you post in seperate paragraphs? That will make it easier to read - cause it is really hard with so many sentences in a lump. :)

Hopefully someone from the UK can chime in here - the Rabbit Deluxe food - is that the one with all the treats and seeds in it? If it is, you need to go back to feeding him a regular Timothy based pellet and not one with all the treats in it - the treats are not good for him - like feeding him candy all day.

Also - you say he has regular poops as well as the diarreah. That sounds like he's having issues with his cecal poops. That could be due to the food, and due to the chocolate drops (you really need to stop giving him those as well... rabbits don't live on chocolate in the wild, and they shouldn't have it in our homes either... it can also be mildly toxic - I had a rabbit almost die from eating chocolate accidentally). For a treat once in a while you can give him a small piece of fruit, but no chocolate.

Is it possible for you to look up what the mite spray was?

I would stop giving him the chocolate and switch him to a better pellet - that might be the cause of the diarreah.

Also, if you can take him to a vet, you should because I am concerned he would be getting dehydrated from having mushy poops for such a long time. Like you sid, it could be something more serious like coccidia and the only realy way to know if to take him to a vet that specializes in rabbits (make sure you ask if they specialize in rabbits when you get a vet).

Nadia

Edit: Posting at the same time as Naturestee - who has great advice as usual. :D

Hmmm sounds like your bunny has has quite a lot of adjusting to do...

First of all, i agree, that food does not sound good. I know plain pellet may look boring and unhealthy but it's actually the way to go. The fancy mixes are unhealthy and loaded with things your bun really doesn't need.

Second of all, you haven't had your bun for very long and therefore he has gone through the stress of unfamiliar surroundings etc. The food change in itself is a bit stressful for some and might have caused a stomach upset. I'm guessing once he finished one bag you switched him over to the other kind? All that might have contributed in his upset.

Third, get rid of the chocolate. It's terribly unhealthy and even unsafe. Chocolate is a no-no that really isn't required. You should stick to much healthier choices such as fresh fruit and veggiesand only in small quantities.

I suggest going back to basics for a few weeks. Meaning, get your bun on a good healthy timothy pellet, and lots lots of good quality Timothy hay. You can pop in a bit of alfalfa in there as a treat if you want.Give him some fresh greens such as carrot tops (really inexpensive), romaine lettuce and parsley.Other than that, plenty of fresh water. Give him a few weeks to adjust to all that and to recover from the stomach upsets, etc.

Then, slowly, you can start introducing the treats. you can start with a small piece of apple. See how his system reacts to it. Some bunnies are more sensitive and react to different foods differently.

I really do think that all the stress from moving, being mistreated, and having mites contributed to it. Keep an eye on him and make sure he is drinking enough. Try to let him out to play as much as you can as that will destress him and get him to trust you.

You can also boil some rice and give him a little rice water to help firm up his stools. But not too much.

Let us know how it goes :)

Nadia made a good point about him possibly being dehydrated as well from the diahrrea and I know you said you cant get him to a vet. So, as others have mentioned, get him on a good pellet with no treats and give him lots and lots of timothy hay (as much as he will eat-unlimited).

Also, if you want to get him rehydrated, you can go to your local chemist and get something called pedialyte (its a flavored water for babies with electrolytes in it). Mix some of that in with his water- it wont do any harm and will help keep him hyrdrated.

Sounds like this may be a case of just a poor diet with way too many carbs. Heres hoping that with some major changes to his eating habits he'll be alright. Its good that you are taking such great care of him. We'll help you through all this :)

Haley

PS. I cant stress enough how important lots and lots of fresh hay is to a bunny :biggrin2:

Seconded on the basic timothy pellets and no more chocolate. :)

Also, if you want to get bun to drink more water, try a crock (a big heavy bowl) instead of a bottle (I don't think you mentioned what you used) - the only caveat is that you'll need to change the water often (whenever it's dirty, definitely every day) because it can get hair and poo and food in it or whatever else bun puts in there.

I wish you luck on getting bun to better health! It sounds like you really care and want to do what you can.

HoneyPot wrote:
Hopefully someone from the UK can chime in here - the Rabbit Deluxe food - is that the one with all the treats and seeds in it? If it is, you need to go back to feeding him a regular Timothy based pellet and not one with all the treats in it - the treats are not good for him - like feeding him candy all day.

Yup, Delux feeds are usually the mixes - which although may look nicer to our human eyes aren't actually good for you bun's tum.;)

If I were you I'd gradually change overhis food toa pellet, such as Science selective, supa rabbit excel or Allen and Page. Also - lots and lots of good quality hay! Timothy is quite hard to get over here, but it's easy to get good quality meadow hay which works just as well.:thumbup

Hopefully a change in diet should solve his tummy troubles.:)

Oooh, Rabbit Deluxe food, don't get me started. Is it a Burgess one? If so, the nutritional content, etc is as follows;

Ingredients - Flaked peas, grass pellets, whole oats, flaked maize, extruded biscuits, flaked wheat, whole wheat, soya oil, herbs.
Nutritional Analysis - Protein 13.5%, Oil 4.0%, Ash 4.0%, Fibre 9.0%, Vitamins A, D3, E and Copper.

The fibre content just really isn't good enough. Bunnys_rule63 has given you some great examples of good pellets. I know you can't buy Science Selective in Pets @ Home but you may beable to find Supa Rabbit Excel. Allen & Page has the highest fibre content at 23% but is probably harder to get hold of and I have heard that buns don't find it as tasty as Science Selective. If you ask any of your local independent pet stores they should be able to get hold of Science Selective easily enough.

As everyone here said, make sure any changes to diet are done gradually. Give stacks of good hay - try http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk. They sell Timothy Hay and it's fresh and crispy and smells wonderful. If that's too expensive you can get hold of Timothy Hay in Pets @ Home but it is packed in plastic - best thing to do once you have bought some is take it out of the plastic and store it in a box.

How are your buns poops now?

I think she means the small animal Yoghurt drops maybe i know you get them at petsa t home. If you don't want to get the Burgess i think the Pets at home own pellets are pretty similar.

You can also get good hay and the Burgess pellets and natural treats at www.bunnybasics.net they are a good company and i use them quite regular.

Fiber 9% :shock::shock::shock: I've read that fiber lower than 12% can cause diarrhea and stasis! Good thing you were feeding hay too! Not to mention that there's more unhealthy treat crud in there than pellets. It gives me an upset stomach just thinking about it.

It really is bad stuff isn't it! I don't know whyBurgess sell this stuff as some of their other food is better. Personally I would stick with Science Selective and my buns agree :)

Bump? Any updates?

By the way, I think that in your first post you said that rabbits only live for a year. Well, they can live for at least 4 years if they are healthy and not castrated, and some neutered/spayed rabbits can live into their teens. I think one rabbit on here lived to be 16? Maybe I just misread what you wrote. :)

Rachel.

Mikoli wrote:
Bump? Any updates?

By the way, I think that in your first post you said that rabbits only live for a year. Well, they can live for at least 4 years if they are healthy and not castrated, and some neutered/spayed rabbits can live into their teens. I think one rabbit on here lived to be 16? Maybe I just misread what you wrote. :)

Rachel.

Yes!!! Any news!!!

Yeah, I heard about someone's bun here living to be 15!! Pretty cool!!! My oldest girl is currently at 6 yrs right now!!

rabb1tmad wrote:
It really is bad stuff isn't it! I don't know whyBurgess sell this stuff as some of their other food is better.
I don't get this either, their Excel is some of the best food on the market (that's readily available to me anyway, would prefer Oxbow but it's so expensive to get here. :grumpy:) Their Guinea Excel is from what I gether the best food available in the UK? Why make the mixes? But then Supreme are the same - they make Science Selective but also make Russel Rabbit which is no good. Money talks I guess. :sigh:

~~~

I'd also like an update on your bunny. :):pray:

Latest posts

Back