Help me please!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieBoyyss

Reaction score
So long story short. Today was a very hot day (well at least for England it was) around 25 degrease Celsius and my giant lop rabbit was left outside all day. Later on at about 5 o'clock my mum brought him in and he lay down on one of his beds for about 3 to 5 hours... That's when me and my mum noticed something was wrong he had really hot ears and he has been twitching his 2 front paws very badly he was also very short of breath. Also he hasn't ate or drank for most of the day. So I did some research and we think it might be heatstroke. Anyway we put a wet cloth on his ears and we left a cold fan blowing on him. After witch he drank a lot of water and I mean a LOT of water, he has also had a nibble of lettuce. But we are still really worried about him, if you know about rabbit flues/microbe infections please help us. We love Bonnie (our bunny) so so much. So please help. He is fully up to date with all his jabs and is a house but has access to our outdoor patio. He can walk, but he is very lethargic and not himself.

Well considering that the rabbit might've had heat stroke he would be lethargic but at least he drank water. I'm pretty sure someone with more knowledge will come eventually. But if it was heat stroke as I said before he would be kind of sluggish

Thanks, I just want to be sure because rabbits can get some really horrid diseases and it scares me to think that Bonnie could have one or even potentially die from this.

Hmm, maybe because it adds stress to him as he's not feeling well/ sluggish and people around him maybe it makes uncomfortable.

If your rabbit suffered prolonged heat stroke, he may have permanent neurological damage. You need to take him to a rabbit savvy vet right away to be checked if he isn't completely back to normal by now. Heat stroke is a very serious health condition and needs treatment if it progresses past the initial stages of mild heat stress.

*rabbits can get some deiseases if left outside too long so I suggest waiting like someone for jbun or blueeyes* if this comes out later it because Im not at home it was sent at 8:00 pm I recommend looking for another thread or calling a vet since yes rabbits can deiseases Hope I helped XOXO chest. Blue!!

I would absolutely suggest taking her to a vet. While it seems like you reacted appropriately upon discovering her condition, she may be suffering some serious damage that can't be fixed with some cooldown. Heat strokes a serious condition for humans, I can only imagine the long term effects it could have on a furry bunny. At least you caught it in time, though, and it didn't get worse! Bunnies can die of heat stroke.

I'm just going to add my voice that he needs to see a vet ASAP. In the meantime try to keep him calm and cool with constant access to liquids, but don't shock him by covering him in ice or wet cloths. Inside (and if it's hot then maybe a fan) should be enough for now. I hope everything goes well and your bun improves!

Latest posts

Back