help me. (please!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit_whisperer

Reaction score
Hello all,I own a 6-7 month old male hymmi rabbit and he has a BAD problem.

1.Will jump out andkick or scratchwho-ever gets near me.

2.Will bite HARD ontoyour hand for attention whenyour busy with something else,Kinda hurts.

3.He'll bite anyone who gets near me.

4.Really weird behavior,Such as:Leaping up onto me in doing so makingme fall over.,Jumping up and trying to bite,sharp claws!,and of corsethe latest problem...

5.clamping down on someone arm,hand or whatever is closest and notletting go sometimes till you pet him.Might not seem so bad but itREALLY hurts.

Help please if you can.(stop the madness!)

:yeahthat

Is he neutered yet? If not, it's definately time.It sounds like he's defending you and he probably thinks of you as hismate.

Are you sure there's no other triggers for his biting? Somerabbits really really hate certain scents, and he might not appreciateperfume or cologne. Maybe you're doing something thatirritates him. Is he defending his cage? Is hebiting because you're picking him up? Does he have other toysand such to take his aggression out on? My Sprite likes totake her frustration out on noisy toys she can throw. Shegets irritated when I clean her cage so I give her several of thesetoys while I'm doing it. She now takes them from my hand andgets excited over the game, instead of fussing over what I'm doing withher poop.:D

Also, when he bites you try not to respond much to it. Juststernly say no and then slowly draw away. If you flinch backand then leave him quickly he just learns that attacking you gets himwhat he wants. Wear thicker clothes, gloves, etc if you needto. I saw a show where they used this technique with anankle-attacking English lop and they made the owner wear tall rubberboots around him to protect herself and so she wouldn't respond to hisattacks as much. It worked.

I also really recommend reading the articles in the Bunny 101 Aggression thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12319&forum_id=17

It's not uncommon for rabbits who were neuteredto still go through the teen stage. Both of my boys were neutered at5-6 months old and they were horribly mean for the longest time (fromabout a year to 2 and a half years:shock:). Mo would bite every time Iput my hand in his cage, and Spice would attack my hand sparatically.They both bit my ankles whenI ignored them. So I basicallyended up wearing gloves, long and thick coats and high boots to protectmyself. They have calmed down a huge amount since they were 2 and ahalf but unfortunately it's something that may just take time to getover, that's a risk we take when getting a young rabbit, sorry!

You couldtry spraying him with a water bottle everytime hedoes it. I do not recommend pushing their heads to the ground to showdominence becauseI tried that with my boys and they thought Iwas petting them, so they did it more often.

He has no problem with me pivking him up,touching his stuff,or moving anything in his cage.

BUT he does REALLY have a problem with other people doing it he bit mymom on the hand the other day a bit of blood,but that's it.He's my little guard-dog/bunny. LOL

He is very sweet to me but well pretty much he dont get along with anyone else....

Thanks for the suggestions guys. *group hug*

I have read in a few books/ websites that whenthey bite you. Make a very loud high pitch sqweel so itstartles him and then follow that by a very stern "NO"

It seemed to work with one of our rabbits who liked to nip if you stopped petting him.

All our rabbits went through a slightly more aggresive stage about the same age as yours.

My very-much-spayed girl is still in a "teenage"stage, and has a tendency to be too nippy. She's not territorial, butshe is doggoned bossy! ;)

Agreed on the colognes/scents thing, too - a few days ago, Nibblesattacked my ankles and feet shortly after I'd put a new kind ofmoisturizer on them. (She was even trying to shove her head into myslippers!) It was funny, but also a bit painful - and something she'dnever, ever done before.

But I bet neutering will help your boy a lot.

*eye twitch*

He IS nuetuered.

It's just territorial I think he's calmed down a good deal since bitingmy mum,hopefully he will get through the 'teen stage' fast. :D

Either way I still love him,he's my lil pooh.

Latest posts

Back