Help me name my bunny boy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceilpaws

Reaction score
As I'm waiting with bated breath until tomorrow evening to be able to bring my baby boy home, I have been consumed with trying to find the perfect name. So, because I'm a list-maker, a planner, and a bit obsessive-compulsive, I decided to start making alphabetical lists here of names that I might like for my bun-bun. And, I hope y'all with join in!

My bunny boy is a broken black bunny mutt. He is approximately 5 pounds and is just over a year old. He has standard ears and is quite the character as well as an absolute sweetheart. If I had a photo of him, I'd surely post it, but I didn't have an opportunity to take one at the shelter and he is not listed on their website. Think cute, though, and that's him!

• Abbot
  • Bono
  • Chauncey
  • Denozzo
  • Emmet
  • Frasier
  • Gideon
  • Humphrey
  • Ike
  • Jack
  • Kirby
  • Laszlo
  • McGee
  • Nigel
  • Otto
  • Parker
  • Quincy
  • Ryder
  • Shelden
  • Trystan
  • Ugo
  • Vincent
  • Wylie
  • Xander
  • Yuri
  • Ziff

Typically, I like human names for pets and animals. But, as you can see from my list, they don't have to be obvious names. And, generally, I try to stay away from the super common names. I like to think a little outside of the box, but not so much that no one can pronounce the name - including me!

I'll likely add another list or two today as I scour the internet looking for the perfect name. I know I could wait until he's home and his personality is apparent, and I may do that in the end, but I'd like to get a head start as there are a zillion names out there! I welcome you all to help and add names or lists of your own. Naming a bunny is hard work and I can use all the help I can get!

By the way, the little guy's name at the shelter is Doyle. And, while it's a cute name, I guess, it isn't one I'd ever choose. And, besides, I just don't think he's a Doyle...

I like the names that end in "y," Chauncey, Humphrey, and Kirby. I end up giving my rabbits nick names that end in "y" so I'd go for one that ends that way already (except Pepper who I call Pepster). I do that with my kids too! When I was little I had a neighbor who had 5 kids and she gave them all "y" or "ie" ending nicknames: Robbie, Suzie, Bonnie, Sandy, Johnny, and Danny.

Last edited:
When I first started reading your post & your description of yourself, my first thought was Monk or Adrian for the main character on the TV show Monk (an old favorite of mine btw). After reading the entire post and arriving at the end where you mention his name at the shelter was Doyle, that brought to mind Arthur Conan Doyle, the famous creator of Sherlock Holmes so I thought of Sherlock, Holmes or even Watson. I'm a big NCIS fan & love any of the male names from that show but those were the first thoughts to come into my head while reading your post for names. I know you & your new bunny boy will choose the perfect name together! Can't wait to learn his new name & we simply must have plenty of bunny pix to put a cute little bunny face to go with the new name! lol Congratulations!

Mine mini Rex is named Lotto. I think I should have named him Billy because he is always chewing on something like a goat does.

We ususally pick names from movies, television, or literature unless they already come to us named. One of our favorites was from the Drew Carey Show--"Commander Bun-Bun" even though she was a small girl, the name fit her to a "T". Stewart is also a favorite we've used twice so I could always say I have bunny "Stew".

I'm loving all of the name suggestions and am taking them all into consideration. I'm still not sure, though, what I want to name my boy. Of course, I likely won't make a decision until I do have him in my home and we get to know one another outside of the shelter setting. But, in the meantime, keep those names coming. I'd, at least, like to have some possibilities beforehand.

Here are some more names I've come up with:

• Ace, Ajax, Arlo
  • Benjamin, Bruno, Barney
  • Chase, Carson
  • Dalton, Dexter
  • Fletcher, Fifer
  • Gibbs, Gallagher, Gulliver
  • Herbie, Hydrox
  • Inky, Irwin
  • Jethro, Julian, Jersey, Jameson
  • Kipley, Kethry
  • Leto, Lenny, Liam
  • Maguire, Mason
  • Noah, Niles, Nixon
  • Oliver, Oscar, Omar
  • Parker, Prescott, Paxston
  • Quinn, Quentin
  • Remmy, Rupert, Rylan
  • Solomon, Sylvester, Sawyer
  • Toby, Tucker
  • Uno, Usher
  • Valentino, Virgil
  • Winston, Wylie, Wyatt
  • Xanadu, Xerox
  • Yogi, Yoshi
  • Ziggy, Zane, Zappa

Please keep the names coming. And, also, keep letting me know what your favorites are!

I'm a fan of NCIS as well and like Jethro. When ypu said Doyle, it made me think of the serie The Professionals which was on British tv in the 70's and it was Bodie and Doyle. I liked Bodie the dark brooding one, quite like it as a name as well. Didn't Patrick Swayze play Bodie in a film, another dar, brooding, handsome fella :p

What about Spencer? When cleaning out boxes from a closet, I came across a book of interview pages my son made in preschool. Each page focused on a different letter. We asked him the questions each week and the teacher put them into a book at the end. One question, for R, was "what would you name a rabbit?" He responded "Rabbit. Or Spencer." No idea why. But it is cute :)

Do you have him yet? Been thinking of you today as I know how excited you are x x x

Well, my little guy is finally home (info and pictures to be posted as soon as they load :D). And, now it is time to reveal what I've chosen for his name.

...Dum, Dumm, Dummm...​

Okay, that was probably a little bit too much dramatic flair for y'all. But, I'm super excited and thrilled that I can finally share my new bunny and his name. I've decided to go with Emmet. It just fits him as best I can tell and his ears perk up when I say it. So, it looks like we've got a winner in Emmet!

Keep your eyes peeled as a new thread should open up about Emmet within the next little while. Yay! I'm so, so happy!

Back