Help me help a shelter bunny (Long)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleybelow

Reaction score
I am volunteering with the rabbits at the local humane society. There are so many great bunnies there waiting for homes :(! There is one bunny in particular that I think needs some help and I was hoping for some advice.

The rabbits there do not get exercise very often. They have to stay in their cages 99% of the time and only get out if a volunteer can spend a few minutes with them. Most of the rabbits seem okay but the one I am worried about is very cage aggressive. She is spayed. She charges at me and growls if I put my hand in her cage. The poor thing seems very scared and angry about being shut in her cage all the time.

I know you aren�t supposed to �invade� a rabbit�s cage but I have to pick her up to let her out to exercise. The method I am using is to put my hand in her cage until she comes over to sniff it. She charges for a while but I just stay calm and ignore it. Then I pet her on her head, which she actually seems to like! Then I gently drape a towel over her and wrap her up in it enough so that I can safely pick her up and put her on the floor. Does this sound like an okay way to deal with picking her up and getting her used to hands?

I don�t know much about aggressive rabbits, so I was wondering ifa nyone here has any advice or would do anything differently when visiting her in the shelter.

Thanks! :D

sounds like you are doing great! i don't know much either but i wouldn't really see a better way:D

I think you're doing fine. I have the same issue with a very aggressive doe of mine, she not only is cage aggressive, but had been neglected and probably abused in the past. I hate to pick her up, as it scares her so bad, but I can't see any other way of doing things like nail trimmings. I just talk quietly and calmly, and try to keep it as positive an experience as possible. Also a few Froot Loops or Fruity Cheerios help a lot after, LOL.

Hi! The shelter you mention sounds like one I've been to. It's frustrating to see them not getting much exercise. They have a pretty decent-sized pen where bonded bunnies live, but those that don't bond each have their separate cage, and I've never witnessed them getting any time out of that cage to run around and exercise.

I wish I could give all those bunnies a home...right now we can't, but once we have a house (in about a year), we should be able to adopt quite a few sweeties.

It sounds like you're doing a really great job there...keep it up! Try not to let various shelter policies and such get ya down. It can be really frustrating...but it sounds like you're making a difference in those bunnies' lives! :D

Hugs!

Rosie & the Herd :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

It sounds to me like you are doing really great with the way that you are handling this poor little girl. Sometimes it just takes going very slow which is what you are doing.

It sounds like you're doing a great job. One recommendation I would make that I will use with buns I don't know well when I'm volunteering is to wear some thick gloves to protect yourself. I learned the hard way last week when I forgot, reached in wearing just my rubber gloves, and got quite a pinch on my hand. Luckily, it didn't break the skin.

Back