Help - injured cottontail..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi there guys..

I'm not sure what to do - I was looking outside and saw a cottontail flayling around under a tree in the front yard. I thought he was fighting with something, so went out to check and he seems to be hurt :(. I didn't see anythinghe could have been fighting with, but I'm not sure.His back leg is sticking out and he's making no attempts to flee when I get close to him.

I'm not sure what to do. I got avideo, but he was under a bush so it's quite dark. When he was trying to walk, he was looking like he was about to fall over.

Should I call a nearby wildlife place and see what they say?

Will post the video and pics I got ASAP.. just going out to check on him and see if he's alright.

Aww poor thing. :( I would call a wildlife place. Other then that I'm not sure. :(

I think he has a neurological issue.. he came out from under the bush, and tried to run but fell over and just layed there. When he tried to get back up and sprint, he totally fell over and fumbled to the ground.

I'm not sure what to do for him, if anything.

Here's the video..

Contacted a local rehabber, then got directed to one that deals with small mammals.. so just on the phone with them now.

Had to leave a message at Critter Care (wildlife place that I was directed to), so hopefully someone will phone me back. He's still in the front yard laying down. I'm not sure if I should try to catch him, or if that would stress him out and make him hurt himself? I'm just keeping an eye on him right now.

Hopefully they call back soon.. poor little thing :(.

Just went to quickly check on him, still in the yard.. from the videos Ali posted of Ringo, he's looknig a lot like that. Rolling around and can't keep his balance. His head isn't tilted though.. so could he have some sort of parasite or something causing him to act like this?

Found a place that could take him.. but haven't been able to catch him.

I brought the x-pen out and he ran into it, but managed to slip between the bars and run off. I just came in from trying to catch him, he managed to get in the thick bushes at the back, and haven't been able to see him.. so going back out there in a bit to see if he's come out of the bushes.

I'm trying to catch him with the x-pen and a fleece blanket to throw on him, but it hasn't been working. Any suggestions?

take a sheet and put it around the pen so he cant slip through, use a pole to scare him from the bushes into the pen and wrap the blanket around him. make sure the blanket is loose enough for him to kick and get away...and make sure to clean up before touching your buns because if hes carrying something yours might get it

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I've lost him. I managed to get him out of the bushes but then he ran into my neighbours property into their black berry bushes, so tried to find him from there, but it's so thick I'm not sure when he'll come out. At least he's sheltered from the rain under there.

I'll call my neighbour and let them know just to keep a look out if they see him.. but he's tiny, can fit into the smallest places.

I'll try going out once again tonight before it gets dark and tomorrow.. hope I see him again.

:(

Aww poor guy. :( Glad you found a place! But little booger now needs to cooperate! lol! Keep us updated!

That is a spinal injury. Most likely picked up by a dog. Similar injury at L7 that domestics suffer. Most likely it is a slight luxation and the odd neuro markers are the signs of pressure on the spinal cord. I have successfully treated this in smaller cottontails. Might be a bit more challenging in this older rabbit. In reality, and I don't mean to sound harsh but based on my experience, it is unlikely this rabbit will survive the night. They have very little will to live. But I would still try to find it and give it a chance. Some cottontails have surprised us. I treat these situations by sedating with valium (and that helps them to deal with stress) along with anti-inflammatories. Many older vets might use steroids....but like their domestic cousins, the immune system of cottontails is equally fragile and the potential benefits of steroids are outweighed by the possibility of immune system compromise. Good luck.

Randy

Thanks Randy, was hoping you would see this..

I feel horrible for the poor guy, really wish he hadn't decided to be tricky and go in the blackberries. I could see he wasn't doing too well because even though he was trying to flee, he would give up for a bit and let me come a foot away just close enough to be ready to throw the blanket on him then try to get up... heartbreaking to watch.

Couldn't find him when I went out looking again half an hour ago. I'm thinking he's just going to stay put under the blackberries since it's quite miserable out with the rain and dampness.

Will do another check around the yard tomorrow, poor little thing.

Back