HELP-I can't find anything about this.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXX55

Reaction score
My bunny is doing something that has me worried.:?

She'll be in any normal positionand for no reason she'lljump upon her hind legs, bring her front paws to her mouth, and start chewing on something in her mouth. I know rabbits can't vomit but it looks like shes trying to bring something up in her mouth and then whatever it is she starts chewing it... She'll do this about 2 or 3 timesfor about20 seconds and then she's back to normal. This happens at least 10 to 15 times a day. She also seems to be in somediscomfort during this period.

She is eating normal, binking, flopping, running in the hallway, pooping, drinking, and everything else bunnies do. This has been going on for about 3 months. There is no discharge from her mouth, eyesor nose.

Did anyoneout thereexperience this type of behavior in their bun?

Are you sure she's not washing her paws or face? Can you stick your finger in her mouth to see if something is stuck in there? I have heard of fibers or celery strings getting stuck in that way.

This is not her normal grooming style. When she washes her paws and face she does it more gracefully. This seems more intense. I did notice sort of a gurgle sound once or twice right before this happens.

I will try to see if I can get my finger in her mouth to see if there's something there.
I can eliminate celery, she didn't have any for months.

Can she have allergies?

Could there be a mucous or nasal drainage that she's trying to bring up?

When she opens her mouth is she stretching out her neck? Could she possibly be attempting to take in more air?

This possibly could be a tooth that is bothering heror an infection in her mouth

if she attempting to bring in more air this couldbe a heart/lung problem.
You really need to see a rabbit experienced vet.
I wouldn't postpone this ...

When she opens her mouth is she stretching out her neck? Could she possibly be attempting to take in more air?

This possibly could be a tooth that is bothering heror an infection in her mouth /trachea/esophagus

if she attempting to bring in more air this couldbe a heart/lung problem.
You really need to see a rabbit experienced vet.
I wouldn't postpone this ...

I'm leaning more towards a tooth that is bothering her. I'm going to the vet today to make an appointment.

I don't think it's a breathing problem. She runs up and down our hallway with ease.

(couldn't answer sooner-computer tuneup)

Thanks. I'll keep this condition updated.

Just got back from the vet. He checked her teeth and they are fine. He did notice asmall granular growth under her tongue that could be an abscess.

He put her on antibiotics (Baytril 0.5ml twice a day) for two weeks to see if it goes away.I know Baytril is old school but my bun was on it before without any side effects.

I'll keep an update on her progress.....

Interesting. I wonder how she got an injury there? Let us know if there's no improvement within a few days--I'd expect to see it improving within 5 days for an abscess. If no improvement there, Baytril may not be the best drug for this.

Sorry, I was out of town. Yes, another different antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics might do a better job at treating the abscess. How is it going?

Well I stopped the baytril on Wednesday (Nov 17) myself. I don't think it was helping. The actions my bun is doing (as described in this threads first post) are still there. All it did was give my bun messy poops and prior to the baytril she was fine.

I did try a probiotic for two days but I don't know if it helped. I will return to petco to look for benebacas angieluv mentioned. All they had last time was benebac for birds and it was almost out dated. I have a follow-up with the vet on Monday (Nov 22) to see if the granule (or abscess) under her tongue went away.

Mywife and Iare are watching bun like ahawk and we noticed her sneezing more frequently and then she'lldo that discomfort thing.Sometimes it looks like she is trying to bring up saliva. Could she have a cold or allergies?

Latest posts

Back