Help - How do I decide whether or not to euthanise?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the above posts. Euthanasia should only be a last resort. You need to exhaust all other options before you even consider putting a bunny down.

Head tilt is relatively common and I would treat it the best you can. Many rabbits even live a happy life with head tilt, but the cause should definitely be examined and treated.

I would get a confirmation of an abscess in the brain before making any rash decisions. Was Alaska ever checked for EC when there was paralysis in the legs?

I hope that your little Alaska gets better! I agree that Alaska needs to get to a rabbit savvy vet right now and not wait until Tuesday. Tuesday could be too late for her. Even though some rabbits can wait, depending on what is wrong with them, until the next available appointment with the vet. I also agree that euthanizing should always be a very last resort!

Give Alaska a fighting chance to get better. Rabbits have immune systems that fight of infections, some infections not all of them. My Prince has possible ear mites, the vet said, but his immune system is fighting them at the moment. I am keeping an eye on his ears though.

Anyway I hope that Alaska gets better.

Oh geez, I don't know what to do or say. I've never had to make this decision, so I'll leave it to the others to give you ideas about that. I do want to say that baytril will not do the trick. This is something only you can decide and we will support you 100% either say. It may be worth trying some stronger antibiotics (cloramphenicol).

Alaska went for her checkup today and blew the vet away with her progress. She is much better, her head has straightened up a bit and she seems quite bright and active. She is staying on the Baytril for another two weeks.

I asked the vet (a different vet to last time) about other antibiotic options and he said that the options are very limited and the only alternative was trimethoprim sulphur which he didn't think would be right. I'm thinking maybe in NZ we don't have many antibiotics licensed for use on rabbits.

I asked him about testing the bacteria and he said that would require her to be put under anaesthetic because a needle would have to be inserted into her ear drum to get a sample. Unfortunately Alaska probably wouldn't survive anaesthetic so then that's not really an option.

He also said he wouldn't recommend removing the eye as that would probably spread a pasturella infection and just put her under more stress. It's likely that the eye will become 'thitic' (I think that's the word) which basically means it will shrink up.

So for the moment I will stick with the current treatment and hope for the best. If she keeps getting better that would be awesome, fingers crossed!

Thanks for everyones advice.

I guess Baytril is the best option for you. The other drug is only used for urinary tract infections in humans, and has some side effect on eyes that could be a problem for Alaska with her eye issues. Other drugs we have available are injectible penicillin G procaine, cloramphenicol, zithromyicin, convenia (an equine antibiotic), and injectible amoxicillin. The Pen G procaine is often used for livestock. Penicillins and amoxicillin are typically seen as drugs you absolutely don't give to rabbits, because they can be toxic if given orally, so your vet may not know about the injectible forms. It may be something to think about if this course of Baytril doesn't do it. Good luck.

I'm so glad she has improved :)

I also just want to add that we have very few unlicensed anti-bios over here, and a lot of vets actually use a lot of things (Metacam, many anti-biotics, some wormers, etc), off license. There are risks, as with any med, but under the right circumstances, with the right vet and medicine, they can be really useful. That was how we used the Convenia for Tilly's head tilt, it was off license and actually the first time my vet had used it in a bunny.

I truly hope she keeps improving :)

Flashy wrote:

I also just want to add that we have very few unlicensed anti-bios over here, and a lot of vets actually use a lot of things (Metacam, many anti-biotics, some wormers, etc), off license. There are risks, as with any med, but under the right circumstances, with the right vet and medicine, they can be really useful. That was how we used the Convenia for Tilly's head tilt, it was off license and actually the first time my vet had used it in a bunny.

I wish their were more vets like Tracy's

I'm also glad that Alaska seems better....

My Twinkles had a weepy, infected eye 6 months prior to his getting Head Tilt. At the time, he was given meds for Pasteurella and it cleared up. Late Dec he started dragging his back legs but came out of it the same day. I immediately took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with Pasteurella, again and given antibiotics.
Long story short, he became very ill due to improper meds. It was not Baytril, it was some other antibiotic. Twinkles condition was terrible but I got rid of that vet and I got him to a bunny vet, changed his meds to Chloramphenicol and he has been recovering since. The good vet said he was a severe case. The meds were not that expensive and the recovery has taken a while, but Twinkles is acting like a teenager now and has only a minor tilt when hopping, straight when sitting. He has not finished his course of meds, though, so I am hopeful for a full recovery.
There were days when I asked myself the same question, was I making him suffer but I persevered. If you could see him now!
Every bunny is individual but I think you should give your bunny the chance. On a good antibiotic, recovery is possible.
Good luck!

I meant

Flashy wrote:

I also just want to add that we have very few licensed anti-bios over here, and a lot of vets actually use a lot of things (Metacam, many anti-biotics, some wormers, etc), off license. There are risks, as with any med, but under the right circumstances, with the right vet and medicine, they can be really useful. That was how we used the Convenia for Tilly's head tilt, it was off license and actually the first time my vet had used it in a bunny.

Not unlicensed. Sorry, confusing typo.

And yes, my vet is great :) I found him via the forum *nods*

Latest posts

Back