Help Help - Baby Rabbit Head Tilt - NO Answers from the vet why

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelika

Reaction score
Hi,

Okay I have gone to the vet again (a different one) Anyways he looked at the rabbit and said that his tummy is nice and full, he is at a good weight, he's not too thin, his teeth are fine, he is pooping ( he went at the vets) and it is not liquid, he is full of energy and is not depressed, he looked in his ears, no mites, no ear infection, his ears looked great the vet said. He looked at his eyes, both eye balls are the same size and they look fine, he is not blind. The vet said that if i really want he can give me medication of Chloro Palm , he said that is the only medication he gives in this situation, however he said that since the rabbit is only 6 weeks old, it can stunt his growth or have other affect on him, he said that he would recommend waiting a few more days, and if nothing gets better get him on the medication in about 3-5 days. The vet said that it could be a genetic problem though he said it's strange that it would only come out when he was 6 weeks old and not when he was born.

What is wrong with my bunny? anyone have any ideas? what do you think of the medication he wants to give my bunny? what should i do. The vet said that since my bunny is eating ( which he is) and since he is drinking water ( which he is) and since he has lots of energy and is active, he didn't see a reason of giving him the medication right now. I don't know what to do. Please help.

The medicine he wants to give is an antibiotic, and I've given it to small babies (3-4 weeks old) safely before. I think it would be safe to try the little guy on the chlorpalm to see if it helps him. If it is some sort of infection that can't be seen, then that should get rid of it.

--Dawn

Hi Again,

Where are you located? Maybe I know of a real rabbit vet that can get some answers. There is NO WAY to properly look into the ear for an infection. It is impossible to see the inner ear or most of the middle ear where most infections start. A cytology is the absolute minimum here.

As far as drugs, as I have mentioned, I have dosed rabbits that were pinkys. And Chloramphenicol is a fantastic drug....but some people have severe reactions by just coming into contact with that drug. Use proper precautions.

It is possible to be a genetic problem...or literally hundreds of other possibilities. You need answers and without proper diagnostics, things are only going to get worse.

Randy

Hi there,

From your other posts, it looks like you are in the Vancouver area. You need to see Dr. Upjohn at Eagleridge animal clinic.

He isa rabbit EXPERT from what I've heard.

Here is the phone number: 604-464-3343

Back