Help! Gas? Gurgly noises coming from Kirby this morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I woke up just now and went to pet Kirby. He was in a loaf/chicken pose, looked like he was sleeping until I came in. I was petting him and he flattened out for me. I was leaning my head in to snuggle on his head when I heard these GURGLING noises from him. It sounded like "bub... bubblub....bub....bub...blubblub... " it was slow, gurgly popping noises.

He just RAN into the litter box just now. Will check if he just went to poo. Is it normal? I have never heard these noises coming from him before. It wasn't flatulence, it didn't smell weird. It was very subtle but certain it was coming from him. Should I give him simethicone anyway?

Oh Kirby, why on Thanksgiving honey? :(

I am just seeing your post Helen....

Yes, do give Kirby gas meds and tummy rubs to get the gurgles moving. Andy used to get like that also: gurgly, bunny-loaf, very little movement.... Instant sign for simethicone and rubs. I used to wait an hour or so before the next treatment. Once Andy started running around again, I knew he was all better.:D

Don't panic, just relax and get spend some quiet time holding your baby for his rubs. ;)

myheart

edit to add.... If you feel better about it, do a little bene-bac later in the day to make sure tummy flora is okay. I've only had to treat Zappa once with rubs and meds because she found her way into the farm hay and had too much alfalfa which was too rich for her little belly.

Thanks, myheart! I gave Kirby a tablespoon of pumpkin for Thanksgiving, spiked with 1 mL of Simethicone. He actually got up and nibbled a little bit of timothy, went to the litterbox for some pooping, and then went back upstairs to his sleeping spot. He's a bunny loaf again, eyes partially closed. It's hard to tell if he's doing it because he's in pain or because he's just sleepy. By this time in the day he is usually taking his daytime nappies.

I'll listen for any more gurgling. I read that I should be dosing him every half hour or something... but it seems to be overkill because he doesn't seem overly upset. What's the protocol? He's 5.7lbs the last time I weighed him.

I can't even imagine what made him gassy because he did not eat anything out of the ordinary. He didn't even go out to play last night. Unless he hasn't been feeling well since last night and I didn't catch it. Honestly, I wouldn't have ever heard the gurgling except in the quiet morning of a holiday. :(

kirbyultra wrote:
I can't even imagine what made him gassy because he did not eat anything out of the ordinary. He didn't even go out to play last night. Unless he hasn't been feeling well since last night and I didn't catch it. Honestly, I wouldn't have ever heard the gurgling except in the quiet morning of a holiday. :(

That was always my indicator with Andy. He always came out of the condo bouncing, but on evenings that he would come out and just sit, I would automatically start treatment. Andy became very easy to read if he had tummy troubles.

I don't think I would worry too much especially if he ate a little something. Unless he is in total distress, I would consider giving more simethicone hourly until he is back to himself. It won't hurt him if you want to give it every half-hour, but if he stresses about being handled so much, that could cause him more stress than he needs.

Tummy rubs will help get things moving around a little faster in combination with the simethicone. I used to put Andy on my chest for heat, and wrap my arm around him so that I could use my finger tips to do gently rubs downward on his tummy. The heat we shared was calming for him as well as kept him warmed and comfortable.

Hope that helps...

myheart

kirbyultra wrote:
I'll listen for any more gurgling. I read that I should be dosing him every half hour or something... but it seems to be overkill because he doesn't seem overly upset. What's the protocol?
The good thing about simethecone is that it isn't a drug. It works mechanically to break up gas bubbles, kind of like the way a drop of soap will disperse a film of grease in the sink. So, it can't hurt to give it when you suspect gas. If there is gas, it works. If there isn't, it doesn't, but there's no harm.

Janet (my heart) has covered all bases well;)
The only thing thatI would add is that there no hard and fast rule to give simethicone evry 1/2 hr.

It is usally described as 1 hour between doses but you can wait longer than that ifyou think he is getting better.

Hope that his problem improves and doesn't ruin your day( and his)

I'm sure that you will up-date.

yesterdayI heard a bunny fart for the first time. it scared the other rabbits LOL; I have never heard one before.

I have to leave home soon to go to my mom's for Thanksgiving. I am worried about Kirby.... I have to leave tomorrow morning to go to Toronto too. My brother will be bunnysitting. I feel absolutely terrible leaving him...

I gave him another 0.6mL of simethicone since it has been an hour. I still heard gurgling in his tummy. :(

Bunny cam will be closely on him to make sure he is ok...

Edit: Is it possible that it is not gas? Could the gurgling be anything else?

It probably is simple gas but that should be resolved by tonight

if not then he should see a vet.. it would indicate some disruption in the GI tract

is he pooping eating, drinking OK?

Doesn't it alway seem like these things occur at the worst possible time :(

I will give him some benebac this afternoon when I come home. I just gave him a tummy rub. He didn't like me trying to pick him up at all but he laid still for the tummy rub. I pressed my ear against his belly area and all I could hear now was his booming heartbeat (from being scared of being picked him). There was a low watery noise sloshing inside but it wasn't the low, slow gurgling noise like before.

He didn't eat his salad yet. He kinda nibbled on a leaf. He ate a lot of hay last night, he didn't eat any pellets this morning. He normally doesn't take more than a couple sips of his water anyway because he gets a lot of veggies.

angieluv wrote:
a gentle gurlging sound could be normal . a loud gurgling sound often occurs in stasis .

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

is he pooping?
if you cut back on the veggies would he eat a lot of hay ?

He pooped overnight and he went in the box this morning to poop and pee. I can see if he will eat more hay if I took away the greens later when I get home...

I wouldn't describe the gurgling this morning as "violent" or "loud" as in the statis article. It's audible if I put my head close to his head (noise is coming from his midriff), but not so loud that I'd hear it in normal distance from him. It was a pronounced slow, unsteady but persistent glub-blub noise. After about 1 hr 45 minutes from the initial dose he was moving around more and his eyes looked more alert. The gurgling is not as persistent as before, only happens once in a while. It sounded much quieter, not as much oomph in each "glub".

It's hard to explain... Sorry if I sound nuts :p

Edit: I just saw on Kirby-kam - he's eating lettuce! Yay!

kirbyultra wrote:
angieluv wrote:
a gentle gurlging sound could be normal . a loud gurgling sound often occurs in stasis .

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

is he pooping?
if you cut back on the veggies would he eat a lot of hay ?

He pooped overnight and he went in the box this morning to poop and pee. I can see if he will eat more hay if I took away the greens later when I get home...

I wouldn't describe the gurgling this morning as "violent" or "loud" as in the statis article. It's audible if I put my head close to his head (noise is coming from his midriff), but not so loud that I'd hear it in normal distance from him. It was a pronounced slow, unsteady but persistent glub-blub noise. After about 1 hr 45 minutes from the initial dose he was moving around more and his eyes looked more alert. The gurgling is not as persistent as before, only happens once in a while. It sounded much quieter, not as much oomph in each "glub".

It's hard to explain... Sorry if I sound nuts :p

Edit: I just saw on Kirby-kam - he's eating lettuce! Yay!

Good job at Kirby's treatments!!! Don't forget to usea little bene-bac to make sure his tummy is on the right track... At least you will know more of what to look for if this ever happens again, and start treatment right away.

myheart

Hi Helen, seems we're both on our toes today! Baci is giving us another scare by not eating his lettuce also. Glad to hear Kirby was eating his lettuce as of this afternoon. It'll be a long night here as I'll be on the couch tonight so Baci can stay out. Have a good trip in Toronto!

My facebook status was about Kirby being gassy on Thanksgiving. My friend commented:
"What's invisible and smells like carrots?
Bunny farts."
:biggrin2:

I can laugh now because Kirby is feeling obviously much better! He ventured out and gave me binkies galore! :inlove:

myheart, you're right - it was definitely a sign that Kirby wasn't right when he didn't come out to play, didn't really want to do anything. The last couple days he has been staying in his cage, not wanting to come out. I've been posting in the nutrition and behavior the last 2 weeks about his general odd behavior... I guess it makes sense that he was building up to some kinda GI upset.

I'm going to give him some benebac soon. Gonna try to shove as much of the teaspoon of powdered stuff as I can in there because I don't want to give him too much pumpkin. His butt gets a little messy when I overdo the pumpkin :p

Hope Baci and everyone's buns behave and stay healthy!

It probably is *just* gas at the moment, but the tricky part is that there is something causing the gas. And it's not just a digestive upset causing the gas, something is causing the digestive upset, and its likely related to the stress he's been feeling the past week or two.

So while it's unlikely there's an immediate emergency, it appears that Kirby unfortunately does have an issue that's causing stress/discomfort and it needs to be diagnosed and treated.

When you're back home and can get him in for an appointment, I'd suggest getting him tested ASAP. Offhand I'd say the urine and blood tests are a good way to go. A vet can express his bladder, or insert a needle (which I personally hate). Or you can get him to pee in a very clean piece of bubble wrap and syringe up the liquid. Ask your vet for a preference.

Hope its something minor!

sas :clover:

sas, I was thinking the same - that he's been acting strangely for a while and finally had a bout of gas today, but there might be something going on.

I'll be calling the vet at 8:30am when they open to make an appt for ASAP when I come back. Hope it's just nothing.

Latest posts

Back