Help for new proud owner of Dwarf Rabbit... Ralph

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss ralph

Reaction score
Will myrabbit become more affectionate andless stressed when i go to pick him up?

How should he be held?

Do they liked to be rubbed in any particular spot?

Does he need to eat grass?

Does he need vaccination/worming if so what?

Can dogs pass on any diseases, can they be friends or get along with dogs?

Can he pass on any diseases to humans?

Will he remember his name? Do they have short/long term memory?

Wil he get enough water from a dish, doesnt seem to like the bottle?

Does he need a sleep area... blanket, newspaper?

Yes, if you do it gently and make it a positiveexperience, your bunny will not get so stressed when you pick him up.Just think how it feels to him: little bunny scooped up high into theair, kind of like a hawk might do. Rabbits tend to prefer all four feeton the ground, but in time, I'm sure you can get Ralph to accept yourholding.

He should be held supporting his upper body and bottom, so he doesn't feel like he's floating in air.

Rabbits tend to really like their noses and heads being rubbed,stroking towards their ears. Most rabbits will melt for this, some even"purr" (grind their teeth in contentment)

I don't believe rabbits need to be vaccinated or de-wormed, though I am not positive.

The only disease I can think that a rabbit might pass to humans isringworm, which is a fungal skin infection that will make both of youitch.

Bunnies and dogs do not share any illnesses in common that I have heardof. Bunnies and dogs can and often do get along, but it really dependson the dog. Most dogs will be inclined to see a bunny as a moving chewtoy, so I would never leave a dog unattented with a rabbit.

Rabbits can recognize their names; I have two rabbits, and if I callone, they know which one I am calling. I'm not sure exactly what thememory of a rabbit is like, but they are highly intelligent and canlearn and remember things.

Keeping water in a dish is fine, so long as you keep it filled andclean. Is he an indoor or outdoor rabbit? If he's outdoors, you'll haveto check to see he has plenty of water in the summer, that he doesn'ttip the bowl over, and that it doesn't freeze up in the winter (notthat I know how cold it gets in Australia :D)

Is he in a wire bottomed cage? If so, he definately needs a restingarea, to keep his hocks off the wire. A wooden plank often does thetrick, though I'm sure there are other suggestions. Many rabbits tolike to have a "spot" they call their bed, something they can stretchout on or snuggle into, like a towel or sheepskin rug.

Hope all this helps. Feel free to ask more questions, we're all here to help!

~M

Oh yes, and let me just say, I love his name. So cute.

~M

You can visit this website for more info onvaccineshttp://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/pam.htm

Some countries vaccinate, others, like the US do not.

Yes, on the worming.

Rabbits can pass many diseases to humans, but this is very uncommonexcept in cases of compromised immunity. Fungal or miteinfestations are the most common "threat" to humans.

Greens can be introduced slowly if the rabbit is used to a commercial pellet diet.

Pam

26_11_8.gif

Just noticed that you are new here and wanted to say,"Welcome!" We're an eclectic bunch, that feels more like afamily, than just another rabbit message board. Sincerelyhope you find that is the case for you, too, and you choose to hangabout with us for a while.

Buck

Welcomeaboard! I'm sure as you browse through the posts you willfind an abundance of useful information. It mayeven be somewhat overwhelming!Glad tohave you!:)

Congratulations on your new baby and Warmest Welcome to the forum, Miss Ralph. :dude:

You might wish to check out a post entitled, "Cheat Sheet for RabbitCare". It's got in there our own personal notes, book recommendations,and websites you might find fun to look into. It shouldn't be muchfurther than Page Two on this forum as I just brought it back around.

Happy you found us.

-Carolyn

Welcome to the forum!

(insert smiley here, dont have the site downloaded...grrr)

(insert bunny hug here, see above reason)

Cher

Back