help for a strange rabbit behavior... 2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberbunny

Reaction score
Hello!

Thankyoufor the many responses to my post! I got many great suggestions as towhy my rabbit acts strange (scroll down for original message) now Ihave another question for you that has to do with the original message.I would like to possibly be able to hold Amber again, (i dont know ifthat will ever happen though...) but.. How would I be able to make itso that Amber isnt so figity when i pick her up? Is there anything thatI could do that could possibly show her its okay to be held?Thankyou!!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

I was just wondering ifanybody could help me out here.... about 3 years ago (or so)i got a bunny at the fair. I named her amber (hence my username:p) andi love her very much. I remember holding her and rocking her like ababy and being able to pick her up. it was so cute. Amber is a veryspoiled bunny too. She has a very good life... she gets fresh water andfood and carrots and even has a little pen outside for in thesummertime for exersise. :DBut anyways.. i always loved to beable to hold her and now she wont let me!! If u try picking her up shesquirms like a bug and digs her claws until she is back on the groundagain. sometimes she attacks you even when she IS on the ground. Withher feet, she will attack ur hand and scratch the daylights out of it.I used to be able to put a harness on her for walks but she wont let meeither because im reaching under her belly to latch it. I dont know whyall of a sudden she doesnt want to be held or played with like thatanymore. it makes me sad :? I want to know how i can maybechange this, i probably cant do anything, but i would like to hear whatothers have to say... CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE????thankyou.

Amberbunny,

That is not strange behavior at all. It is normal for bunniesto struggle when picked up. In the wild, that usually meansthey are going to be eaten!

You should read the thread called "Shy Rabbit" from today. It has some good advice.

Laura

I would like to read the article. Would anybody happen to know where it is???

The first bunny I ever had, Jasmine, was reallysick. She didn't want to eat a thing. I ended up buying baby bottles,cradling her in my arm, and giving her liquids that way. She died onlyabout 4 days after I got her.

The next rabbit I got was a strong and healthy one, very unlikeJasmine. I was so used to babying Jasmine 24/7 that I felt I needed tothe same with the new bunny. Nope. No way in hell. lol Poor Jasminedidn't have the strength to object to being held, in reality I thinkshe liked it and felt secure in my arms, like I was protecting her fromthe parasites that were raging inside of her body...

But your average healthy bunny HATES being held. There's nothing youcan do about it, it's just the way they are. Also, forcing them to stayin your arms can be deadly, they can jump out of your arms and breaktheir back quite easily.

Dear Amberbunny,

I might know what the problemis.Your rabbit is probablyscared.

jeremy

Jeremy does bring up a good point. I wonder if there was a time whenshe accidently hurt herself when she jumped out of your arms and sheremembers it and is afraid now.

Any chance of her having a sore spot? Wondering if handling her istriggering some pain. Not sure, just throwing the thought out there.

As stated, it's not uncommon for rabbits not to like to be held. I onlyhold them when I want a quick snuggle or when I have to clip theirnails (although Cali will let me hold her as long as I wanted when hada hard day a month or so ago).

They're all different. The best thing you could do is to just bepatient, get on her level on the ground, talk to her a lot, and startto build up the trust again. Hopefully she'll return to her old ways.Working with her, taking the time, being patient would be where I'dstart, and stay tuned to how she's moving around. When you do get ahold of her, feel for any lumps or anything peculiar.

-Carolyn

I happen to agree with Jeremy also.

Did your rabbit have a bad experience with something? If she wasyounger I might say it was the "teen years" but I doubt it at 3 yearsold.

Latest posts

Back