Help - eye infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lichanura

Reaction score
I have a young male calico that I just bought and it has a serious eye infection. I don't know how I missed it when I bought it. Are there eye drops available or antibiotic injections that he should get? Thanks for your help.

You'll need to take him to a rabbit-savvyvet. There are antibiotics available, but you'll need a prescription. I don't recommend doing home treatment or over-the-counter treatments for eye infections, it's just too risky.

Do you have other rabbits? If so, make sure he's quarantined away from them. Wash your hands a lot, take care of him last,and disinfect frequently to prevent the others from getting sick too.

It is really hard to answer your question without seeing the rabbit's eye. I use terramycin eye ointment when I have babies that get eye infections - it runs about $14 for a tiny tube but last a long time.

However, it is hard to know if this is the same type of eye infection....so seeing your vet is a good course of action.

Peg

I thank all three of you for your responses. Ido have other rabbits in separate cages but they are not affected with the eye problem. I have been thinking about putting Neosporin ointment on the area. With it's four anitibiotics it has never failed me with human infections.

Please don't use Neosporin on the eye!It's not meant for internal use! There is a different versionof it made specially for the eyes- I've been given that for minor secondary eye infections by my vet. It was labeled for veterinary use only, so you can probably only get it with a prescription. It has different ingrediants so it does not harm the eye. And like I said, it was for minor secondary infections that were cause by other things (blocked tear duct in a rabbit, feline herpes in a cat). If the bacteria is the initial cause, they said they would have prescribed something stronger.

If you are set on home treatment, read the info from Rabbit Health References first to see what can help. But make sure that whatever you do, it is safe for rabbits and for how you're going to useit, such as orally, in the eye, etc.

Rabbit Health References: Eye Problems

im not sure if this can work for rabbits, but i know that some vets will tell you that you can use polysporin but for eyes. and only if the infection isnt that bad. but you would have to make sure with the vet. and besides im not sure if it can be used for rabbits. sometimes its been used to treat infections with hamsters and such. and there are definitely antibiotics available from the vet for eye infections.

how are his eyes now?

Back