HELP! External rabbit tumor disappeared. How??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubchic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I either have a medical miracle or medical emergency on my hands and would appreciate any advice. This may be a little long, but I want to provide as much detail. My daughter's rabbit, Peter, means the world to her and I am at a loss. Actually, completely stunned.

My daughter's 2 year old female mini lop developed an external tumor on her rectum literally over night on Halloween. My daughter and I are very active with Peter and there was no sign of a tumor on Oct. 30. On Halloween we noticed an inch in diameter growth that looked like a veiny balloon (perfectly round, no masses or lumps) on her rectum. We immediately to her to the vet and she was initially diagnosed with a prolapsed rectum. However, after a second opinion by our vet, it was determined a tumor. Out vet said to keep an eye on the tumor and if it enlarged or affected her bowel movements to bring her back in. We checked daily and so far the tumor has stayed the exact same.

We were out of town for the day yesterday and school started today, so we had not had a chance to check the tumor. Before bed tonight my daughter checked on Peter and the tumor has completely disappeared. No trace. No blood. No sign that there was an abscess on her rectum. Nothing. I checked all through her bedding (it's white) and no trace of blood. Her rectum looks a bit swollen, but other than the swelling I can't find anything wrong. My daughter is over the moon, but I am worried. What happened to the tumor???

Thanks in advance!

Weird! I don't know, maybe it somehow drained itself internally, or ruptured. More importantly, is Peter still pooping and peeing normally?

Thanks Laura for answering! Your bun is precious!

I spoke with a vet this morning and she thought maybe it was a cyst that drained, like you mentioned. I just cleaned Peter's cage and will keep an eye on her poop and pee. Crossing my fingers all is ok!

Just an update on Peter. She is pooping and peeing normal amounts and is doing great. So odd the tumor would just disappear, but very happy it did! Crossing my fingers she stays healthy.

It was a cyst. They can appear overnight and are impossible to drain with a syringe on a rabbit. My last rabbit Bud developed two on his stomach and I immediately had the vet surgically remove them and send them out analysis. They were white, intact within a sac and not something you want to look at.
Hopefully it popped and drained externally as it's not something you want going internally.

Latest posts

Back