Help! Don't know what to do

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
It's so freezing over here in England, and my bun's bottles keep freezing up. So I tried dethawing them every now and then, but realised between the thaws it was about 5 hours, and I can't do that; its not fair.
So then I tried giving them bowls of water. Oh the fun- about ten seconds later- a dripping wet hutch, as they both decided it would be very amusing to tip them over.
So after about 5 goes at that, and having to clean hutches 5 times, I decided to go and get those bottle covers.
No where had them. Great.
So I have put two thick sports socks over each bottle to try and keep them warm. It seems to be working, but I am very concerned about my buns trying to chew them.

Is this not a good idea? Can they choke? The bottles are on the outside of the hutch, but they can still get at the sock if they try. What other suggestions do you have?

Thanks

Jenx

If the bottles have metal fonts, it's pointless to try to keep the bottles from freezing because the fonts freeze up instantly.

Use crocks and provide some moist foods.

Pam

Yeah they do...:(

But isnt it equally as pointless putting bowls down becuase they tip them over?

Yeah moist foods is a good idea... thanks

I use crocks and in 21 years have only had one crock tipped and one crock knocked and spilt (although we do get a lot of paddling, but that doesn't make vast amounts of water, just some wet bunny foot prints) just to give you some idea that with decent bowls they shouldn't overturn. Plastic and metal bowls don't work for water, you need something really solid, like ceramic. For my singles I use these http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-6+small+pets/brand-is-happy_pet/product-is-13910but for my trios or pairs I use dog bowls.

ETA that with my paddling buns I put the crocks in shallow plastic trays (they seel them as litter trays, but are about A4 size and have shallow sides, and that way if anyone wants to swim, their area stays dry and the plastic tray can just be dried out.

Can you get the crocks/bowls that attach to the cages. I actually use those for our bunnies treat/special hay. I'll try to get a picture of them for you.

Susan:)

Ah yes but I have one bun who thinks it's hilarious to push the bowls down the stairs of his hutch and break them, so he doesn't generally get a bowl, seeing as he has broken 3 already.

The other one loves to pick things up and throw them in joy, and so tips his over all the time.

BUT that litter tray idea is a fantastic one- thanks. I actually use an A4 sized litter tray for Pippin cos he "goes" in all corners, and that way its easier to clean.

I've taken the socks off and tried crocks for now...I have always used ceramic ones.

Thanks for the advice- will try that.

:)

Latest posts

Back