Help!! Diareha....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlenenicole

Reaction score
My little Leilu, the one that just had the babieshas diareha really bad. Everyone tells me to keep her food dish full..igive her plenty of pellets but greens seem to give her diareha.I keepthem both strictly on romaine lettuce but i have given her spinach, hedosent like it.Should i just stop giving her lettuce altogether? I amjust afraid she wont produce any more milk to feed her babies with.

Did anyone see my pics on my 'New girl" post!!!

Yes, you should stop giving your little onegreens and any treats until the diarrhea clears up. Be sureto keep her hydrated, syringe-feed her water if necessary.I'd give her hay and old fashioned oats to firm things up for her.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

You might give her a little alfalfa hay sinceshe's milking. I'd offer her some pellets too.Sorry, I missed that she was milking.

-Carolyn

Thanks everyone for the advice i will try it andlet you know. SHould i give her more greens after the diareha clears upor just make it a strict hay and pellet diet?

I wouldn't continue giving her greens,darlenenicole. You could give her/him some in moderation, butit has been known to cause soft stools. The pellet foodsupposedly has everything your rabbits need and timothy hay gives therabbits extra fiber and keeps the digestive system running.

-Carolyn

Leilu still gets diareha, even after I took awaythe lettuce. Should I be worried, or would it just take awhile for herstomach to settle down? I am not really sure and i am getting a littleworried. I dont want to give her anything that will hurt her.

Did you try some old fashioned oats (Quaker Oats or rolled oats) andunlimited grasshay and water. What kind of pellets are you giving her?

If the oats, hay and a good quality pellet doesn't clear it up or showa difference in the softness of her droppings within 48 hours, I'd takeher to the vet.

If a rabbit becomes dehydrated, it will go into shock. That's why we so encourage you to make sure she has water.

-Carolyn

The pellet food should have at least 18% crude fiber. I'd stop alltreats (vegetables and everything) and stick with the oats, hay, andsome pellets until she clears up or you get advice from yourveterinarian.

Darlenenicole,

I would stop ALL vegetables and treats. Give only Grasshay, rolled oatsand Water. If she is not drinking on her own you must syringe feed herwater. If you fear her stopping feeding the kits. Try this. use a graintype bread Rye or wholewheat will do. Twice toast it so it is quitecrisp. Break into eatable pieces and place in a small bowl with Milk.Let the bread soak. It will absorb most of the mik. Place the bowl inwith the Dam. This will aid her milk supply. I have used this when I'vehad Does with large litters. Best of luck with this situation.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Leilu is doing okay now....She is actuallydrinking tons of water and sometime told that drinkink all of thatwater could give her soft stools. Is that true?

Latest posts

Back