Help, Could my Rabbit be Pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmes

Reaction score
HI,

I got my first rabbit on 17/2/13, she is a black mini rex, 1 year old, i was tld when i got her she had been spayed however tis orning she has started to build a nest and pull her fur out, i have booked her in with the vets on Saturday, but would just like some advice/toughts on the subject.

Many Thanks

How much hair is she pulling out? If there is a big pile of it in the area where she was nesting, expect babies in a few minutes...
If she truly was spayed she shouldn't be having phantom pregnancies, so I'm guessing that they may have lied to you.
Send pics?

Also, has she been around any males that you are aware of?

Thank you for our help, i am not at home with her at the moment when i left for wok this morning she was oly building with straw my boyfriend has since gone home and she has pulled out a line of fur from her tummy, i have no other rabbits but there were males for sale in the same garden centre and from the day i got her tomorrow will be 35 days, they had one rabbit there that wasn't on sale as a male had jumped over and mated with her, i am now starting to wonder if they have mixed them up or if it also happened to mine, will try and post pics of nest and her when i get home later.

If the store said she was spayed there is a good chance that they either mixed her up with another rabbit, or lied. Let us know what happens!!

P.S, I know how you feel about the keyboard. My keys are sticking :(

One other question i have is if she has babies, do i leave her to do her thing as i have read a lot about mums eating the babies, I have no idea what to do if she has them, do you know of any websites i can go to for help etc? :embarrassed:

If she is a first time mother, there is no way of knowing if she'll be a good mom or not. The chances of the babies making it aren't very good with a first time mother, or so I've read. If she has the babies in a nest then they should be fine (though nest box would be nice). If she has them out in the open of her cage and you catch them in time, warm them up and put them in a nest. You'll know if they've been fed if they have round little tummies. The only thing you can really do if she doesn't take care of them is try to feed them yourself, but I've heard that the chances of survival is slim with that. That's about all I really know. I was lucky enough that my rabbit seemed to know what to do with her first litter.

Is your rabbit inside or outside? In a pinch you can use a shoebox as a nesting box, but it needs to be a little bigger than the doe. It's true that first time moms don't always do things right with their first litter and lose them. Let us know if she does have kits and we can advise you, but most rabbits pretty much take care of their babies without much human intervention, and trying to hand feed newborns is not usually successful.

She is inside, in a large rabbit cage, i may have some kind of box i can use for her if it gets to that stage, thank you for your help :)

Just an update and a Thank you for all your help, turns out she had not been spayed, luckily we dont think she has been with any males so hopefully not pregnant, and because of the mix up they are going to pay for her to be spayed.
Thank you again for your advice :pinkelepht:

Latest posts

Back