Help controlling smell in rabbit shed w/out harming droppings 4 garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clalso

Clyde
Reaction score
I have a small insulated shed with a dirt floor housing six rabbits in 3'x3' hutches. I clean the floor every couple weeks but the smell is still quite strong. How can I control the smell without harming the droppings which I will later place in my organic garden?

Posting a picture. The screen area is where I allow my rabbits to individually have a day outside, weather permitting. I also hope to get some chickens later which I will house together with the rabbits or maybe some quail instead of chickens.

1123131353.jpg

Last edited:
Could you put some sort of drop pans or bins under the hutches to catch the droppings and then empty that more frequently?

I use Odormed. It can be on the fur of the animal and is still safe. Also do a wipe down with vinegar and water mix first. Then spray the Odormed, no need to wipe it away as it won't harm the rabbits.

My vet clinic sells it. Not sure where else to get it.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1385482919.080106.jpg

clean out your shed more often. (seriously) or find a way to catch the urine. That is what causes the issues.

building worm beds with good drainage can help
lime can help.
peat moss can do wonders.

adding some good ventilation will help as well.

whatever you use, make sure it is not harmful to worms or you won't be helping your garden at all.

I've heard good things about peat moss, just never tried it. We have worms living in the earth under our cages and they do a good job of keeping everything broken down and reducing the smell for the most part. Our only problem is when we go through days of rain and everything stays damp.

Be careful housing chickens with rabbits. Chickens carry coccidiosis in their poop and that can be fatal to rabbits.

Thanks, everyone! Great ideas. Appreciate the warning on chickens with rabbits. Any other ideas please let me know.

Cliff

Back